• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mwood65
    258 I6
    • Jul 17, 2017

Steering column swap

Hey all,

I swapped a 1979 Wagoneer steering column into my 1974 Cherokee because I thought they would be the same basically.......basically they are not.

My Cherokee has a manual column that was trashed on so many levels and the Wagoneer had a Automatic column that was nicer with tilt.

First thing I found out was that when you turn the key from "off" to "start" on the Cherokee the rod that goes to the ignition switch moves downward....

On the Wagoneer when you turn the key from "off" to "start" the rod moves upward...

I figured I could just rewire it. The plugs were the same so I just plugged it in to see what happened and to my utter confusion everything worked.
    I don't understand how it could unless the ignition switch circuitry is ran different inside the ignition switch.

Second difference is that the other plug is different for the power feeds to the steering column for flashers, signals, horn...ect...ect...

I have looked at the wiring schematics for the 74' and the 79' and think I have it figured out how to wire it and what goes where.... BUT...

Wiring schematics is my Kryptonite and I am not sure if I have it figured out as well as I think I dont....

Has anyone doe this before and have a picture or drawn up map of the wires or ANYTHING that could help me?

The ignition switch works so it starts and runs but I have no horn, brake lights, turn signals or emergency flashers......
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by mwood65
    ...but I have no horn,....
    I have nothing constructive to add because I have never changed over. BUT does this mean your horn does not bleep when you remove your key anymore?

Whenever I remove the key the horn bleeps slightly, I unplugged the horn and also noticed that when the key is off and you jiggle it the turn signal indicators flash so there has to be a short or ground problem or something. Just wondering if it is the lock cylinder (which is new) or the turn signal cam piece or something
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• mwood65
      258 I6
      • Jul 17, 2017

LMAO. yeah that is fixed now.

I always fix one problem by making a couple of new ones it seems.

Comment

• Wagoneer
        230 Tornado
        • Aug 03, 2018

I'm wanting to swap columns. I'm putting '79 wagoneer auto tilt column in my '73 auto wagoneer. Did you figure out the wiring? Anyone have a diagram they can post?

Thanks,
        Tom

Comment

• mwood65
          258 I6
          • Jul 17, 2017

There were only the 2 plugs down towards the bottom, The ignition switch & ???.

They both plugged right in.

The only problem I had was trying to put the 74' steering wheel on the 79' column. Either I screwed something up or they were different a little because the horn assembly wouldn't go on right & broke so I have no horn right now.

I am going to pull the wheel and try and figure it out........

Comment

• Wagoneer
            230 Tornado
            • Aug 03, 2018

Thanks Mr Wood. I am going to swap the complete column and wheel into my '73. The '79 has a nice spoke wheel. The '73 wheel is pretty basic. I just need to spray everything with SEM colorcoat so it matches my '73 interior.

Comment

Working...
            X