• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • COLOFIREMAN
    Gone,But not Forgotten.
    • Apr 09, 2005

Originally posted by The PIG Smith
    I know the Cummins 4BT your are looking is just a long block, but one reason it is pricey, is that the Cummins 4BT are highly sought after.
    This is due to their compact size and power potential.
    If you get the Cummins 4BT seller down to a price you could afford, I would jump on it.
    There is a whole community devoted to just this engine and swapping it into other vehicles.
    A forum community dedicated to Cummins 4BT Diesel owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about performance, modifications, troubleshooting, engine swaps, transfer cases, and more!

I would store that 4BT core, collect parts to rebuild it and other parts for the swap, like the transmission adapter, motor mounts,
    Diesel prepped transmission if automatic, etc.
    It would be a long term project.

This exactly what I am doing, collecting parts and pieces, when I can and when that become available.
    I also have a very limited budget as I have a wife and three kids to take care of and WAY to many hobbies and projects.

Cummins Adapter
    The Cummins B Series engine, 6BT and 4BT are generic engines, designed to fit most any type of transmission, pump, compressor, etc...
    How Cummins achieves this is by the means of an adapter on the back of the engine.
    The rear of the engine is not set up for any particular application, but for this adapter that is set up for most anything.
    There are manufacturers that build an adapter for the things Cummins did not.
    Destroked is one such vendor

This adapter is another reason why Cummins B Series engines, especially the smaller 4BT are highly desirable.
    Cummins builds a SAE adapter that would be a bolt it for that Spicer 3053.
    Because most folks opt for more popular automotive transmissions, like GM and Dodge units, that SAE adapter can be had for little or nothing.
    Lot of folks do not care to mess with a tranny that appears to be as big as the 3053 (which it really is not) and has the odd shifter pattern.
    Another SAE tranny that work great behind a Cummins B Series engine is the Fuller Roadranger 6 Speed FSO-6406a.

Really though I've been at that same crossroads and ended up driving Chicago and buying a running driving ex-chip company delivery van. Pulled the motor on both vehicles and then had a baby, well the wife did. Anyways I'm all for the 4BT. It'll give you all the power you'll ever need unless like Mikel said your towing alot with heavy weight.
    Jason in the Mountains
    1978 J10 LB,OE 4-speed,4:10's,4BBl,and just 85K(daily driver)
    1988 Grand Waggy 8" lift 35" A/T's (under construction)
    1984 CJ7 12" lift 39" Iroks 1 tons
    1979 Cherokee Super Chief (under construction )
    1974 J-10 LB Buick 455 BB 4" lift 33" BFG tires
    1973 J-4800 LB plow truck 7" lift 255/85/16 LT Truxs MT's

Comment

• imiceman44
      327 Rambler
      • Feb 25, 2006

Originally posted by uglyjeep
      As far as the 4bt locally, it's basically a long block that needs a rebuild. I know it is probably worth it as a core, but I wouldn't be able to get it on the road without spending copious amounts of money . Bugger.
      What is the machinework you need done?
      Is it to mate the 6.2 to the 3053a?
      I have the right belhousing if you need that.
      Then again I might trade you the 6.2 and the 3053a and what ever parts come with for my waggy
      IceMan

Comment

• uglyjeep
        232 I6
        • Aug 20, 2007

The machining was to get the engine balanced for the heavy flywheel and clutch. I have the bellhousing, adapter plate, flywheel, starter, etc. along with a brand new clutch kit. I don't have the trans, but they're relatively easy to get from a military vehicle part supplier. I do have a gasket/seal kit for the trans, though.
        The eternal project -'87 6.2 diesel, '75 cherokee chassis, t-18 & dana 20, & WT dana 44's(rear lock-right, front trac-lok) , '67 j-3000 cab ('75 dash & pedals, '67 column, "leather" astro bench), '33 IH D-1 (Willys Six C-113) bed.

'66 cj-6a tuxedo park

Comment

• imiceman44
          327 Rambler
          • Feb 25, 2006

The machining was to get the engine balanced for the heavy flywheel and clutch. I have the bellhousing, adapter plate, flywheel, starter, etc. along with a brand new clutch kit. I don't have the trans, but they're relatively easy to get from a military vehicle part supplier. I do have a gasket/seal kit for the trans, though.
          Oh I thought you already have it, because now that the mag published an article about how plentifull, strong and cheap these transmissions are, the prices went up to min $1000 according to my searches in the past 6 months.
          That was the cheapest, some wanted up to $2000 for a take off, with unknown condition.
          I could buy the whole truck from an auction for that much and use the multifuel engine with the trans.
          IceMan

Comment

• Eugene 1
            304 AMC
            • Feb 04, 2006

maybe a souped up Mercedes 300td engine or other Mercedes diesel engine??
            JEEP
            2005 Ram 1500 HemI

Comment

• bigun
              • Feb 10, 2003

Originally posted by Eugene 1
              maybe a souped up Mercedes 300td engine or other Mercedes diesel engine??
              Search it has been discussed here before
              charlie
              KB0HXA
              "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

Originally posted by Gambler68
              congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
              How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
              Robert A. Heinlein
              The birth of CROM is recorded here
              http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• Eugene 1
                304 AMC
                • Feb 04, 2006

i have to search that, it was not for me though i was just throwing my .02 cents in
                JEEP
                2005 Ram 1500 HemI

Comment

• uglyjeep
                  232 I6
                  • Aug 20, 2007

Originally posted by imiceman44
                  some wanted up to $2000 for a take off
                  $2000 WTF!!!! The MV surplus place near me wants $450 for a take off and $1000 for a full rebuilt. I've heard about a place in Los Angeles that gets 200 for take offs.
                  The hercules multifuel in the deuces is pretty clunky, I don't know about using one of them in any thing but a medium duty truck. It'd kinda be similar to someone running a detroit 6v53, but at least the detroit cranks out massive amounts of power.

Hmmm... I wonder how an aluminum block 353 detroit would do in a jeep truck. It be loud as all hell, and kinda slow, but it should get good mileage. I know some aluminum 353's were bolted to sm420's. But with that engine you'd need an overdrive.(and earplugs)
                  The eternal project -'87 6.2 diesel, '75 cherokee chassis, t-18 & dana 20, & WT dana 44's(rear lock-right, front trac-lok) , '67 j-3000 cab ('75 dash & pedals, '67 column, "leather" astro bench), '33 IH D-1 (Willys Six C-113) bed.

'66 cj-6a tuxedo park

Comment

• imiceman44
                    327 Rambler
                    • Feb 25, 2006

$2000 WTF!!!! The MV surplus place near me wants $450 for a take off and $1000 for a full rebuilt. I've heard about a place in Los Angeles that gets 200 for take offs.
                    The hercules multifuel in the deuces is pretty clunky, I don't know about using one of them in any thing but a medium duty truck. It'd kinda be similar to someone running a detroit 6v53, but at least the detroit cranks out massive amounts of power.

Hmmm... I wonder how an aluminum block 353 detroit would do in a jeep truck. It be loud as all hell, and kinda slow, but it should get good mileage. I know some aluminum 353's were bolted to sm420's. But with that engine you'd need an overdrive.(and earplugs)
                    I guess the guys down south are not too greedy, up here they are.
                    IceMan

Comment

• bigun
                      • Feb 10, 2003

Detroit 3/53 in a CJ7

Isuzu in a YJ
                      charlie
                      KB0HXA

congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
                      Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• uglyjeep
                        232 I6
                        • Aug 20, 2007

**** that 353 is sweet! Here he is pulling a chevy up a muddy hill http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXoZRe9cuZA !

Today I'm heading over to look at a 75 cherokee, and if I could only convince my dad to let me pull the 353 from his gama goat (m-561)...

I wonder if a 6V53 is to wide/heavy to fit?

Man would it be cool to have a screamin' demon under the hood of an fsj.

'66 cj-6a tuxedo park

Comment

• bigun
                          • Feb 10, 2003

When I worked as a fueler at the truck stop the joke was you could tell when a driver had a Detroit, he would get out and say " check the fuel and fill it up with oil".
                          charlie
                          KB0HXA

Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

• uglyjeep
                            232 I6
                            • Aug 20, 2007

Originally posted by bigun
                            check the fuel and fill it up with oil
                            Sounds about right. The 353 in my dads 'goat over the years has left a thick greasy oily mess in the sealed-bottom engine compartment.

'66 cj-6a tuxedo park

Comment

• imiceman44
                              327 Rambler
                              • Feb 25, 2006

Sounds about right. The 353 in my dads 'goat over the years has left a thick greasy oily mess in the sealed-bottom engine compartment.
                              Is the 353 the size of the engine in cubes or is it a 3 cylinder 5.3 liters?
                              IceMan

Comment

• The PIG Smith
                                King Browless

• Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by imiceman44
                                Is the 353 the size of the engine in cubes or is it a 3 cylinder 5.3 liters?
                                353 = 3 cylinders X 53 cid = 159 cid total displacement

The Detroit Diesels of the 353 style are two stroke engines.
                                They are very loud, very noisy and can be smoky.
                                I cannot overstress the noise level.
                                While two stroke Detroit Diesels were very popular, they have not been produced in several years.
                                While parts maybe hard to find, especially for these smaller units, they share the some of the same parts as their bigger brothers.
                                For example: A cylinder head for a 6V53 (V6) will fit on a 353 (I3)
                                A cylinder head for a monster 8V71 (V8) will fit on a 471 (I4)
                                Pistons from one 53 series engine will fit on any 53 series engines.
                                So, lots of parts are interchangeable.

Anyway, back on topic: For a Diesel powerplant in a FSJ, a GM 6.2/6.5 or Cummins 4BT/6BT are the best ways to go.
                                Sure, with enough time and $$$, you can make anything work, but the afore mentioned with produce good results and there are plenty of folks to ask for help.
                                If you would choose a Diesel engine from a John Deere cornbinder and then when you get into a bind and need help,
                                there will be few that would be able to offer assistance.
                                Last edited by The PIG Smith; 02-26-2009, 05:42 PM.
                                Bryan Smith
                                2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
                                - 75th Anniversary Edition - 1941 Trim Package - Recon Green
                                1986 Jeep J20
                                - Super clean rig from the AZ/CA state line
                                1982 Jeep J10
                                - Has become a Long Term Project.
                                1981 Jeep J20
                                - Commercial flat bed - Lost in a Divorce --gone
                                1987 Jeep J20 Pioneer
                                - Former Rick Bielec aka Ricbee plow rig. Major rust!! --gone

IFSJA Member #1933 Joined November 30, 2001

Originally posted by Jayrodoh
                                ...but if it works, I wouldn't touch it.
                                Originally posted by Lindel
                                Best laid plans, yada yada yada...

Comment

Working...
                                X