• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fulsizjeep
    Señor Jackhead
    • Aug 21, 2002

Nice discovery - Thanks!

Wow, if I had known that in July, I would have done this when I installed the J20 gear box upgrade on my 88 GW.

Ryan - Since there are clearly more XJs in Durango than Mancos, you mind getting one for me too?
    Flint
    Ran when parked.
    http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
    88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
    76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
    http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• 86gwrhino
      327 Rambler
      • Sep 28, 2010

awsome!
      id much rather have a ujoint than that stupid rag joint.
      '86 Grand Wagoneer
      Chevy 350 TBI
      Rhino grill
      rusty's 4in all spring lift

'67 (i think) M715 all stock w/pto

Comment

• asphaltrockdweller
        350 Buick
        • Jul 09, 2009

So will this work on mid 70s (IE:1976) as well?

I was looking at the Borgsen Steering shaft, but this sounds kinda cool?
        (Ristow)fram!....that deserves a ratchet upside the head.

Comment

• The Colonel
          360 AMC
          • Feb 21, 2010

Originally posted by asphaltrockdweller
          So will this work on mid 70s (IE:1976) as well?

I was looking at the Borgsen Steering shaft, but this sounds kinda cool?
          No sure on the earlier rigs, check your lower shaft out and compare it to the XJ.

Comment

• Gambler68
            Rabble Rouser
            • Feb 29, 2004

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
            Nice discovery - Thanks!

Wow, if I had known that in July, I would have done this when I installed the J20 gear box upgrade on my 88 GW.

Ryan - Since there are clearly more XJs in Durango than Mancos, you mind getting one for me too?

Aren't some of the shafts different sized/spline count? I seem to recall something about that..
            1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
            1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
            The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
            Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• fulsizjeep
              Señor Jackhead
              • Aug 21, 2002

Originally posted by Gambler68
              Aren't some of the shafts different sized/spline count? I seem to recall something about that..
              Something like that... When I put the 76 Cherk steering column in the 77 J20, I found the lower section of the shaft was bigger in diameter on the J20 column and had to swap it on the Cherk column. When I put the 79 J20 steering box on the 88 GW, it fit right up to the 88 steering column.
              Flint
              Ran when parked.
              http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
              88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
              76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
              http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• will e
                Always Broke
                • Nov 16, 2001

wow, and I paid big bucks for the borgenson (or however you spell it) at BJ's. Oh well, next rig I will know better.
                82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• Serious Johnson
                  AMC 4 OH! 1
                  • May 19, 2002

Thankyouverymuch! Snooping parts now to go with upcoming S10 box swap.

S.J.
                  "Carpe Mañana".

'83 Wagoneer
                  360, .030-over, K8600 cam, Crane springs, ported heads, Edelbrock Performer, G.M. TBI, TFI, 3" exhaust,
                  T-18a/208, D44/AMC 20 w/ limited slip in both, 3.73s, 33s, BDS 4" springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, etc., etc.

Comment

• Gambler68
                    Rabble Rouser
                    • Feb 29, 2004

Hey now we raid the baby jeeps for parts instead of the other way around! MWAHAHAHHA.
                    The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
                    Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Rich88
                      AMC 4 OH! 1
                      • Nov 20, 2008

'splain why?

OK, I'm stupid on this one...

Never had a problem with, nor ever paid attention to any rag-joint issues. So question is: What typically goes wrong with rag-joints such that an XJ lower shaft would be more better?
                      Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
                      88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
                      "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."

Comment

• Gambler68
                        Rabble Rouser
                        • Feb 29, 2004

Originally posted by Rich88
                        OK, I'm stupid on this one...

Never had a problem with, nor ever paid attention to any rag-joint issues. So question is: What typically goes wrong with rag-joints such that an XJ lower shaft would be more better?

They are a wear item that contributes to sloppy steering..it's an ancient design as well that AMC figured worked 'good enough'. They do soak up power steering fluid and oil really well though!
                        Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Rich88
                          AMC 4 OH! 1
                          • Nov 20, 2008

Originally posted by Gambler68
                          They are a wear item that contributes to sloppy steering..it's an ancient design as well that AMC figured worked 'good enough'. They do soak up power steering fluid and oil really well though!
                          Tnx...I'll go do a "flex" check. May learn something. I't's been a while since I discovered a new problem anyway.
                          Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
                          88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
                          "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."

Comment

• Gambler68
                            Rabble Rouser
                            • Feb 29, 2004

Originally posted by Rich88
                            Tnx...I'll go do a "flex" check. May learn something. I't's been a while since I discovered a new problem anyway.
                            well it's like the weather..wait long enough and something will break
                            Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Nick1224
                              232 I6
                              • Jun 05, 2002

I grabbed the lower half from a 96 XJ this weekend. Went swap it in, but for the life of me I can't seprate the Waggy lower from upper linkage. I moved the bushing down, but to no avail. Any suggestions? Thanks
                              88 GW...6.0/4l80e/241c swap. Just finishing loose ends. Old MSII TBI wasted spark for sale.

Comment

• The Colonel
                                360 AMC
                                • Feb 21, 2010

Originally posted by Nick1224
                                I grabbed the lower half from a 96 XJ this weekend. Went swap it in, but for the life of me I can't seprate the Waggy lower from upper linkage. I moved the bushing down, but to no avail. Any suggestions? Thanks
                                The waggy shaft doesn't come apart as easy as the XJ. I just gave mine a few good hits with the hammer and it came right apart.

Comment

Working...
                                X