• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FSJ-Earl
    304 AMC
    • May 02, 2003

BACKFIRING / EXHAUST ISSUES

My 83 J10 w/ 258 and stock carb, has been backfiring like crazy lately. What causes backfiring? I also noted that the very END of my tailpipe is REALLY hot, enough to blister skin, ask me how I know. My 89 GW tailpipe NEVER gets that hot, nor does my wifes 90 GW. I have a manual choke and I need to keep it at least 1/2 choked to keep it from stalling at stop signs and red lights. Any ideas? THANKS!

EARL!
    FSJ-Earl
    2002 F350 Diesel - tow rig / family hauler
    2008 4 door JK Rubicon - Wife's Daily Driver
    1989 GW - the one that started it all
    1983 - J15 - J10 body + J20 running gear = J15 Trail rig
  • Lindel
    Perfesser of Jeepology
    • Jun 15, 2000

Sounds like a very bad vacuum leak to me.
    Jeep Grounds
    RRV Homepage
    Texas Full Size Jeep Association
    1987 Grand Wagoneer
    AMC 360/TF727/NP229
    1999 Wrangler Sport
    4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• billyrb
      BJ's Off-Road
      • Aug 15, 2001

Backfiring tends to do with too much unburned fuel being dumped into the exhaust, then igniting. That can be due to running very rich (not as likely) or timing being off (more than likely). When the timing is off, unburned fuel is dumped into the exhaust, and the valves aren't completely shut, allowing part of the combustion flames to go through the exhaust, thus igniting it and causing backfires / incredible heat in the exhaust system.

Just a few suggestions: check timing & check mixture.
      BJ's Off-Road
      [email protected]
      Your source for '63-'91 FSJ Parts

Comment

• rustywagoneers_com
        304 AMC
        • Feb 02, 2006

possible timing chain also, but that is down the list a little... also look for liquid fuel running out of the booster venturis as the engine is running..

peace
        Dave
        There is no way to rule innocent men.
        The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals.
        Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them.
        One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.

Comment

• FSJ-Earl
          304 AMC
          • May 02, 2003

Timing is fine, Zack and I just put in an HEI a few weeks ago so the timing is good. I would most likley lean towards the carb problems. I hate the carb on the 258, I need to repair / replace this thing in the near future.
          FSJ-Earl

Comment

• billyrb
            BJ's Off-Road
            • Aug 15, 2001

When I mentioned timing, I was also thinking that it might have jumped timing. But, when you installed the HEI, are you sure you weren't a tooth or two off? I'm guessing that since Zack was helping, that wouldn't be the issue, but worth asking to be sure.

For carb mixture, you can do what lots of folks are starting to do: buy or build your own AFR (Air-Fuel-Ratio) meter with LED's. Most have a 5 LED display, and you typically want 3 bars for perfect mixture. You install an O2 sensor in your exhaust, and connect the wires to the little meter (you can build one for around $50), and that way you can always be 100% sure that you have a good mixture on the carb.
            BJ's Off-Road
            [email protected]

Comment

• Ristow
              • Jan 20, 2006

are you backfiring through the pipe or the carb?
              i think you're lean,and it's popping through the carb,if you were rich,choking it at the stop signs would make it worse.

being a couple teeth off on the distributor install would only mean you would have to rotate the housing a little more to correct the timing-15 degrees btc is 15 degrees btc,regardless of distributor orientation.
              Originally posted by Hankrod
              Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
              ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
              I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• brent
                304 AMC
                • Feb 14, 2003

Backfire/exhaust is like a virus. You live with it intermittently, it's always dormant, you can't kill it, and when the engine is cherry and running prime it comes out of nowhere like a cold sore.
                Like that? I didnt think so. Grades were posted today and I got an A in my grad-level poetry workshop. The high should wear off any minute now.
                Only posting because the symptoms you described happened to me in an isolated incident and the $759 K&N air filter was so plugged I couldn't see daylight holding it against the sun. Re-adjusted carb screws ever so slightly after dousing the $879 K&N air filter in gasoline and dish soap. Things were back to normal. Absence of air, in other words.
                Quite often with me its the 1% of the chances and that's not a good thing. Good luck Earl, I know you've put a lot of dough in your beasts.
                Brent
                PS--If I lived as close to Zack and his gadgets as you do, Zack would have my picture with a red stripe thru it on the shop wall with the words "86 on sight unless carrying cash"...
                79 J10 360-T18-D20 D44's 31X10.5 Edel 1406 w/R4B, speed
                -despite thousands invested, 360 in putrid death dance-

"Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride."

Comment

• FSJ-Earl
                  304 AMC
                  • May 02, 2003

I am backfiring through the exhaust - 2 - 3 foot flames last night, it was pretty cool! I am pretty sure that it is all carb. I need to get rid of or do some work on the stock carb. I am too cheap to spring for a Weber!

Originally posted by Ristow
                  are you backfiring through the pipe or the carb?
                  i think you're lean,and it's popping through the carb,if you were rich,choking it at the stop signs would make it worse.

being a couple teeth off on the distributor install would only mean you would have to rotate the housing a little more to correct the timing-15 degrees btc is 15 degrees btc,regardless of distributor orientation.
                  FSJ-Earl

Comment

• NVJEEPER
                    327 Rambler
                    • Feb 24, 2006

are you still running the air pump? Maybe the diverter valve aint functioning. Vacuum hose loose in that system or something?
                    Damon
                    '85 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• shackwrrr
                      360 AMC
                      • Mar 04, 2006

the coke thing and the REALLY hot tailpipe tells me that your running WAY lean. change the fuel filter now and see what that does then check some other things that would couse that
                      Jeepless

In to Turbo crap now

Comment

• War Wagon
                        350 Buick
                        • Feb 26, 2002

The War Wagon did this when I first got it. 3 foot flame out the tailpipe
                        I rebuilt the carb and that fixed the problem. That sure pissed off my son that it would not do it any more.

Jim
                        Last edited by War Wagon; 05-22-2006, 05:44 AM.
                        I may not be good but I am good at it.

78 Wagoneer "The War Wagon"
                        81 J10 Truggy "The War Buggy"
                        83 J10 Sport Side
                        CFSJC Uwharrie Rep.
                        07 JK 2dr Rubicon
                        09 JK Unlimited Rubicon

Comment

• billyrb
                          BJ's Off-Road
                          • Aug 15, 2001

If you still have the stock carb, you might have a blown power valve and be running very rich. Is it hard to start in the mornings (ie, 10-15 pumps of the go-pedal to get it to fire)?
                          BJ's Off-Road
                          [email protected]

Comment

• FSJ-Earl
                            304 AMC
                            • May 02, 2003

oh yea, every AM it takes 10 - 15 pumps of the accelerator to get er to fire up.

Originally posted by billyrb
                            If you still have the stock carb, you might have a blown power valve and be running very rich. Is it hard to start in the mornings (ie, 10-15 pumps of the go-pedal to get it to fire)?
                            FSJ-Earl

Comment

• 91G-Dub
                              360 AMC
                              • Aug 21, 2004

I had a similar problem with my GW and it was a combination of things:

1. Dizzy roter was chewed up
                              2. Couple of vacum leaks
                              3. Carb way out and needed to be adjusted

I didn't have the flames (man oh man that would be b@#$hing at night) but the 10-15 pumps and backfiring, burping and farting like at drunken sailor when it was cold.
                              91G-Dub = Bill Houston

1979/1980 J-10 Junkyard Dog 258 4 speed D44 front AMC 20 rear 3.31 Lincoln Locker Status Running
                              1991 Grand Wagoneer Gray Ghost (bone stock) STATUS Gone but not forgotten

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
                              It is its natural manure."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                              X