• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mass
    232 I6
    • Sep 26, 2017

Serehill style harness?

My question is... Is there anyone making a Serehill style plug and play for our jeeps? If not I'd be willing to make a few to sell.

I'm planning on building the complete harness from the ground up with 12 gauge cross-linked polyethylene wire for the load side, waterproof relays, aircraft grade butt connectors and ring terminals, heat shrink, ceramic sockets, etc.

I also think it would be cool to build these to be plug and play where all you would need is super basic tools.

I'm in the process of redoing my temporary headlight relay harness with quality parts. I bought an Ebay harness and really didn't like how cheap it looked so I grafted it together using some good used shelf parts in an effort to get it working. Now I want to redo it the right way with good parts and add a special feature for fog/driving lights.
    89' GW 6BT Cummins
  • johnsonic
    258 I6
    • Mar 12, 2015

Z&M makes the harness: http://stores.zmjeeps.com/headlight-...h4-conversion/
    1984 GW
    Comp 260H
    Harland Sharp Roller Rockers
    Wiseco -21cc Forged Pistons
    Performer Intake
    Holley SA 670
    MSD 8523
    Dakota Digital custom cluster
    Serehill headlamp harness
    NWMP aux tank

1987 GW deceased
    ...but the parts live on

Comment

• nograin
      304 AMC
      • Dec 19, 2000

Rob (screen name crackedback) will make them
      and sell kits too. E-mail or PM him if interested.
      He's got a prototype for the SJ's.
      Here's his ad for the Chryslers.
      Headlight relay kits that are essentially plug and play. There is a substantial increase in voltage at the headlight, increasing light output performance. Light output degrades exponentially with voltage input reductions. These kits also take headlight amp loads off the fragile bulkhead...

Dan Stern is another source of kits.
      Cibie, Hella, Marchal, Carello stockists. E-code headlamps, fog lamps, driving lamp, bulbs, and full technical support and assistance

He also is one of the few in the US who tries to stock Cibie products.
      Sometimes he can be a little overboard in applying his point ov view to other people situations in emails and phone calls. ie. I asked for a replacement headlight (Cibie) and in his repsonse goes on about making the sidemarkers blink with the turn signals. Uh. The wagon's fronts already do that, and my car is pre '68 so there are none.

If you just need some individual items, poke around or ask.
      I like marine grade wire and I can get it from the local boating places by the foot in a wide selection of colors.
      The connectors use 'Packard 56' open barrel terminals accept for the headlights themselves. They use a wider version either of the same style, or the Chrysler/Ford type that look similar to AMP Fast-on terminals.

I'll post up some links tonight if you want.
      '85 Grand Wagoneer
      360 727auto, NP229
      body by beer (PO)
      carries wood inside
      no "wood" outside
      My other car is a fish

Comment

• Mass
        232 I6
        • Sep 26, 2017

z&m wants $189? Jeeez! I can't afford that. I sourced all the top shelf parts and came up with ~$40 to make my own.
        Looks like selling them is out the window. too much competition lol

I prefer making my own harnesses anyway. I'm ocd with it and love to watch it come together. Why does everyone want an arm and a leg for a simple harness?

Nograin, I love the marine wire for anything outside the engine bay. It's especially perfect for anything running in the frame rails or outside the cab. It's a little pricey but worth it.
        I prefer gxl under the hood though due to the higher temperature rating. Prolly wont reach 125C but it seems good to me.

Packard 56 for the headlight side or relay side?

I'm thinking I'll do 10 gauge all the way and redundant relays/breakers for each side. Essentially isolating each side to its own circuit. I like the safety margin in the event of a relay failure or breaker trip. ..Also going to use sta-kon or AMP terminals wherever possible.

Think I should I do a write up on it?
        89' GW 6BT Cummins

Comment

• letank
          AMC 4 OH! 1
          • Jun 03, 2002

Tell us where did you source the parts?
          20 years ago I used regular automotive wires and hella headlights relays and 12 gauge wires when I installed the H4 headlights
          The ceramic sockets and the thermal are a nice touch

Edit: I bought Rick's Headlight wiring for the 85 a few years ago, and it was such a nice clean design, a real plug and drive.
          Last edited by letank; 11-21-2018, 09:49 AM.
          Michel
          74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
          85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• 8man
            304 AMC
            • Jan 04, 2011

Rick made his harnesses one at a time, when someone wanted one. He used parts similar to what you are suggesting, in his opinion only the best parts. It was truly a plug in system! No electrical experience and you could do it anyway.

I would encourage you to put a picture of one in the homegrown for sale section, at a "more" reasonable price than some of the ones you were told about and see if there is interest. If I hadn't done both of Rick's harnesses I would be.

He also did a great tailgate window harness. We rebuilt the stock Jeep switch for RT so the tailgate switch looks stock as it sits in the dash, but works like the newer rocker switch that he used. Really simple switch rebuild. His harness came with the newer rocker switch which is what I'd recommend. If someone wants the old switch, just rebuild it to work.

Good luck.
            79 Cherokee S (current project)
            82 Cherokee (parts for the 79)

Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• Mass
              232 I6
              • Sep 26, 2017

How much did Rick sell them for?

I'm sourcing the parts from a few of my favorite places.
              globalspec.com
              newark.com
              mouser.com
              possibly Summit racing
              Like everything, though. Cost goes down with volume.

Looking at using USA made OMRON (personal favorite) weather proof relays but price may be prohibitive.

I'll be doing a cost comparison spreadsheet on 3 different configurations.

Roughly speaking
              1. 12 gauge w/summit or Hella relays
              2. 12 gauge left/right full redundancy, summit or Hella relays
              3. 10 gauge w/OMRON relays

I had a headlight relay straight up fail a few years ago and thank god the moon was full so I could see the road enough to pull over. I must have PTSD because now I'm weird about the redundancy.
              Plus you can run 12 gauge with a HUGE safety margin when you only have 1 headlight and maybe a fog on each circuit.

I have a feeling I can make a high quality harness and sell it for around $80 shipped. Gotta see how it turns out.
              Give me a few weeks and I'll have one posted over there for sale. I'll also take pics for a possible write up.

Tailgate and window regulator relays are definitively on the list.
              89' GW 6BT Cummins

Comment

• 8man
                304 AMC
                • Jan 04, 2011

Mass, here is the link to Rick's headlight harness. If you read through it, it will explain how he changed what/how he built it over the years and what he charged for it. Good luck.

Over 400+ soldOver 400 sold After a few conversations it has come to my attention a need for a wiring upgrade to the headlight systems to Halogen or quad lamps. I have ordered some parts & will be building these. The reason I am venturing into this is because in the last few months I have seen these links for headlight
                79 Cherokee S (current project)
                82 Cherokee (parts for the 79)

Member FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• levelhead
                  232 I6
                  • Nov 04, 2016

I've got a Serehill harness in my 88 GW and would buy a quality harness at that price ($80) for my 77 Wag.
                  1988 GW (2)
                  1980 Cherokee Laredo
                  1979 Wagoneer
                  1976 J10 401
                  1977 Wagoneer 401
                  1977 J10 4 speed
                  1969 J3000 (2)
                  1955 CJ3B
                  1964 Wagoneer

Comment

• Mass
                    232 I6
                    • Sep 26, 2017

Well I mulled over the numbers and I settled on what harness I'm building. Already ordered the parts and I see why Rick used those $1.50 "Install Bay" relays. The Hella waterproof relay and plug is $28 ..but that's what I decided to use.

I'm using:
                    Hella 40 amp waterproof relays
                    delphi connectors for relay and ceramic plugs
                    Molex and 3M splices/ring terminals
                    EATON circuit breaker
                    12 gauge GXL wire
                    and proper amount of electrical tape, heat shrink, and wire loom

This will truly be a terminal to terminal build.

Also looks like if I decide to sell this harness It'll be $90 shipped

I'll post pics when I get it built. Might be a few weeks
                    89' GW 6BT Cummins

Comment

• mark
                      304 AMC
                      • Jun 14, 2000

I'm interested in one.
                      mark<br />76 cherokee chief<br />chevy 502 t-400 np-205<br />dana 60 front corp 14 bolt rear<br />fiberglass fenders and quarters<br />(ABOVE THE LAW)(AND UNDER CONSTRUCTION)<br /> http://<br />&#91;URL=http://www.fsjworl...91;/URL]<br />

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
                        AMC 4 OH! 1
                        • Jul 18, 2003

I built one for my YJ and have thought about building one for my cherokee. However my biggest problem is finding a quality headlight connector. I have found the ceramic ones, and bought a couple, but the metal terminals in them were super thin and cheap. So bad, they would not even stay on the bulb.
                        What bulb sockets is everyone here using?
                        79 Cherokee Chief 401/T18/D20, MPFI fuel injection, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
                        Future mods: Caddy 500/NV4500/NP205, HP D60 front D60 smooth botom rear, 5.13 gears, 35x12.50's on H1 beadlock wheels. Warn M12000 winch.
                        93 Wrangler 4.6 stroker/AX15/NP231,SYE,CV, OME 2.5 lift, front hub conversion/big brakes, 31X10.50's Warn M10000 winch.

Comment

• JPSwapMohn
                          304 AMC
                          • May 01, 2004

I would also be interested in quality headlight and tailgate window harnesses.
                          One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
                          http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
                          95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
                          50 CJ3A
                          77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD

Comment

• Mass
                            232 I6
                            • Sep 26, 2017

Sounds like there's definitely enough interest to make them to sell.
                            Jeepsandguns, that was another problem I had with the cheap harnesses. Cheap everything.
                            I'm ordering TE connectivity brand aka (AMP) brand terminals from mouser to go in the ceramic sockets. Like I said earlier, terminal to terminal build. There isn't going to be a butt splice on everything. No weak links so to speak.
                            89' GW 6BT Cummins

Comment

• nograin
                              304 AMC
                              • Dec 19, 2000

Rick's design involved splices and it sound slike what you are planning is different. More like what Rob makes and Dan Stern shows on his website. That's basically what I made for my car, except made that one permanent, not plug in.
                              FWIW, in the end I settled on marine in-line fuses directly off the alternator. One for high, one for low. They go to relay plugs that attached to the inner fender. The relays plug in so its easy to swap one out if it fails. For the headlight connectors, IIRC I reused the original ones because the parts store ones seemed junky.

Supplies.
                              Waytek Wire seems to carry better quality items in general.
                              I recently bought some terminals and small items from Eastern Beaver Motorsports. I noticed they offer 3 prong headlight connectors and plugs that are pretty compact. In fact one of the items I bought from them were 5/16 wide Packard 58 style terminals. Most of their products are Japanese made of decent quality. Worth checking out. Shipping took about 2 weeks.

Susquehana Motorsports may have Bosch relays. I havent looked in a while.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, Dan Stern and I think Rob both stock and sell better quality connectors and relays. If you just need a few and dont want to hunt, that's probably the easiest route.
                              '85 Grand Wagoneer
                              360 727auto, NP229
                              body by beer (PO)
                              carries wood inside
                              no "wood" outside
                              My other car is a fish

Comment

Working...
                              X