• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jjkage84
    327 Rambler
    • May 18, 2011

A Woody Finds a New Home!!!

Okay,
    I was going to pick up an 86 woody in St. Louis, Mo for 500 bucks, (note to anyone in the area, he may still have it). the only problem was that he didn't have the rear back seat and it looked like years of pollen and sap coated the body and the interior was literally rotting away.

*For those who may be interested, just type in Jeep Grand Wagoneer in St. Louis CL and he has it listed for $900.00 with no pictures.

So anyways, I bring a buddy of mine who's also a mechanic along for the ride. On the way he finds if funny that we're going to pick up a GW because his grandma has one just sitting in her yard that is "actually in pretty good shape". I tell him to call her and see if she would be willing to sell it and let me make payments to her cause I definitely ain't ballin lol. He calls her up and she says she would like to get 800 for it but since it's one of his friends she'd sell it to me for 500. She tells him it does need a new carb though. Fair enough.

We get to St. Louis, look at the GW and my buddy pushes me back in the car and says, not just "no", but "Hell NO, not until you see my grandma's!" Again, fair enough.

We get back to his grandma's house and this is what we find.

I had bought a new battery for the Jeep in St. Louis already that morning so we popped it in, poured a bit of gas in the carb and to everyones surprise... She fired right up! Poured about 4 gallons of gas in the tank (the old gas had long since been syphoned out) some more in the carb and she fired up and ran... This jeep had not been driven since 04! I put it in reverse, backed up a bit, put it in 4 high and drove her right out.

I had my buddy follow me home 30 MILES AWAY! Washed her up, very quickly, and now the fun begins!

I've ripped out the old nasty headliner, kind of a bummer that it was nasty but had to get it out. This one has the sunroof and the wire head liner rods in the back. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to get a new one to work out. The sunroof doesn't open so I have to figure that out. She definitely needs some TLC but she's going to be just fine. All the window's roll up and down, including the rear. The only thing is the drivers side window has broke from it's window motor track? (Not sure if that's the right term). I can "roll" the track down and actually push the window down and when I roll it back up the broke end meets the window and pushes it back up and holds it there. I'll change all the fluids before I do anymore driving on it but she does run pretty good, slight hesitation at take off but other than that she seems to do fine. I need to get a lift kit just to get rid of them old worn out springs, new shocks, steering dampener and all other general maintenance before I can even think of doing anything else. I bought this rig to have a good, dependable vehicle that I could do most of the repairs myself.

Future list of upgrades once proper maintenance is finished:
    Rip out carpet and rhino line interior, probably a DIY kit though

4" suspension lift from BJ's. 6" scares me about drive train issues and the fact that this will be a DD and I'm not worried about huge tires. Just want something I can pull off on a logging road to go camping and such

Take off paneling and rhino line 12-14" along bottom and around and in wheel wells

New paint job (probably same color

Get rid of the vinyl roof or redone... probably get rid of lol

New headliner

Bluetooth Radio and new speakers

Bumpers

Needs new tires for sure!

Needs a driver's side door panel. the actual "skin" looks really good so I'm considering making a new skeleton for it, plexi glass maybe?

And I'm sure that there's many, many more things that I need and will "Want" to do

Let me know what you think/suggestions. I'm new to the FSJ world and am all ears (trust me, if you seen me, you'd believe me hahaha, j/k... kinda)
    Anyways, stay tuned for updates and more pictures. I'm a picture nut and love looking at everyone elses rigs so I plan on putting up a boat load!
    Last edited by Jjkage84; 05-23-2011, 10:06 PM.
    1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=141075

www.youtube.com/JeepKage101

Keep Calm and Jeep On!
  • austinaubinoe
    360 AMC
    • Aug 08, 2010

I thought that looked like a vinyl roof........ good luck with that

For being in a ditch thats looks really clean. I would strip everything from the inside and take care of any rust. The wheels, bumpers and stainless look sharp! Expect the roof to be very crunchy . Maybe get it repainted. Do you plan to cut the fenders, or just run a straight 4" lift?
    Last edited by austinaubinoe; 05-22-2011, 12:40 AM.
    Austin

1991 Hunter Green Grand Wagoneer
    5.9 2bbl-727-NP229-TFI-30x9.5 Firestone M/T's-Brush Guard-tire mount
    SOON: 4350 and cast iron intake

Others:
    -1994 Baby Grand
    -2000 XJ cherokee on Tons
    -1953 REO M35A2 6x6
    -1955 Willys Pickup

Originally posted by rustywagoneers_com
    i am not an addict, i can stop anytime.
    i dont have a problem, you people have the problem.

Comment

• Jjkage84
      327 Rambler
      • May 18, 2011

Yep, you're right, a vinyl roof lol... Yay... I found a place in St Louis that does them, as well as the headliner. I've got a bad condition most us jeepers have that's known as "Yeah, I can fix that." syndrome. However, for the prices they were quoting on the Internet it might be worth it to just let them do it.

I plan on running the 4" w/out cutting the wheel wells. Not sure what size tires I could fit with that set up, 31, maybe 32's? Boy a WT cOnversion would be Saweet!
      1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Keep Calm and Jeep On!

Comment

• 66Stepside
        350 Buick
        • Dec 23, 2010

Wow, that's a great score- especially with a sunroof!

You're a lucky dog!!

Can I call dibs on those center caps now?
        Last edited by 66Stepside; 05-22-2011, 05:35 AM.
        52 M38
        54 Willys Truck
        56 Willys Wagon
        60 FC170
        66 J3000
        68 M715
        70 1414C
        71 J2000 Quadcab

Comment

• KaiserMan
          I got the Willys....
          • Jun 21, 2005

Nice looking 84! I wish mine still had the sunroof and factory vinyl top. Lousy PO!
          Thomas Russell
          1987 Cherokee Laredo 2-Door 4.0/AW4
          1971 Gladiator
          J2000 Platform-Stake Dump 350/T18

1970 Gladiator J3000 3407Z Camper Truck 350/T18
          1968 Wagoneer Custom 327/TH400

Comment

• Jjkage84
            327 Rambler
            • May 18, 2011

Thanks folk! Not sure if the sunroof and vinyl top is a blessing or a curse! Lol. I can't get the sunroof to work, and it leaks. I was hoping I'd get a better idea on his to fix it once the headliner was down... Nope. It's motor runs but for some reason the actual sunroof doesn't even budge. Any ideas or tips on that would be greatly appreciated! The vinyl top is kinda growing on me, I'm thinking of a black top, black rhino lining along the bottom with the gold body will look pretty sharp. But, the money it's going to cost me to do the top is honestly, money I'd rather spend elsewhere. That's how it goes though.
            1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Keep Calm and Jeep On!

Comment

• 66Stepside
              350 Buick
              • Dec 23, 2010

Check aound the edges of the sunroof for traces of silicone, or other 'water proofing' chaulk... also, when you get the headliner off, check the tracks and retracting mechanism, too.

You can buy new seals... BJ's, I think, or elsewhere.

A buddy of mine scored a super wagoneer someone grafted a Grand Waggie sunroof onto and after we removed the 'water proofing' by the ppo, lubed the retracting gear/rails, it worked like a charm. It sure did leak afterwards!
              52 M38
              54 Willys Truck
              56 Willys Wagon
              60 FC170
              66 J3000
              68 M715
              70 1414C
              71 J2000 Quadcab

Comment

• Brizio
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Apr 11, 2008

Very nice congrats!
                brizios.com
                Small Scale Jeeps
                Brizios

Comment

• Jjkage84
                  327 Rambler
                  • May 18, 2011

Thanks folks, just trying to figure out this picture uploading thing and I ended up figuring it out.
                  More pics to come tomorrow morning!

Oh yeah, quoted at $600.00 bucks to get a new vinyl top and headliner done. I don't think that's too bad considering I wouldn't even know where to begin.
                  Last edited by Jjkage84; 05-23-2011, 10:08 PM.
                  1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Keep Calm and Jeep On!

Comment

• lunchbox1671
                    350 Buick
                    • Sep 22, 2010

Nice find!

$600 for a vinyl top??? Save your money and just roll on some bedliner material on the roof!
                    1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief Sport 4 door N/T.
                    -AMC 360 with RV cam
                    -T-15A, Dana 20
                    -Dana 44's, 3.54's,
                    -32x11.50r16's

Comment

• lunchbox1671
                      350 Buick
                      • Sep 22, 2010

...and do the headliner yourself by recovering a junkyard headliner with some material of your choice from a fabric store...

Probably cost you less than $100 all said and done!

1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief Sport 4 door N/T.
                      -AMC 360 with RV cam
                      -T-15A, Dana 20
                      -Dana 44's, 3.54's,
                      -32x11.50r16's

Comment

• jeepjseries
                        350 Buick
                        • May 30, 2009

Sweet looks like a project in progress!
                        -2000 Volkswagen Jetta diesel
                        -1976 Wagoneer 401/Turbo 400/QT with 4 low/Dana 44s

Comment

• Jjkage84
                          327 Rambler
                          • May 18, 2011

Thanks folks.

Washed my engine today, here's some before and after pics

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Not the best cleaning job but it'll do for now.
                          1984 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

Keep Calm and Jeep On!

Comment

• polarfire
                            258 I6
                            • Apr 01, 2010

Just FYI, there is a great little place just west of Warrensburg called B&J Autoworks. They are located in Jonesburg, MO and they do great body, paint, and interior work for good prices. They mostly do hotrods and customs but they did the seats and headliner in my friends XJ and it turned out great and he was very happy with the price. They don't have a website but their number is 636-488-3131.
                            '78 Cherokee S Levi's 4-Door (SOLD)
                            '84 J10 Shortbed
                            '83 Cherokee Chief WT (SOLD)
                            '82 J10 Sportside Honcho
                            '82 CJ-8 Scrambler
                            '77 CJ-5 Renegade
                            Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Comment

• Headhoncho
                              AMC 4 OH! 1
                              • Oct 11, 2006

Originally posted by Jjkage84

Not the best cleaning job but it'll do for now.

You went from this to that and you're complaining? Most people leave them dirty to hide all the rust.

JR
                              [quote] "How does someone from Iran have a BJ's Offroad sticker but I can't seem to get one sent to New Jersey???!!!"

1980 Honcho Sportside w/37's, 351c, 14" lift, D44high pinion w/Aussie, crossover steering, 14b w/detroit, np435, 205, 5.13's, 4whl discs, hb brakes, OBAir, rusted out cab,
                              1966 mustang fastback
                              '07 Dodge Charger 3.5

Comment

Working...
                              X