• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vintagetrks
    304 AMC
    • May 01, 2009

Cherokee S vs other Cherokee Packages

What is the Cherokee S option/designation as opposed to the Cherokee Cheif and Cherokee Laredo and Cherokee Sport? Are these designations just levels of options on each model or is there huge differances between the models?
    New Full Size Jeep Nut

I'm just a washed up old has been, Army guy.
    My opinions are outdated... After all, what have I done lately? I used to be somebody "A SOLDIER!"

04 Jeep Wrangler "Lil Ninja" 32's 2in lift swaybar disconnects
    90 Grand Wagoneer "Big Mama"
  • Tornado230
    350 Buick
    • Sep 14, 2008

Basically level of trim.
    The "S" designation was used from '74 models up to 78 or 79. It didn't really stand for anything but a fancier model than the base Cherokee.
    The Chief was introduced in 1975 as a wide-track model. Later Chiefs, '81 and later were either 2 or 4 door models.
    The Laredo was also a trim option.
    The Sport designation is for the later "small" Jeep Cherokee, came in late in the production run, not certain of the date, but it was used to delineate the model from the larger "Grand Cherokee".

Comment

• vintagetrks
      304 AMC
      • May 01, 2009

Cool Thanks alot. I was thinking it was trim levels but was'nt quite sure being some are NT and some are WT unless thats a year specific thing.
      New Full Size Jeep Nut

My opinions are outdated... After all, what have I done lately? I used to be somebody "A SOLDIER!"

Comment

• Tornado230
        350 Buick
        • Sep 14, 2008

You could get the wide-track with the "s" designation, as well as the Chief designation. Not too many wide tracks without the Chief stripes and such.
        I almost bought a new one in 1978, but changed my mind because of obvious deficiencies with it. That's another story, just a little too long to discuss here.

Comment

• vintagetrks
          304 AMC
          • May 01, 2009

Originally posted by Tornado230
          You could get the wide-track with the "s" designation, as well as the Chief designation. Not too many wide tracks without the Chief stripes and such.
          I almost bought a new one in 1978, but changed my mind because of obvious deficiencies with it. That's another story, just a little too long to discuss here.
          So what was standard? The WT?
          New Full Size Jeep Nut

Comment

• Daace
            232 I6
            • Apr 12, 2008

Originally posted by Tornado230
            Basically level of trim.
            The "S" designation was used from '74 models up to 78 or 79. It didn't really stand for anything but a fancier model than the base Cherokee.
            The Chief was introduced in 1975 as a wide-track model. Later Chiefs, '81 and later were either 2 or 4 door models.
            The Laredo was also a trim option.
            The Sport designation is for the later "small" Jeep Cherokee, came in late in the production run, not certain of the date, but it was used to delineate the model from the larger "Grand Cherokee".
            This could explain that my 4 doors '83 has a chief 3 tone stripes interior such as the chiefs with two doors. I was wondering which trim it was.
            ---------------------------------------
            Fabrice

1998 ZJ Grand Cherokee 5.2 V8 Limited D44 R Flexfuel
            1983 SJ Cherokee 4dr 258 I6 T176 NP 208 being restored
            1979 SJ Cherokee 2dr Golden Eagle 360 V8 TH400 Quadratrac W/T
            1989 XJ Cherokee 4Dr 4.0L Limited NP242 + 6.5 rough country LPG fuel

Comment

Working...
            X