opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want to say that I THINK I remember the engine coming out of the rolled over wag that the body came off of. That would imply some pretty horrendous G-forces at play that day (or bad motor mounts).
    David "If all else fails, read the instructions."
    83 Wag Lt,BJ's 6"lift,360/727/Pinned229,D44/trac-lok,AMC20/lock-right,35/12.50 Baja MTZ,Pro-Jection EFI.
    10$ NP229 fix http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=2520

Comment

• lunchbox1671
      350 Buick
      • Sep 22, 2010

They have pro's and cons. Just like suspension lifts. And block lifts. And SOA's. And any other major modification.

If your goal is larger tires, a body lift will help. The main point of running larger tires (aside from looks) is to gain ground clearance for your differentials/axles. Suspension lifts do not increase axle ground-clearance, at all. It's all about tire size.

A body lift can keep your center of gravity a little lower, also (which is a good thing on these rigs).

With a body lift, you will retain factory suspension and handling characteristics.

You will not need an alignment with a body lift.

If you're tight on money, I say go for it. Nothing over 3" at most, that would put a lot of stress on your body mounts.

Besides, you can always add a suspension lift later on down the road when you save up some more $!
      1979 Jeep Cherokee Chief Sport 4 door N/T.
      -AMC 360 with RV cam
      -T-15A, Dana 20
      -Dana 44's, 3.54's,
      -32x11.50r16's

Comment

• Hippie Metal
        327 Rambler
        • Apr 11, 2009

Originally posted by Chevelleguy
        I want to say that I THINK I remember the engine coming out of the rolled over wag that the body came off of. That would imply some pretty horrendous G-forces at play that day (or bad motor mounts).
        Where is this story/picture?
        1984 GW T18/205

Originally posted by TheDude
        Garrett called me maybe 30 minutes ago with a blown tire, but knowing PBR is on the line not much can stop us

Comment

It happened a few years ago and the owner/member posted pics.
          David "If all else fails, read the instructions."
          83 Wag Lt,BJ's 6"lift,360/727/Pinned229,D44/trac-lok,AMC20/lock-right,35/12.50 Baja MTZ,Pro-Jection EFI.
          10$ NP229 fix http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=2520

Comment

• Suddendeath
            327 Rambler
            • Dec 26, 2010

I have no experience with FSJ body lifts, but I will give you my body lift experience with my previous truck...

I had a 1994 Ford Explorer, solid axle D44 front end and ford 9" rear axle swapped in. 3" body lift. Total lift was like 11-12", running on 35's about to upgrade to 38's. I got hit head on by some dude in a honda CRV. I flew through the air at about 40 mph, landed on my side, rolled over and ended up in a ditch. My front axle was gone, my coil springs had exploded out the side of the truck and my radius arms were bent in half.

My body was still very firmly attatched, with no bending/sagging/otherwise negative effects cause by my body lift.

Just my $.02. Does this apply to FSJ's? Maybe. Maybe not. But they're not horrible kits. Am I gonna body lift my wag? Nope, mainly because I dont want to since I'm getting all the lift I want out of my SOA. But its your call, since it's your truck.
            1990 GW:
            Mopar 440/727/229/D44F&R
            10:1, XE250H, DIY TBI. 4.10 locked f/r, SOA/SF, high steer, all the other fancy goodies. Check out my build on FSJNETWORK.

Comment

• SBJeep
              350 Buick
              • Aug 14, 2003

It happened a few years ago and the owner/member posted pics.
              That was Treeshark. It would be worth seeing those pix again. Crazy accident.
              Tom - '90 GW(Gone)

Comment

• serehill
                Gone,Never Forgotten.
                • Nov 22, 2009

Jeez

Everyone is all over the map on this one. The only issue I had was that I had to loosen the bolt on the shifter linkage & slide it down some. I've never had any other issues with mine & would do it again. Although I did a 4" spring lift also I have 7 inches of lift & no driveline angle problems. Everyone has there own opinion that's mine. I'm stable can tow & have tons of clearance ( Tire & Engine bay). I own a tall narrow vehicle & realize it can turn over adding lift multiplies those odds. It's not the vehicles fault & my body is certainly well attached to the frame. If the concern is rollover after lift that's goofy. The job done well isn't the cause of roll over anymore than any spring lift would be. Especialy SOA on stock springs. So as usual it's what you intend to do with your rig really determines whether a body lift is right for you. BTW I'm running 33's you could do it with just the lift. If your staying on the street & want to retian a good ride then body lift is worth consideration. Body lift maintains a lower center of gravity than any spring lift.
                Last edited by serehill; 04-09-2011, 07:29 AM.

80 Cherokee
                360 ci 727 with
                Comp cams 270 h
                NP208
                Edlebrock performer intake
                Holley 4180
                Msd total multi spark.
                4" rusty's springs
                Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• Headhoncho
                  AMC 4 OH! 1
                  • Oct 11, 2006

Originally posted by five16
                  My personal opinion is that the only time to do a "body" lift is for a little extra after the suspension lift is completed. But even then I am only about 10% for it. Mainly, I just don't like the look.
                  I honestly don't like to look either as the frame is more visible under the cab area. I prefer it tucked underneath out of view as much as possible.

JR
                  [quote] "How does someone from Iran have a BJ's Offroad sticker but I can't seem to get one sent to New Jersey???!!!"

1980 Honcho Sportside w/37's, 351c, 14" lift, D44high pinion w/Aussie, crossover steering, 14b w/detroit, np435, 205, 5.13's, 4whl discs, hb brakes, OBAir, rusted out cab,
                  1966 mustang fastback
                  '07 Dodge Charger 3.5

Comment

• Headhoncho
                    AMC 4 OH! 1
                    • Oct 11, 2006

I think you're right.

Based on this info we should ban rubber engine mounts as well as body lifts.

JR
                    [quote] "How does someone from Iran have a BJ's Offroad sticker but I can't seem to get one sent to New Jersey???!!!"

1980 Honcho Sportside w/37's, 351c, 14" lift, D44high pinion w/Aussie, crossover steering, 14b w/detroit, np435, 205, 5.13's, 4whl discs, hb brakes, OBAir, rusted out cab,
                    1966 mustang fastback
                    '07 Dodge Charger 3.5

Comment

• rmorit01
                      350 Buick
                      • Nov 13, 2004

I couldn't find the original thread - but here is the picture from another post from mattmopar440 - you can see the engine is out, body is off and the frame (with front wheels) is off to the side - I would have liked to see a picture of the frame to see if the frame was broken.

I thought I recalled this occurred after an ECI invasion, but I might be wrong:

79 Cherokee S

Comment

• streetglide
                        232 I6
                        • Feb 06, 2009

That's one ugly picture right there..!
                        I have never liked big body lifts myself either, but..... I did special order a 1" lift thru BJ's for my truck just to gain some easier access to certain things under it for future wrenching.
                        84 J20..Down to frame resto at the moment. http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=98908
                        69 Dodge Coronet(Super-wanna-Bee)
                        77 Dodge M880

Comment

• chr1s
                          360 AMC
                          • Jun 17, 2003

Originally posted by Headhoncho

Based on this info we should ban rubber engine mounts as well as body lifts.
                          lol.

(here is the thread with pictures from the accident http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...293#post781293 good thing the search button is broken )
                          87 Grand Wagoneer -(UNDER CONSTRUCTION)- "TROLL SMASHER II"
                          88 Grand Wagoneer- GONE
                          "many miles away, there's a shadow on the door, of a cottage on the shore, of a dark Scottish lake......many miles away..."

Comment

Working...
                          X