Building a Wide Track Wagoneer ... Finally!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JPSwapMohn
    304 AMC
    • May 01, 2004

Building a Wide Track Wagoneer ... Finally!

I guess it is about time to start a thread..

Realizing I was never going to get this thing done on my own, I have turned it over to Page Customs outside of Richmond, VA. They have the rear flares roughed in. Thy will strip the body, fill all the holes from rivets and roof rack, prep and paint. I will keep the color to myself for now.
    I can't afford to have the shop do everything I would like, but it will be a giant leap toward the vision I have had for many years.

Here is a link to the shop's progress: http://gallery.pagecustoms.com/albun10

new website: https://www.pagecustoms.com/project/...rand-wagoneer/

They will update it regularly with progress, which I appreciate since I am up north and they are outside of Richmond, VA.

Some things to be worked out:
    1. I have a set of '09 Grand Cherokee Overland seats that I want to use. Looks like this will take some engineering. Based on initial mock-up, I told the shop that I would work on that part when I get it back. I can't afford $100/hr for them to play trial and error for mounts, etc.
    2. I want to integrate a few things into the dash that resemble the older ones. I was going to do a complete swap, but the HVAC, etc. and timing are a concern. We will see.
    3. A center console will be built that integrates the trans and TC floor shifters, etc. We will see how fancy this gets..some of you have built some pretty amazing stuff that gave me a lot of ideas. I will most likely be doing this part myself as well.. my time doesn't cost me $100/hr.. 8^)
    4. A roll cage /safety cage will be built, but I am taking it to a specialty shop to do that. I am not building a race cage. I want it to minimize intrusion into the passenger compartment while providing protection from roll-over. It will be set up so that it can be taken out if needed to get to headliner, etc. and tied into the frame.

There are other details in the plan, I will share as we go.

The axles are from a late model J20 sitting on BDS 4" springs. I took them to East Coast Gears in NC to be rebuilt. They did me right on building a new rear D60 after finding the bearing races in the one I bought had deep spiral grooves in them. They used their new center and installed very heavy duty tubes at proper length and set it all up to bolt directly into the GW at what I felt was a very fair price. They also built the front. Rear has disc brake conversion and a Grizzly locker. The front has a TrueTrac. I went with 3.73 gears instead of the 4.10's that were in the D44's. This will put the engine at slightly lower RPMs for highway cruising but still work well for any towing I may do.

For now, drive train remains the same: Golen-built LT1, 4L60e, with a NP242 with SYE (I wanted to AWD capability to still be there and 242 had AWD, 2WD, 4H and 4L). I would love to upgrade to a 6.0/6L80e but that will have to wait on funding. If my trans gives out on me (it is showing signs) I will have to decide on putting more money into it or taking the plunge. The 4L60e on the back of the LT1 (95-96) is not compatible with the later 2-piece cased 4L60's.

More to come...
    Last edited by JPSwapMohn; 03-23-2022, 08:16 PM. Reason: update title
    One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
    http://imgbox.com/g/rNuIasKYrS
    95YJ, STaK 300, D44's, SOA, ARB's, 4.56s, Bilsteins, 35" KM2's
    50 CJ3A
    77 J-10, 360/T-18/D20, SOLD
  • bwwhaler
    258 I6
    • Apr 17, 2012

Following on other site, Looks awesome, when finished, be sure to bring it to ECI so we can all drool.
    87 GW 360 performer intake Holley 670 HEI
    Razor Grill 4"BJ's springs 32's CS-144 Serehill's light and tailgate harness

Comment

• rang-a-stang
      Administrator
      • Oct 31, 2016

They work fast! Where did those gorgeous, rock solid flares come from?
      Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
      (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
      79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
      (Cherokee Build Thread)
      11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
      09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
      00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• JPSwapMohn
        304 AMC
        • May 01, 2004

8man had them squirreled away, but he ended up sourcing a NOS widetrack body (yea..really!) and was kind enough to sell the flares to me.

Love the collective support on these forums. Folks helping each other with parts and knowledge keeps our old rigs on the road.
        One day I will wake up and realize that my jeep is complete...one day, I just know it.

88Wag, LT1/4L60E/NP242, F150 fuel cell, discs, J20 axles, Truetrac & Grizzly, 3.73
        50 CJ3A

Comment

• Full Size Jeeper
          304 AMC
          • Jul 20, 2014

This is a really cool build. Looking forward to the progress.
          1978 Wagoneer

401/turbo 400 trans. Quadra-Trac BW1339 (with Low) 4" Rusty's lift with 31" Summit Mud Dawgs

Mods:
          Fuel Tank, Red Holley Fuel Pump, Razor Grill (profile pic out dated), Rebuilt steering box

Comment

• rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

I love this! Jeep should have offered the 4Dr wide track. I was surprised to see that they opted to modify the front of the rear wheel wells and the doors to keep from attaching the forward part f the flare to the doors. It looks great. Can you provide more pictures of the wheel well modifications to match the flare?

Comment

• SOLSAKS
              304 AMC
              • Jul 25, 2016

that is going to be a bad rig when complete !

those wide fender flares do a lot for the beefy look.

good ideas for the project, glad you found someone willing to do the work.

dave in NC
              SOLSAKS - dave
              1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
              1982 J-10 Fleetside
              1988 grand wagoneer
              2004 RUBICON jeep
              Benson, NC

Comment

• JPSwapMohn
                304 AMC
                • May 01, 2004

RockLawrence, I went with the method used on the widetrack wagoneer that some company out in CA used when they offered the widetrack version, and the one that is on the forum (have really poor connection here or would look it up).

Going this route opens up the whole wheel well for tire clearance. If attaching the flare to the door, you loose some of that because the door is still there in the wheel well.

I did tell the shop that I was ok with either route as long as the whole well was open for tire clearance. They opted for my preferred method. This is a somewhat new direction for this shop. They typically do restorations or restomods, but know that this sort of 4x4 build is becoming a thing and they wanted to get into it.

It is tough to find a shop willing to do this sort of thing, and I wanted it done better than I might ?one day? get to do myself.

I can?t express how excited i am to finally see this thing getting closer to where i invisioned it. It ain?t cheap by any stretch, but i have confidence it will be right.

I have to make a decision on interior as the dash needs to be done while they have it apart. I will have to have the rest of the interior (including the abs panels from a forum member) done later when the checking account stops smoking..

They toss up new pictures somewhat regularly, which is a great help since I can?t swing by due to other obligations.

50 CJ3A

Comment

• cu4whln
                  304 AMC
                  • May 16, 2008

Watching, where is that shop located ?
                  It's not yours 'til ya bleed on it . . . https://forums.ifsja.org/core/images...s/rolleyes.png

1977 "401" 'Da Chief
                  1979 Chero: "Madness" [Sold]
                  1972 J4000
                  1985 CJ : Renegade -locked and loaded
                  2005 Unlimited Rubicon - Built
                  2012 Artic JK 4 door, 2016 JK 2 door

'Da Chief here: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...ighlight=chief

Round 2- LT Swap: 'Da Chief:
                  http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=188457

"Madness" build here:
                  http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=89280

Comment

• FleetFox
                    258 I6
                    • Apr 04, 2018

I'm in the area if you need anything. FleetFox

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                      360 AMC
                      • Oct 02, 2002

Love the metal work getting done. I will look forward to more. That guys shop is way to clean.
                      Melford1972 says...
                      I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
                      -----------------------
                      I make wag parts
                      1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                      1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
                      1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
                      1968 M715 restomod
                      2001 Dodge 3500
                      2002 Toyota Tundra
                      2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
                      Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021
                      Keep a small violin, There is always a worse story than your own

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                        Administrator
                        • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by Kaiserjeeps
                        ... That guys shop is way to clean.
                        HIS shop is clean?!?!? HAHAHAHA!!! Your pics show YOOOUUURRR Shop is way to clean!!!
                        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                        (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                        79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                        (Cherokee Build Thread)
                        11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                        09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• JPSwapMohn
                          304 AMC
                          • May 01, 2004

Page Customs is outside of Richmond, VA.
                          And they do have a ridiculously clean shop.

50 CJ3A

Comment

• JPSwapMohn
                            304 AMC
                            • May 01, 2004

The cage is going to have to wait awhile due to the reality of my funds. I have great dreams, but the savings account and the household accountant keep me in check, literally..
                            It will get a cage, as I have seen too many photos of what our GW
                            Last edited by JPSwapMohn; 10-15-2018, 04:58 PM.

50 CJ3A

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                              304 AMC
                              • Jul 25, 2016

clean shop = less lost parts or.... no lost parts

one guy did a full resto on a car for me over a 5 year period

and i cant tell you how many parts he lost, then i would search and find a replacement part, pay thru the nose, then a day after i buy it
                              he would call and say " i found the missing part "
                              some parts he did lose and never found
                              and we are talking hard to find parts, some NOS

i was glad to be done with that shop !!!

so CLEAN SHOP = GOOD !!!

dave in NC
                              SOLSAKS - dave
                              1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
                              1982 J-10 Fleetside
                              1988 grand wagoneer
                              2004 RUBICON jeep
                              Benson, NC

Comment

Working...
                              X