X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steelfish
    327 Rambler
    • Apr 01, 2005

Worth the effort you say? I am looking at doing the same thing on my '83. It needs a lil zap.
    www.ucora.org = United Christian Off Road Alliance Come Check it out.
    79 J-20 360/T-18, D20 "PARTING OUT"
    81 Jeep Wagoneer Brougham "For Sale" w/ or w/out plow
    79 Jeep CJ-5, 4.O H.O. T-150, D-20, Shackle reversal.
    95 Jeep Cherokee XJ "trail rated" Ask ME

Comment

• Spectre
      AMC 4 OH! 1
      • Nov 26, 2004

Steel: Very much so. Check your PMs, I just replied to you.
      "Battlewagon": 1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (w/ Tow Pack) - Urban Assault Wagon under construction - TFI, TBI, CS144, Aftermarket Sanden, Explorer Power Seats, 4" Lift, 16" AHI wheels and much much more; click here for a full list of modifications and gear, links to writeups/posts and more info.

Daily Driver: Modified 1987 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas.

Comment

• tcossey33
        232 I6
        • Sep 02, 2002

Is this the right wiring setup for the TFI upgrade?
        87 GW- 360/727<br />all stock<br />90,000 miles

Comment

• TexasJ10
          360 AMC
          • Jan 03, 2002

Tim Smith, Thanks for sharing your experience with this. I think everyone that has done the TFI has done it a little differently and the results have all been spectacular. It was with mine. Since the tech article has confused many, I guess it should be updated. All the same, by postig your experience it looks like another whole group has gotten the TFI bug.
          * 1981 stepside, 360, 727, 208, almost stock daily driver.
          * 1982 Laredo j-10, 360, 727, in rough shape and in the process of being rebuilt with 401, NV4500, Klune,
          . NP205,d60 front, d70 rear, fender work and minimal lift. It will probably take 10 years
          * 1973 jcab mounted on 1983 j20 frame. 360/t18/208 d44/d60. Almost completed

Comment

• Grenadiers
            258 I6
            • Jan 02, 2003

I just bought the upgraded Ford 460 wires when I did my TFI. The wires were 8mm, and long enough to get around all the passenger side junk.
            Unicef Foster Child sponsored by a Canadian Family
            1985 Jeep Grand Wagoneer, excellent original condition.

Comment

• NO6YHY
              258 I6
              • Jan 11, 2004

Originally posted by tcossey33:

Is this the right wiring setup for the TFI upgrade?
              I left out the resistor on the wire going to the ignition coil. My coil gets a full 12V. I did however put a resistor on the red wire going to the ignition module, so the module doesn't get too hot. Other than that, mine is the same.
              \"The General\"<br />1976 Cherokee Chief W/T 360<br />Carter AFB-9635<br />TFI... Done!<br />TH 400<br />Borg-Warner Quadratrac hi-lo & part-time<br />Dana 44\'s (3.54)<br />Flowmaster<br />*uva uvam vivendo varia fit*

Comment

• Spectre
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Nov 26, 2004

All you have to do is clip the wires at the coil "horseshoe" and connect them to the TFI coil connector. No rewiring required.
                "Battlewagon": 1986 Jeep Grand Wagoneer (w/ Tow Pack) - Urban Assault Wagon under construction - TFI, TBI, CS144, Aftermarket Sanden, Explorer Power Seats, 4" Lift, 16" AHI wheels and much much more; click here for a full list of modifications and gear, links to writeups/posts and more info.

Comment

• Chris A.
                  232 I6
                  • May 24, 2005

I just picked up my 88 GW, 360, and have been having nagging idle and hesitation/stalling/backfire problems. After everything I've read, it looks like I might want to consider a TFI upgrade. Maybe that will help by situation.

Certainly cant hurt, right?
                  ********<br />Chris A<br />88 G-Dub<br />360<br />Bone stock<br />********

Comment

• letank
                    AMC 4 OH! 1
                    • Jun 03, 2002

nagging idle is more a vacuum issue...either the temperature control switch are busted or loose lines.... or likely a carb problem....
                    Michel
                    74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
                    85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• Anteloper
                      232 I6
                      • Feb 19, 2004

letank, can you or anyone else expand on temperature control switches... I have been struggling with getting my Jeep to idle.
                      Wrecked \'89 GW

Comment

• will e
                        Always Broke
                        • Nov 16, 2001

Glad it worked. I am going to do the same. I think my milage just took a dump. I will have to confirm with another tank of gas. I think the 2150 is leaking on me again. Might be time to do that holly projection swap.
                        82 Cherokee WT ? SFwith Alcan/agr box/Borgeson shaft/ 401/performer/Holley TA/HEI/BeCool/727/ALTAS(2.0/2.72/5.44)/D60 Snofighter(Yukon Zip,hubs,stubs,4.56)/14 Bolt (FF,BF shave,Discs, ARB,Artec Truss)/MTR 37/Corbeau Moab Seats /Hella/tuffy console/sliders/custombumpers&roll bar/WARN 8000/steering brace/CO2 Tank/dual batts/custom TCskid plate

Comment

• Steelfish
                          327 Rambler
                          • Apr 01, 2005

Hey all I am going to try to attempt this sometime today...any last words of advice?

Comment

• Spectre
                            AMC 4 OH! 1
                            • Nov 26, 2004

Check your PMs, Steelfish. I wrote you back.

Comment

• Steelfish
                              327 Rambler
                              • Apr 01, 2005

Which Plugs to use? did i buy the wrong ones I am mid stream and starting the plugs and they aren't matching.. what did everyone else use? ford 460 plugs or Jeep 360 Plugs....thanks guys I need help.

Comment

• Spectre
                                AMC 4 OH! 1
                                • Nov 26, 2004

The stock Jeep 360 plugs are the same ones used in TFI - equipped Ford 302 and 351s - Autolite 65s. Just set the gap at 0.44.

Comment

Working...
                                X