Inspection plate touches the flex plate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kairo1
    232 I6
    • Jun 10, 2014

Inspection plate touches the flex plate?

When I drive I hear a rattle thought it was an exhaust leak. Further inspection I noticed one of the bolts on the lower side of the inspection plate was backed off. With the motor running I pushed the inspection plate to tighten the bolt. However, when doing this the inspection plate touches the flex plate. How is the possible? )Recall my previous post about the 401 was rebuilt by the dealer that could not fix the rear main seal!)
  • mwood65
    258 I6
    • Jul 17, 2017

Could the flex plate be on backwards? I am sure it is offset one way or the other and maybe it's on wrong???

Comment

• 68glad
      350 Buick
      • Jun 01, 2006

Are they the original bolts? The flexplate bolts have a thin head. A regular size bolt head will hit if i remember correct.
      68 gladiator- 455/400/20 r.i.p.
      78 wagoneer- 401, drw60, drw70, 203/205, 38's, oba, obw, hydroboost, dual p/s pump, bla bla bla

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything."

Comment

• kairo1
        232 I6
        • Jun 10, 2014

Rear Main SealUpdate 1991 Grand Wagoneer w/401

Okay. Been a while since I posted the status of my rear main seal. So, the 401 ran flawless, no leaks, oil pressure above 55lbs while driving; 40lbs at idle.
        I attached my 3,660 lbs 1969 Airstream to the GW last week. Accelerating I heard the inspection plate noise as it touched the crankshaft. Only on accelerating was the noise audible. If I let off the gas, the noise disappeared. Arrive at my destination. Looked under the GW no oil leaks. Hmmm. I unhooked the AS, drove back to Vermont 149 miles. Oil pressure dropped below 40 lbs driving; nearly 10lbs at idle. Arrived home. Looked under the GW. Oil was literally running out of the engine...Rear main seal failure. The top of the inspection plate has crankshaft groves, burn marks from where it rubbed the crankshaft and bit of rubber on the edge. HMMM!

Recall until I attached the Airstream the GW operated perfect. Prior to last weeks trip, I drove the GW without the Airstream to Bangor, Maine like a wild man to find any issues. NONE! So, the 401 will removed on Tuesday. I'll take the long block to RPM Performance Racing Engines in Georgia, Vermont. Finally I'll know what the cause of the rear main seal failure.

My thought is torque converter is not freely moving on the shaft, pulling the crankshaft back toward the inspection plate with the load of the Airstream?

Comment

• Ristow
          • Jan 20, 2006

Thrust bearing and surface of the crank is gone. Get the crank welded and reground and replace the torque converter.
          Originally posted by Hankrod
          Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
          ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• kairo1
            232 I6
            • Jun 10, 2014

Ristow,

Which torque converter do you recommend for the 401 to 727?

Comment

• Ristow
              • Jan 20, 2006

transtar reman. i run the factory hi stall unit,about 400 rpm over the lo stall jeep used oem. cr54h is the number....but call and verify that.
              Originally posted by Hankrod
              Ristows right.................again,

... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• SOLSAKS
                304 AMC
                • Jul 25, 2016

kairo1

a wagoneer wit an airstream ?

man I bet that gets some looks from other motorists !

you prob already have before

but please post a photo of the wagoneer with airstream for us to enjoy !

dave in NC
                SOLSAKS - dave
                1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
                1982 J-10 Fleetside
                1988 grand wagoneer
                2004 RUBICON jeep
                Benson, NC

Comment

• kairo1
                  232 I6
                  • Jun 10, 2014

Ristow,

My plan is:

1. Take the 401 long block with flexplate and harmonic balancer to RPM Racing engines to do whatever it takes to fix my recurring rear main seal issue; External balance as well.

2. Install the original 727 which functions properly. I'll remove the new large oil pan from the 727 currently installed place it on the original 727. I had the replacement 727 rebuilt by some racing guy in Massachusetts. Maybe he messed up. I did not like the "hard shifting" in between gears when I stomped the gas pedal anyway. LOL. So, back to the original 727. Other than replace the two seals and install a new torque converter, what tasks should the transmission company perform on my original 727? The original 727 functions normally has 72,000 miles on it.

Comment

• Gadzooks2
                    232 I6
                    • Sep 19, 2006

There is a chance the flex plate itself is cracked. If so it may not show up unless under heavy load like towing, then it may move enough to rub..
                    78' J-9, 96' XJ

Comment

Working...
                    X