• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillyBob535
    258 I6
    • Jun 27, 2002

Dual York question/theroy

First of all I will start by saying that I have searched here and with Google and I have not found what I am looking for. There have been discussions here about mounting 2 York compressors side by side on the AMC V8 but it seems no one has done it or if they have then they are not dharing.

I want to have a York OBA setup and retain my York AC setup. It would seem feasable that you could stand the AC york up in its current mount since the york mounting bolt pattern is the same between both sides and the bottom. It would also seem possible to get mounting bolts 1/4" longer than stock then slip a 1/4" thick steel plate under the york with holes drilled to match the pattern. This plate would be long enough to mount another york next to the existing one and be drilled with a second york bolt pattern. You could source longer belts to drive both yorks and still have both belts on the alternator which would supply belt tension. You could slot the second set of mounting holes and drive the second york off the first with a short belt then use a stock belt to drive the first york and alternator if you couldn't get long enough belts to do it the other way.

So now the question arises, will the 2 yorks fit under the FSJ hood standing up?

If not, will they fit with the one closest to the motor standing up and the other laying on it's side?

Has anyone done this or at least attempted this?

Would 1/4" steel plate be strong enough to mount the second York without being guesseted (trying to keep it cheap and simple)?

I realize the battery could be in the way but it could be easily moved somewhere else.

Anyone care to add thier thoughts to this?

Edit:
    I have a working stock A/C system, I live in the south where it is hot, I have a york 210F 10.3 CFM compressor (from a volvo car but it has a jeep clutch assy on it) for the OBA side already bought. Using a different compressor or going to an electric would be out. I intend to run decent air tools off the system and have a large underbody tank to feed it (A big tank painted NOS blue with a NOS sticker would be great). I know how to do the rest of the OBA system so I didn't bother with the details on that.

Thanks.

Bob
  • BillyBob535
    258 I6
    • Jun 27, 2002

Someone has suggested that you could leave the stock AC York on it's side and put the OBA York on the factory bracket standing up. You could attach the 2 together by using some HD steel box tubing bolted to the base of the A/C one and the side of the OBA one. The box material would create the necessary space to clear the clutches (they stick out past the body).

This design would depend on the mounting structures on the first compressor to support the second compressor. Do you think the York case would support the second compressor?

Another angle on this would be to connect these 2 compressors in the above fashion and also run the 1/4" steel plate under both compressors. with the steel plate connected to both compressors and the compressors connected to each other, it should have the effect of guesseting the steel plate. What do you think?

If I was to join the 2 compressors to eash other and to the steel plate, do you think the stock AC bracket would support the weight of 2 compressors?

This design would depend on the availability on a belt long enough to run both compressors and the alternator as you would not be able to slot the mounts this way. It would also depend on being able to stand up the compressor in the OEM bracket. Fender clearance may be an issue but a sawzall could fix that.

Thanks.

Bob

Comment

• Frank in Norway
      327 Rambler
      • Jun 28, 2000

An extensive write-up detailing the installation of a York on-board air system in a Jeep TJ.

This is a site that has pictures of a double install. Not a FSJ but the brackets and setup could be used.
      I know there is other places with writeups out there, but I could not find them right now
      Frank in Norway
      http://www.fullsizejeep.com
      [email protected]
      '77 Wagoneer (360/TH400/QT, D60's, ARB's, 39,5's, Coil-spring)

Comment

• BillyBob535
        258 I6
        • Jun 27, 2002

That's not a dual York setup. Thats a York piggybacked onto a rotary (prolly a Sanden since it's in a TJ). The mounting system is totally different so those brackets would not work. It is possible to piggyback a sanden onto the side of an upright York. In fact you can buy a pre-made bracket to do so for $25. It would be easy to do this but I don't really want a Sanden. It would mean selling my York and buying a v belt Sanden, the bracket, and making an oiling system for the Sanden. I had a Sanden that I used for OBA on my old YJ and it worked fine but required a lot of extra work to set up for OBA. Doing that would defeat the purpose of using the inexpensive and easy to find high output York. The York needs no external oiling and fittings are readily available to set it up for OBA.

I considered using my existing York for OBA and piggybacking a Sanden for A/C duty but that would mean tearing apart my working A/C system and adapting line fittings or having new lines made along with changing over to R134.

Comment

• Subconscious
          327 Rambler
          • Mar 30, 2003

Wish I could help - but I hope you figure it out! When you do figure it out, please post how you've done it, I would like to do something like that myself.
          1987 Grand Wagoneer, bone stock 360/727/229, 44s w/3.31s front and rear

Comment

• BillyBob535
            258 I6
            • Jun 27, 2002

Here is a photochop of what I want to do just for clarification.

[ April 01, 2004, 07:16 AM: Message edited by: BillyBob535 ]

Comment

• Al Johnson
              350 Buick
              • May 29, 2002

The drawing looks like it should work, but I'm concerned about the short length of drive belt on the pulley of the OBA compressor. Looks like it would probably slip under load. If the actual belt path is different, and there's more engagement of belt on pulley, it looks great.
              Now running! a 360 GW engine in my Wrangler. Former owner of \'78 Wag with 401 and \'84 GW engine donor, RIP.

Comment

• BillyBob535
                258 I6
                • Jun 27, 2002

With the OBA standing up there should be less oiling issues with the York. With the A/C laying down there should be no performance issues as it comes that way from the factory (on the FSJ). The only A/C change would be to unbolt the compressor and move it to the left 6" and up 1/4". The Main concern here would be the ability of the stock bracket to hold the weight and hood clearance on the upright compressor.

Belt contact on the A/C compressor pully and the Alternator would be quite good but might be a lottle low on the OBA pully. With the factory dual belt setup this might not be an issue.

Anyone have any other opinions?

Better yet, does anyone here have an upright York on thier AMC V8 FSJ with no body lift? Does it clear the hood?

[ April 01, 2004, 07:22 AM: Message edited by: BillyBob535 ]

Comment

• BillyBob535
                  258 I6
                  • Jun 27, 2002

The belt routing in the pic is a guess. The way I see it the belt will be coming up to the OBA pulley at the same angle as stock as the pulley position is not really changing (it's going to go up 1/4" but that should not change the angle). The loss will be that the belt is no longer wrapping around the pulley it is going to the next pulley.

Is there a formula to figure out how much belt to pulley contact you need?

Comment

• pb
                    350 Buick
                    • Aug 28, 2003

I would think that since the compressors are so close together, they should be belted together, similiar to the power steering pump and air pump set ups.
                    Paul
                    1975 Wagoneer DD
                    360 with large cap ecm controlled HEI, TBI EFI, Comp Cam 260H, Edelbrock Performer Intake, CS130 alt, 4 row radiator, S10 steering box, QT w/LO, WT 3.54 D44 axles. Rancho 9000X's, ~4" lift, Caddy rear discs.

Comment

• Boogie77
                      258 I6
                      • Feb 12, 2003

Dave has pics of his...wg
                      Wayne
                      '77 Cherokee Chief W/T 360 2v/th400/QT stock

'77 Chero Chief W/T, 360, TH400/QT Edelbrock performer cam, Edelbrock intake and 1406 carb, Headers, Flamethrower HEI, 2 speed elec fan with t/stat, Dual batteries, Warn front bumper and winch, BJ's Dozer II rear bumper, full Tadrack, 4" BJ's suspension lift, 3" body lift, BFG 33x12.5

Comment

• Fornesto
                        350 Buick
                        • Jan 01, 2004

Call me crazy but why can't you use one compressor and install a t-fitting and a switch on the compressed line? When you need OBA, you turn the switch and you temporarily lose AC?

Just a thought.

Comment

• jode
                          JB Welder
                          • Apr 08, 2002

Originally posted by Fornesto:
                          [QB]Call me crazy but why can't you use one compressor and install a t-fitting and a switch on the compressed line? When you need OBA, you turn the switch and you temporarily lose AC?
                          QB]
                          YOU ARE CRAZY

Because compressed air is compressed AIR and A/C compresses a gaseous mixture (closed loop) of Freon. What you propose is impossible because you would lose your freon and the EPA would be gunning for you.
                          No FSJs for the time being - "I'm working on it, I'm working on it" (think Mike Meyers' SNL skit about the gut)

Comment

• jeepguzzi
                            AMC 4 OH! 1
                            • Oct 21, 2000

the cases are definitely strong enough to bolt together. Think about offsetting the 2nd york so that the belt has a more triangular route, that way you might get more tension on both pulleys.

I have done alot of thinking and tinkering with this idea, but have limited time and more pressing issues.
                            79Cherokee Chief<br />4\" BDS Lift<br />Custom Bumper <br />33\"x 11.5\" x 15\" BFG All-Terrains"<br /> T.H. 400 B.W.1339 Quadra Trac <br />Mile marker 16% O.D.part time kit<br />360c.i. Edelbrock pkg.<br />MSD ign. & coil <br/>Bored .030 over<br />Tri-Y headers<br />stainless steel exhaust<br />mustang seats<br />Holley 4bbl

Comment

• Fornesto
                              350 Buick
                              • Jan 01, 2004

Originally posted by jode:
                              </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Fornesto:
                              [QB]Call me crazy but why can't you use one compressor and install a t-fitting and a switch on the compressed line? When you need OBA, you turn the switch and you temporarily lose AC?
                              QB]
                              YOU ARE CRAZY

Because compressed air is compressed AIR and A/C compresses a gaseous mixture (closed loop) of Freon. What you propose is impossible because you would lose your freon and the EPA would be gunning for you.
                              </font>[/QUOTE]So, is that a no? Is it because the freon would make your tires too cold? Learn sumpin new every day!

Comment

Working...
                              X