• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JeepsAndGuns
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jul 18, 2003

My speedhut gauge install

Just finished installing my speedhut gauges. I am very happy with them. Quality is top notch. Made in the USA and a lifetime warranty.
    For a long time I have been wanting new gauges. The factory speedometer was the only gauge left in the factory cluster that was still working. All the others had been replaced by cheap parts store gauges screwed to the underside of the dash. I had also installed a tach with a large hose clamp to the steering column. Not pretty, but they worked. I first saw a quad gauge several years ago and loved it. I said to myself, I could replace the factory gauges with a new matching speedo, tach, and quad in the factory clusters 3 holes. It was not until recently I was in a position financially to be able to do it.
    So my search started for some gauges. Since I have installed fuel injection, and already had a speed sensor, so it made sense to ditch the speedo cable and go all electronic. My initial search on summit and jegs did not find anything I was really happy with. Most of the spedos and tachs were ok, but I did not care much for the quads, then the fuel level was not gonna be right. While searching on google, I stumbled across speedhut. I had never heard of this company, but browsing their site, I almost instantly fell in love. I was blown away by the near 100% customability. You can pick the face color, number color, the pointer needle, the font, the tick, and even what color it glows at night. No bulbs, the night illumination uses ectroluminescence, very cool. They also said they can do custom fonts and usually match many factory fonts.
    So with a few email exchanges, confirming they can do a custom job, I placed my order. I sent them a picture of my stock speedo and they went to work. They will make a picture preview of the gauge and email it to to. Then you go back and forth telling them yes, no, change this, etc.. and they keep at it until you are happy. It only took them a few attempts to get everything exactly how I wanted. I had them model the tach and quad font after the stock speedo font.
    Install was not to hard. I bought a used cluster bezel and simply cut and sanded the backside smooth, I then mounted the gauges in the stock holes. The gauges are held into place by a large plastic nut on the backside. The gauges are really shallow. I couldn't believe how thin they were. Wiring was straight forward. They came with the required oil pressure and water temp senders (that replaced my stock ones perfectly), more than enough wiring for them. The connectors are waterproof, and the wires are a nice wrapped cable (kinda looks like a small extension cord) There was enough cable for the fuel sender to go all the way to the back of my jeep to the fuel tank. One nice thing about the speedhut fuel gauge, is its programmable to any fuel sender. I purchased another sender online and used it to program the gauge. You simply hold it at full, set it, then hold it at empty and set it. You now have a accurate gauge for your sender!
    I bought the speedo that had the turn signal and high beam LED's in it. Simply wire in the stock wires for those. They come with a harness that connects all 3 gauges together and powers them all. Simple switched power and a ground. They all run through a single 3 amp fuse. Instructions say each gauge pulls about .2 amps. That's barely anything! They also come with another harness and a inverter to power the nighttime ectroluminescence. Simple power and ground for it. I just tied it into the stock dash lighting wire. It also comes with its own dimmer switch.
    Tach is programmable for about any engine/ignition system. It was already preset for a V8, so I didn't have to touch it. I went with a 0-6000 tach, as I never rev above 4k, and my rev limiter is set at 4800, so I saw no point of having a tach that goes to 8k or higher. Speedo is programmable for about any speed signal and pulse count. Simply use a GPS or another car with a accurate speedo, drive to a specific speed that you can pick in the menu, and then push the button. It then saves it and your done. You can reprogram at any time. So if you get new tires, change gear ratios, etc.. it only takes a few min to reprogram it.

Now for some pics. I used a couple LED's I got from the parts store as warning lights. The amber one is my check engine light, the red one is parking brake.

Closeup showing the gauge font:

To compare, here is a closeup of my stock gauges.

79 Cherokee Chief 401/T18/D20, MPFI fuel injection, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
    Future mods: Caddy 500/NV4500/NP205, HP D60 front D60 smooth botom rear, 5.13 gears, 35x12.50's on H1 beadlock wheels. Warn M12000 winch.
    93 Wrangler 4.6 stroker/AX15/NP231,SYE,CV, OME 2.5 lift, front hub conversion/big brakes, 31X10.50's Warn M10000 winch.
  • nightglide
    232 I6
    • Jan 06, 2015

Looks awesome! Good job! Mine tell us how much?

Comment

• Ristow
      • Jan 20, 2006

looks real good. hey, we gotta team up on PSNetwork some more.
      Originally posted by Hankrod
      Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
      ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
      I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• Woodchomper
        350 Buick
        • Dec 17, 2002

Great job! I've had my eye on Speed Hut gauges for a couple of years now. It is nice to see an example of their gauges mounted in an FSJ cluster.
        1991 GW 401 /727TF/NP229 /4" Skyjacker /EBL TBI /CS-144
        1981 J10 401 /727TF/NP208 /6" Superlift /CS-144

Comment

• GreenMachine
          232 I6
          • Jun 14, 2002

Looks good!
          GreenMachine

Comment

• airman
            232 I6
            • Jul 21, 2010

I bought the large Jeep cluster for my FC170. I got the one with the GPS speed sender. so I would not heve to deal with a 10ft long speedo cable.
            I have not put it in but did try it out in my Dodge and it was dead on .
            This Gouge was not cheep but it came with every thing to hook up.

Andrew
            1969 J3000 Dauntless 350, T15, D20
            1970 CJ6 Dauntless 350 , T350, D20
            1951 CJ3A in the wings

Comment

• wiley-moeracing
              350 Buick
              • Feb 15, 2010

what did they cost you?

Comment

• airman
                232 I6
                • Jul 21, 2010

This is the one I got, Paid about $500. It came with everything but a fuel sender. This gauge has a high temp warning light and a low fuel level warning lights,(with gauges also.) trip odometer, compass, altatude in feet or meters.
                It was worht it not have to run around locating sensors and other items.

Andrew
                1969 J3000 Dauntless 350, T15, D20
                1970 CJ6 Dauntless 350 , T350, D20
                1951 CJ3A in the wings

Comment

• Tejaswagoneer
                  230 Tornado
                  • Jun 24, 2015

Gauges

I am very glad you posted this! I'm about to start my 5.3 swap and wanted to run different gauges but am not a fan of the Dakota digital setup because it looks to modern for an old jeep. I am now figuring out my speedhut gauges I like best and am about to place my order.

Comment

• ProTouring442
                    327 Rambler
                    • Mar 15, 2011

I've had great luck with mine (so much so that we are in the process of putting Speedhuts in my father's '59 Impala). Their service is great too. The transformer went out on mine (for the background illumination), and they sent a new one free of charge.
                    You ever wonder what medieval cook looked at the guts of a pig and thought, "I bet if you washed out that poop tube, you could stuff it with meat and eat it."

Comment

• crazydog
                      350 Buick
                      • Nov 19, 2005

Those look great!! Does the light dimming just tie directly into the stock dimmer? Or, does it have further adjustments? I hate hate how most aftermarket radios, at least the ones I have had, are too dim during the day and too bright at night.

I have been looking at the Dakota Digital VHX for my CJ5, I will need to compare this with the VHX.
                      1979 Cherokee - Built 401, NV4500, Dana 300, 6" BJ's Lift w/ Bilstein 5125 Shocks, Goodyear Wrangler MT/R 35X12.5R15, Front Brake Upgrade w/ GM 2500 Calipers & EBC Pads, Rear Disc Brake Conversion, Z&M Jeeps Dash Insert w/ VDO Series 1 Gauges, Tad Rack, Ramsey Hidden Winch w/ REP8000, Hydroboost, CS140

1967 J3500 - Making plans

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
                        AMC 4 OH! 1
                        • Jul 18, 2003

Originally posted by crazydog
                        Those look great!! Does the light dimming just tie directly into the stock dimmer? Or, does it have further adjustments? I hate hate how most aftermarket radios, at least the ones I have had, are too dim during the day and too bright at night.

I have been looking at the Dakota Digital VHX for my CJ5, I will need to compare this with the VHX.

No, on these, there is a separate little inverter box about 1 inch square that controls the lighting. It has its own dimmer knob on the end of a wire you can mount somewhere if you wanted. I left mine zip tied under the dash for now, but still within reach.
                        79 Cherokee Chief 401/T18/D20, MPFI fuel injection, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
                        Future mods: Caddy 500/NV4500/NP205, HP D60 front D60 smooth botom rear, 5.13 gears, 35x12.50's on H1 beadlock wheels. Warn M12000 winch.
                        93 Wrangler 4.6 stroker/AX15/NP231,SYE,CV, OME 2.5 lift, front hub conversion/big brakes, 31X10.50's Warn M10000 winch.

Comment

• BigOberg
                          oh i wish i had a cool handle.......
                          • Jan 20, 2015

Really nice! That 4in1 makes it much more convenient. Having that Tac in the stock opening is much nicer looking. Thanks for sharing
                          Follow my build http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=174682

1989 Grand Wagoneer: 360-727-229, 4" BJ's Lift w/32's, Howell Fuel Injection, TFI Conversion

2012 Jeep JKU Sahara: 3" Lift & 35's

Comment

Working...
                          X