• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dirtfarmer
    232 I6
    • Aug 14, 2012

110 mig welder wire

Bought a little 110 volt Century 155 wire welder at a sale. It will run with either gas or flux core wire. Ive never used flux core wire. I want it for welding light metal and tinwork since my MM250 doesn't work well on light stuff. Any suggestions which way to set it up. It would be more convenient not to have a bottle hooked to it.
    Gas
    0%
    Flux core
    0%
    "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." --Abraham Lincoln
  • Ghinmi
    Super Moderator

• Jul 02, 2004

For years and years, I worked with a 110 flux core welder. Given enough practice you can make some nice welds. The issue is it's messy as all getout and the fumes suck. I stepped up to a Lincoln 180 Dual (running on 110 with gas) and it's night and day, wish I would've done it earlier. Being able to see the weld without the flux cloud makes laying down a good, strong bead so much easier. I do keep the old flux core welder around and throw it in the truck when I travel, it's so convenient for outdoor repairs and is self-contained (no tanks, etc). Bottom line, if you can swing the extra money for tanks and refills, I'd go for the gas. If you just want something that'll weld, flux core is fine. Also, flux core has the advantage outdoors where there's wind that'll blow your shielding gas away.
    Yep, I know my PM box is full. Email me instead.

1983 Cherokee WT - IFS, trailing arm rear, full cage, Hemi, 6 speed, turbocharged - Autocross project
    http://ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=127321

Comment

• mokurt
      258 I6
      • Feb 23, 2014

I have only used flux core on my Lincoln WeldPac 155.

I have only welded thicker mat'l without any problems.
      Gas may help with thin stuff.

If your doing a lot of thin material,a TIG is the way to go.
      1967 J2000
      1985 CJ7

Comment

• Tripwire
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Jul 30, 2000

in my vast ( not really) experience i have used both and i like gas - there is very little splatter that takes hours to clean up, gas is not expensive , the initial buying of the bottle and gas is - but once you own a bottle its cheap
        Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• hookedup50
          350 Buick
          • Aug 07, 2010

I used the fluxcore for years, and switched to gas last winter to weld in lower cab and rockers on my k2500 TD. I will never use fluxcore again, for reasons previously stated. No messy splatter or gross fumes. The welds are better as well.
          Jennifer: 89 GW 360/727/D44 2"lift 31" BF KM2
          Harriett: 97 chevy 2500 ext cab P/U 6.5 TD
          Lorraine: 73 Datsun 240z
          07 Colorado
          http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa416/hookedup50/

Comment

• Dirtfarmer
            232 I6
            • Aug 14, 2012

Thanks for the advice. That is the response I expected. I guess I'll get a bottle and regulator.
            "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." --Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• SkylinePCG
              258 I6
              • Jan 11, 2005

Get the gas. a 75/25 argon/CO2 mix is cheap, and even a small 4ft cylinder will last quite a while for personal use.

The flux core in my experience penetrates better, but the cleanup is a drag, and will cause you problems with thin metal.

Its one of those things that can be described as yeah, itll work, but its not the ideal tool for the job.
              1980 Cherokee WT

360, 727, 219, 35s
              Holley 4bbl, Edelbrock performer intake/cam, TFI, Hedman LT headers, HB brakes, aaaand GW seats!

Still on the shelf... Hamilton EFI, Transgo TF-2...

Comment

• thechier86
                327 Rambler
                • Mar 16, 2009

I've used both, and I prefer gas in most situations if i can work indoors, but with DC negative(flux core), the physics of electron flow dictate that rather than having material pile up on top of your work, the weld will be sucked in and become more of a part of the work. IF the machine is strong enough and set up right, and run by someone who has had some practice, even the ugly welds made with flux core have the potential to actually be stronger, due to better penetration. But then you have the task of cleaning up the slag.

A fluxcore rig is basically like a cross between a 60/10 rod and a hot glue gun.
                It is convenient, will get the job done, and can be very strong.
                At structural welding jobs I've had, almost everything in the field is done with fluxcore or a stick machine.
                The welds I've done even with a lincoln 90 amp machine are currently holding up many tons, and should be sufficient for many years to come.
                That said, this is Tennessee, not California, and our buildings and bridges do not vibrate and move as much as my Jeeps do
                buckle up, i wanna try somethin...

Comment

• 83 BEAST
                  327 Rambler
                  • May 15, 2005

I would honestly say if it is "just" for thin stuff, and your only using it in you shop, go with gas and solid wire. There will be a lot less slag and clean up around welds (and shop). If you ever have to fix something that requires more penetration and/or doing any welding where there might be wind... go with flux-core.

Better yet, get both! The bottle will be the most expensive part. But once you have it, it will be good for a long time and refills are cheap (especially if your use co2). Flux-core cost a little more than solid wire, but like I said, if there is wind... your gas will be blown away and be useless.

Just my $0.02.
                  The Beast: 1983 jeep j-10, 258ci, t-5 trans, np-208 t-case, d44(f) amc20(r), stock gears, 32" tires, (just passed emissions as of 12-16-11 )

Comment

• Probesport
                    232 I6
                    • Apr 15, 2015

Gas if you are in a controlled environment (eg shop) flux core if you are outside. You will not be able to use gas successfully outside unless you can shield yourself from any wind whatsoever.
                    Ken S.
                    Jeep toy: 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                    Megasquirt EFI
                    : Heated Seats : Blower fix : Driving light brackets : Shorty headers : Coil Packs : Electric Fans
                    Prior Jeeps: 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
                    Other toys: 1930 Model A (Hotrod), 1997 Ford Probe Turbo, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 2005 VW Touareg

Comment

• jimbos83j10
                      232 I6
                      • Oct 10, 2009

My lincoln is a combo unit. While running flux core there is a lot splatter but worked fine if you dont mind cleaning it up. It would wled 1/4" pretty nicely . A buddy gave me a small owner bottle that I used to do a bunch od sheet metal work on my yj and all I can say is the difference is huge. The welds come out so much cleaner, no splatter and really no soot or slag to wire brush off. However... Tried to weld some 1/4 again and it didnt seem to have the heat to get it done.
                      19?? CJ-7 Stretched.. alot, 360, T-18, Dana 20, 44 front and rear locked, 4:88 gears, Hydro assist steering and maybe even 4 doors!

Comment

• Probesport
                        232 I6
                        • Apr 15, 2015

Originally posted by jimbos83j10
                        Tried to weld some 1/4 again and it didnt seem to have the heat to get it done.
                        If you are trying to weld 1/4 with a low amp welder you have a couple options. You can use TIG wire as an additional filler rod and crank down your spool speed or just run slow and do a multiple pass fillet.
                        Ken S.
                        Jeep toy: 1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
                        Megasquirt EFI
                        : Heated Seats : Blower fix : Driving light brackets : Shorty headers : Coil Packs : Electric Fans
                        Prior Jeeps: 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ, 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
                        Other toys: 1930 Model A (Hotrod), 1997 Ford Probe Turbo, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 2005 VW Touareg

Comment

Gas if you can swing it. Otherwise, flux will do. Just have a nice chisel handy to scrape the slag away.
                          Places to Wheel in the Southeast

Originally posted by Topgun2mo
                          I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
                          Originally posted by johnny019
                          I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.

Comment

Working...
                          X