who all has a d300 in there bigger than a cj rig?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dusty
    327 Rambler
    • Jul 20, 2006

Originally posted by JERSEY JOE
    THAT'S RIGHT. PAVEMENT POUNDER DID HOOK ME UP WITH A RARE TEXAS BOLT PATTERN DANA 300 FOR MY T-18 IN A CJ 7. WAS A GOOD UNIT THAT HAS WORKED VERY WELL.

FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH MARK IS A STAND UP GUY THAT I WOULD VOUCH FOR ANYTIME.

JERSEY JOE

Now don't you two turn this into a mushy back patting contest of a thread.

We want to hear about blood, sweat, tears cracked cases, broken teeth, missing tailhousing. God forbid anyone admit that a D300 is a good t-case in a fullsize rig. Now that i've spewed that random BS

Mark is right the scout D300 (1980 scouts only and a 1/2 year at that) is a hard unit to find and then trying to source a bullgear for it if it didnt come with it is even harder. One option is a new set of gears any terra 4:1 kit will come with a new bull gear........ it should be noted that just like a d20 the scout d300 case is also not clockable.

FYI the scout 300 is the shortest d300 option avaiable since it uses the ultra thin d20 texas pattern adapter when mated to a t-18/19 or to a 727 it can not however be married to a T400 as there is no GM shaft or the 32 spline bull gear on the market.
    Cherokee S Chief Widetrack W/ Cummins 4bta Diesel, 91 dodge intercooler, hy35/9, AC NV4500/D300 3.54's Ploks 4" BJ's w/ 33's, scout 33 gal fuel tank ( Sold, to a good fsj home)
    The 608.9 hybrid dana 44 build

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

"Dont worry the Coors light engineering department will be documenting this accordingly."

Comment

• Aaron871
      232 I6
      • Sep 06, 2004

CJ-7
      T-18
      39.5's

He had a good skid plate, this was from torque...

Degenerate Racing
      Buck Wild Racing
      Wreckin Crew

Comment

• PavementPounder
        232 I6
        • Aug 21, 2003

Originally posted by Aaron871
        CJ-7
        T-18
        39.5's

He had a good skid plate, this was from torque...
        Kind of odd to have a failure like that before breaking the driveshaft u-joint.
        This is how NAXJA Midwest Chapter elected officials like to treat their resident users and former multi-year supporters.

Comment

• Aaron871
          232 I6
          • Sep 06, 2004

Originally posted by PavementPounder
          Kind of odd to have a failure like that before breaking the driveshaft u-joint.
          IIRC
          He had a wheelin shaft with greasless CTM's and a street shaft with Spicers. He said that the CTM's didn't have any needle bearings and that they were not good at sustained speeds. So he swapped the drive lines before and after a wheeling trip.

edit: and his rear was a cromo shaft 60. We had been chasing the weak link around that thing for a long time, the 401 in it was built with such high compression that it needed 117 octain.... lol. I think that was the problem...
          Last edited by Aaron871; 01-07-2009, 08:41 PM.
          Degenerate Racing
          Buck Wild Racing
          Wreckin Crew

Comment

• matt thompson
            232 I6
            • Sep 27, 2006

gotta love big motor torque, looks like he needs a np205, or stak d300 replace-a-case.
            1988 grand wag-amc360, TF727, twin stick Dana 300, D44 front, 14bolt(10.5")
            http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showt...=matt+thompson
            1995 wrangler YJ-stock so far
            1991 cummins 12valve flatbed

Comment

Places to Wheel in the Southeast

Originally posted by Topgun2mo
              I would think boxing would limit the amount the frame could flex over obstacles which I think IMO would be a bad thing. I would think you would want all the articulation possible.
              Originally posted by johnny019
              I'm not saying lockers don't improve the performance of your rig, just that they're overrated.

Comment

• blt2krl
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Apr 03, 2001

Originally posted by orangecherokee
                Well there is hardcore and then there is everything else.
                Paul Hartman
                79 waggoneer
                AMC360/TH-400/203/205
                DANA 60/14 BOLT 5.13'S AND DETROITS
                39.5 IROKS C.B.I OFF ROAD TUBING GALORE
                www.cbioffroadfab.com
                WWW.PLANET4X4.NET

Comment

• moabbigjeep
                  230 Tornado
                  • Nov 10, 2001

727/d300 combo

put in a Klune V and that would eliminate the pan clearance issue.:-)
                  Some day you'll see how nice that Jeep can be Honey, honest

Comment

• Dirtball
                    304 AMC
                    • Apr 10, 2006

I'm putting together a 727/twin stick 300 combo to stick in my hidey hole for the future... I'll have two 400s and three Qtracs here in about another week, and I'm expecting seals, gaskets, and fluid from BJs this week for my less than 50,000 mile unit that I got recently. Therefore I'm going to run them 'til they break or wear out then go with my other combo. Was thinking of going MM kit... this was good reading to let me know whether or not I want to do this. I'll have to be on the lookout for one of the Scout driveshafts.
                    Paul
                    1979 Cherokee N/T
                    360/TH400/Qtrac/D44s/rear Lock-right
                    6 inch Hell Creek all spring lift
                    34x10.50 Super Swamper LTBs
                    http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t/100_1394.jpg
                    http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...t/100_1390.jpg
                    http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...100_1387-2.jpg

Comment

• JeepMods
                      327 Rambler
                      • Jul 08, 2009

:::
                      Last edited by JeepMods; 08-14-2009, 05:38 PM.

Comment

• brutusvon
                        230 Tornado
                        • Nov 03, 2009

I have a 1975 Wagoneer with about 10" of lift susp and body, 35" tires, 360ci, 4bb carb, headers, dual exhaust with flowmasters, T4 trans and a Dana 300tc. I bought it like this not sure I would have built it this way but so far so good

Comment

• fullsizejohn
                          258 I6
                          • Nov 20, 2006

Ive got one! Only a few trips on it but so far I like it.

Went with the AA adapter for a 2wd tranny. Changed my T400 to a 32 spline output, used the AA 32 spline input in my d300 and their adapter. All went pretty smooth in and im almost flat with the frame rails, maybe only 1/2" from being flush with the frame. Right now i have the stock drive shafts(recut). I did install the twin sticks just for the bling affect(didnt grind the pills and/or the shaft). Seems to do a good job.

As i beat on it, i will keep ya posted.
                          '77 cj-5,
                          '78 j-10,(not running)
                          '79 J-10 360ci,t400,D300, SOA-D60w/ARB, 14B w/Detroit,4:56s, 37" TRXUS
                          '06 Ford F250 super duty crew cab

Comment

• TINMAN93
                            232 I6
                            • Apr 28, 2004

300 GRINDER

This is a great thread. Just what I've been looking for.

I've had some 727 issues and a geared T-case has been in the plans for a while so when my third 727 blew up at Hot Springs in Sept, I'm thinking Upgrade!

I have a line on an AMC Hydro400 that I'm planning to use with a Novac adapter. I had thought of going the 205 way,even a divorced one to have equal length shafts, but I like the 300 weight and gearing better.

The issue is I have a Driver side front D44. I didn't read where this was noted in any of the posts.

Has anyone put a H400 with a D300 clocked for a driver side dump?

Or is it somewhere in the post and I missed it?

Tinman
                            - '91 SJ: BoB'd 13", Lift Hatch, Sliders, Tackbar & more DIM toys.
                            - And, He who dies with the most toys, still Dies!

Comment

• Greg Taylor
                              350 Buick
                              • Nov 14, 2000

I'm working on installing a flipped Dana 300 behind a NV3550. I am installing the LONGER AA input, for the flipped 300, so that there is plenty of spline engagement between the NV3550 (flush output shaft) and the D300. The stock dana 300 has roughly 1.25" of spline engagement between trans and t-case. The AA kit input is 3/4" longer and has about 1.25" more spline engagement ... So ... 1.25+1.25 = 2.50 ... 2.50 - .75 = 1.75". 0.75" is the thickness for the flip ring (which DOES NOT come with the AA long input kit).

Sincerely,
                              Greg Taylor
                              Rochester Hills, MI

1989 Grand Wagoneer "Terminator 2"

Comment

• dusty
                                327 Rambler
                                • Jul 20, 2006

I would want to know what caused 3 727's to blow up. TH400's and 727's are both good trannies very tough what is causing the failure. tracing the cause before replacing the whole system might be helpful for you. Shoot the 727 came behind the cummins (i've got an old 89 4x4 that we used for a recovery rig on all our peterbilts with turned up pump and big Ramsey 12k winch on the front that we sold at 280k and it only had 1 replacement put in it) and even the TH400 and TH475 had trouble holding up to the 4bt in the bread trucks, something has to be causing the catostophic failure. I hope the swap eliminates it for you

as to clocking yes it can be done and usually for a nominal amount i think my buddy had $250 into his but for $600 one can have a replace a case from stak and the guts froma D300 can be had for $50 on pirate from someone who did a 4:1 swap. or do the 4:1 swap and 32 spline outputs while you are at it wait that can get spendy but you get the gist i think the replace a case is definately the place to start with a flip. but as you see above the flip ising impossible
                                Last edited by dusty; 12-15-2009, 09:08 PM.
                                Cherokee S Chief Widetrack W/ Cummins 4bta Diesel, 91 dodge intercooler, hy35/9, AC NV4500/D300 3.54's Ploks 4" BJ's w/ 33's, scout 33 gal fuel tank ( Sold, to a good fsj home)
                                The 608.9 hybrid dana 44 build

AMC 401 supporter

GO UM Montana Griz

"Dont worry the Coors light engineering department will be documenting this accordingly."

Comment

Working...
                                X