Budget AMC 360 stroker build - 383 Cubes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Greg Taylor
    350 Buick
    • Nov 14, 2000

Originally posted by JeepMods
    I'm currently on the ship so maybe these govt comps are blocking the pics?
    That's it ... the govt blocks Photobucket, from what I've heard.
    Sincerely,
    Greg Taylor
    Rochester Hills, MI

1989 Grand Wagoneer "Terminator 2"

Comment

• Elliott
      Cowboy Up
      • Jun 22, 2002

Mmmm.... I'd be doing the Isky over Summit any day of the week. I used to run Isky solid lifter cams.
      *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
      ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• billyrb
        BJ's Off-Road
        • Aug 15, 2001

Greg, mine is a little different though. I took an LT-1 motor that I had in my 1988 GW and yanked it to rebuild. In the process, I converted it to an LT4, and stroked it to a 383 using a Callies Dragonslayer crank, H-beam rods, ARP hardware, Cometic Gaskets, Milodon Splayed main caps, JE / SRP Pistons that are coated on top & skirts, and a bunch of other goodies. It's going to get some power adders bolted on to make stupid power. It's nothing more than a built-up go-fast toy at this point
        BJ's Off-Road
        [email protected]
        Your source for '63-'91 FSJ Parts

Comment

• Greg Taylor
          350 Buick
          • Nov 14, 2000

Ryan,
          Sounds like you had some fun building the 383 ... how's it run?
          Sincerely,
          Greg Taylor
          Rochester Hills, MI

Comment

• billyrb
            BJ's Off-Road
            • Aug 15, 2001

will tell you soon. I have to bring it home from the machine shop (along with a used Duramax I bought that needs a new head gasket) and finish buttoning it up / get it installed (when it's all said and done, should be in the near-800hp range). Right now I'm trying to get my J10 project wrapped up and running so I can have a little more space in the garage. Also have to wrap up the Beater this winter too, as I'm trying to finish all my current projects b4 next spring (tired of building them, now I want to start enjoying them)
            BJ's Off-Road
            [email protected]

Comment

• NVJEEPER
              327 Rambler
              • Feb 24, 2006

Did you have to mill down the rods where they touch together in the center, to keep the rod in the center of the bore? And did you need to remove any material on the bearing insert to clear the larger radius on the journal?
              Man you are not scared of the thin cylinder wall? Depends where it is exactly.
              Looks like alot of fun tho
              Damon
              '85 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• Greg Taylor
                350 Buick
                • Nov 14, 2000

Originally posted by NVJEEPER
                Did you have to mill down the rods where they touch together in the center, to keep the rod in the center of the bore? And did you need to remove any material on the bearing insert to clear the larger radius on the journal?
                No, the rods were not milled down ... the crank was machined to fit hte rod width. I don't think the bear insert was messed with ... remember, this is a budget build, so the less machining the cheaper it costs.

The cylinder walls were all sonic-tested and the machinist, a hard-core Chevy guy and performance engine builder, commented on how thick the 360 was. He also commented that the modern mopar blocks are 0.100" NOMINAL cylinder wall thickness. So, it was deamed that the overbore was completely capable on the 360.
                Sincerely,
                Greg Taylor
                Rochester Hills, MI

Comment

• Greg Taylor
                  350 Buick
                  • Nov 14, 2000

Originally posted by NVJEEPER
                  Here's Rick's response to the post questions ...

The rods were not machined. The crank was machined to match the rods. The bearings were left as is. They are inboard far enough that there is a lot of room for a large radius on the journal.

The cylinder walls are not thin. At the very thinnest spots the average is .136" for the 8 holes. That, is still a lot of meat when considering that measurement is in one small spot. If I measure 1/4" away in any direction from that spot the thickness goes up quite a bit. Also, there are a few 360's out there bored more than this one. There are more than one 360, which have been bored out to use 401 pistons.

Sincerely,
                  Greg Taylor
                  Rochester Hills, MI

Comment

• NVJEEPER
                    327 Rambler
                    • Feb 24, 2006

That is great news! Man these are beautiful engine pictures...very inspiring
                    Damon
                    '85 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• Johnbaum13
                      232 I6
                      • Aug 27, 2009

Quick question, this just popped into my head the other day. With the crank having as much material removed as it has, will this throw off the external balance of the motor? Will the rotating assembly have to be re-balanced now?
                      1980 Cherokee Chief.

Total noob.

Comment

• billyrb
                        BJ's Off-Road
                        • Aug 15, 2001

my guess is he's balancing the rotating assembly, meaning he'll most likely be running a neutral dampener for an internally balanced engine.
                        BJ's Off-Road
                        [email protected]

Comment

• Greg Taylor
                          350 Buick
                          • Nov 14, 2000

Originally posted by Johnbaum13
                          Quick question, this just popped into my head the other day. With the crank having as much material removed as it has, will this throw off the external balance of the motor? Will the rotating assembly have to be re-balanced now?
                          Here is Rick's answer ...

I had the crank re-balanced to the stock 360 flex plate and vibration damper. I told Chuck to not put Mallery Metal in it unless he absolutely had to, due to the budget theme. It didn't take much to balance it back by only welding one hole shut. The rods and pistons were close enough that no material was removed from either. The second picture in Post #8, shows where he welded one hole shut to balance the crank.

Sincerely,
                          Greg Taylor
                          Rochester Hills, MI

Comment

• billyrb
                            BJ's Off-Road
                            • Aug 15, 2001

what were his balance weight (in grams)?
                            BJ's Off-Road
                            [email protected]

Comment

• Greg Taylor
                              350 Buick
                              • Nov 14, 2000

Originally posted by billyrb
                              what were his balance weight (in grams)?
                              Not sure ... I'll have to ask.
                              Sincerely,
                              Greg Taylor
                              Rochester Hills, MI

Comment

• rustywagoneers_com
                                304 AMC
                                • Feb 02, 2006

Originally posted by Greg Taylor
                                The big difference to consider here is that you have an exhaustive choice of SB Chevy pistons you can use, to build about any compression level and performance level you want, for a lot cheaper than getting custom forged 360 pistons done. and you can use the readily available 58-cc heads, as opposed to finding the more costly 70-71 50-6 cc high compression heads (to use with off-the-shelf 360 pistons).

The 304 stroker pistions were about 900 alone for my build.

When I build another engine down the road, I'd consider building a 16:1 compression 383 stroker, based on the Miller-Cycle design ... 8:1 compression stroke ... 16:1 exhaust stroke ... possibly forced induction ... GOBS or power and MPGs ... but that's for an entirely different thread.
                                Sick minds think alike!

I have a 15 to 1 258 in my garage. Well, I have most of the parts anyway. I just wish someone would cut me a cam. Ordered 2 already, nobody ever follows through.
                                There is no way to rule innocent men.
                                The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals.
                                Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them.
                                One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.

Comment

Working...
                                X