X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wiley-moeracing
    350 Buick
    • Feb 15, 2010

That bearing gets its lube from the transmission side, so yes that is normal. the bearing slides in with very little pressure but should not spin in the adapter. sounds like your adapter could be worn out a little or the bearing was starting to seize a little causing the bearing to spin the outside? I would swap out the adapter to be 100% sure.

Comment

• asphaltrockdweller
      350 Buick
      • Jul 09, 2009

Hey Mark I might have two seals sitting here.
      Also I have a bunch of TH400s, and if you need the adapter probably could steal one off of one of them for you too.
      (Ristow)fram!....that deserves a ratchet upside the head.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
        Administrator
        • Oct 31, 2016

Thanks, Dusty. I ordered a pair of seals from amazon and they got here last night. I jacked up the back of my Cherokee into the sky and pulled that bearing out and inspected it. Its smooth and clean and the outer race looked normal (no scoring/galling) and the inside of the adapter was smooth and showed no signs of wear or damage either. I am sure the adapter IS worn but I am not in the mood to pull the adapter off. This trans and case will hopefully live in my truck for a yearish, then will turn into a 4speed auto.

Friday night I drank a giant Vietnamese coffee at like 7pm. If you have not had that, that equals no sleep for the next 12 hours. I spent 3 hours and 4 cans of break cleaner cleaning the inside of my case. I completely disassembled it, cleaned everything, and set it aside waiting for my seals. Yesterday my seals showed up so I installed everything and added fluid. All seals that hold fluid when the case is parked have held overnight. (Rear output used to leak too, and does not anymore).

Today I will adjust my rockers again (unrelated) and take it for a spin, hoping nothing comes out from between the case and trans.
        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
        (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
        (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
        79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
        (Cherokee Build Thread)
        11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
        09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

OK, have about 45 miles on it so far. All seals seem to be holding so far. I see ATF dripping out the Speedo cable output which tells me I over filled it. I think (now that I am thinking about it) that I filled it when the rear end was jacked way up.

I filled the case, then I filled the reduction unit. That's correct, right?
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
          (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• asphaltrockdweller
            350 Buick
            • Jul 09, 2009

That's good news!
            (Ristow)fram!....that deserves a ratchet upside the head.

Comment

Working...
            X