Another A/C Question: York or Sanden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do I know which compressor is on my 89 wag?

Comment

• The Colonel
      360 AMC
      • Feb 21, 2010

Originally posted by thatguy
      how do I know which compressor is on my 89 wag?
      '89 should be a Sanden.

The photo below is from my '89 with the Sanden:

Comment

• Walt
        350 Buick
        • Feb 24, 2003

Originally posted by Ristow
        the sanden is a better,and more efficient. my '83 will be getting changed over to a sanden very soon.

the sanden has 7 small pistons inside,as shown here.

http://www.sanden.com/originals/imag...uide_Rev.2.pdf
        It's supposed to have a 7 cyl compressor, but the 258 engine application came with a smaller displacement compressor (5 cyl sd-507) and I have run into several sources that list the 507 for both 258 and 360 applications, so watch out. It will still fit; my current truck had a 507 in it when I got it. The first place I went to get a replacement handed me another 507.
        I'd need to search this site to find the p/n again, but I found a new compressor with a ford sticker on it that is the same as the jeep sd-709. Apparently some ford dealer installed a/c used the same compressor.
        EDIT- here's my thread on the ford p/n compressor: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=27576
        If you get a new replacement sanden you'll have to work out something custom for the charging ports. I think Spectre installed one with custom hoses?
        Last edited by Walt; 08-16-2011, 11:56 AM.
        90 G Wag.- New Motor/Trans/TC...Soon to have TBI!: CS-144 Alt; Parallel Flow A/C Condenser; Read this BEFORE you install an HEI ignition module!

Comment

• FSJunkie
          The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
          • Jan 09, 2011

I've found that the yorks take alot of power, the engine really bogs down when it cycles on, but they cool really well. Take our Rambler for example: It's been converted to R134 and you do loose some cooling capacity when you do the conversion, but it still cools better than any of our newer cars without youk compressors and with R134 from the start.
          '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• Tin Medic
            Loose (lug)Nut(s)
            • Mar 21, 2011

Originally posted by The Colonel
            '89 should be a Sanden.

The photo below is from my '89 with the Sanden:

My 89 came stock with a York and so did the one down the street. Wierd.
            Sons Waggy - 89 GW 360/727/208, 30x9.5x15 Destination M/Ts, Warn Lock Out Hubs, Razor Grill
            Tramp - 85 CJ-7 Renegade FI 258/T5/D300, D30 w/ARB Air Locker, AMC 20 w/Posi Unit, 33x12.5x15 Goodyear MT-R's, Hella E-Code lights, VIAIR OBA System, Warn 8000lb Winch

Comment

• jeeper54
              350 Buick
              • May 25, 2009

As foe ES12, I've used it several times over the last few years with good results. It's whats in my monti right now. I'm pretty dumb when it comes to chemistry but if I understand correctly the molecules are larger thus less prone to leakage and the dye is already in it. Also heard Freeze 12 has been discontinued.
              Last edited by jeeper54; 08-16-2011, 11:12 PM.
              Currently without
              Formerly
              1986 G.W. 360
              1986 Eagle Wag
              1985 G.W. 360
              1984 Eagle Wag
              1981 Wag 360
              1978 Wag 401
              1981 Cherk W/T 258
              1966 Wag Super 327
              Not counying XJs'.
              [Did have a 94 & more recently a '97 GC with 5.2. for awhile. Just not the same! Now have the FSJ blues!

Comment

• Mattavarious
                230 Tornado
                • Jan 27, 2014

Sanden compressor bracket

1988 Grand Wagoneer
                Please help, I bought the Sanden Compressor bracket to convert york to sanden, The bracket fits fine on the York Mount but, the pulleys don't come close to matching up. I'v got the bracket as far back as it will go. Appears that the bracket needs to be modified so the compressor can go on the other side. Any Ideas?
                Last edited by Mattavarious; 07-01-2018, 07:08 PM. Reason: adder

Comment

• bwwhaler
                  258 I6
                  • Apr 17, 2012

You need to flip it around, it should work... it was longer on one side than the other as I remember (I just did it on mine)
                  87 GW 360 performer intake Holley 670 HEI
                  Razor Grill 4"BJ's springs 32's CS-144 Serehill's light and tailgate harness

Comment

• Woodchomper
                    350 Buick
                    • Dec 17, 2002

I just went through this about 6 months ago. I used a Vintage Air conversion bracket to mount a Sanden SD7H15 model 4664 compressor to a York mount on my son's 401 J10.

For us it was necessary to clearance the bracket where the mounting tabs attach to the front of the compressor. Unfortunately I cannot remember if the short side or long side of the conversion bracket was facing forward. I can tell you that everything lined up perfect once the bracket was modified. Good luck.
                    1991 GW 401 /727TF/NP229 /4" Skyjacker /EBL TBI /CS-144
                    1981 J10 401 /727TF/NP208 /6" Superlift /CS-144

Comment

• Mattavarious
                      230 Tornado
                      • Jan 27, 2014

Sanden compressor mount

Thanks guys, mine is from Vintage Air as well. If I flip the bracket around 180 degrees it runs into the passenger side valve cover and the Vintage Air plate mounting slots don't line up with the original York aluminum mounting bracket. You got it Woodchomper. The Vintage Air bracket needs to be modified. The condenser must be mounted behind the bracket tabs instead of forward. The short side needs to be milled or grinded out for the front of the compressor to get clearance for the bolt holes to line up. It appears that the pulleys will then be aligned. I'm going to mill the Vintage Air plate bolt slots as well to give it a little more adjustment if necessary. Replacing the GR5 hardware with GR8. Thanks Again.
                      Last edited by Mattavarious; 07-02-2018, 08:29 AM.

Comment

• Woodchomper
                        350 Buick
                        • Dec 17, 2002

Mattavarious....You got it. Your description of the modifications needed is spot on. I remember thinking that for what that bracket cost it shouldn't need to be modified but that is the way it goes sometimes. Please post some pictures to help the next person down the road.
                        1991 GW 401 /727TF/NP229 /4" Skyjacker /EBL TBI /CS-144
                        1981 J10 401 /727TF/NP208 /6" Superlift /CS-144

Comment

• bwwhaler
                          258 I6
                          • Apr 17, 2012

Wow, didn't know you had to do all that to the Vintage Air bracket, I guess I got lucky, just ordered mine off ebay. That sucks that you have to do all that to make it fit...
                          87 GW 360 performer intake Holley 670 HEI
                          Razor Grill 4"BJ's springs 32's CS-144 Serehill's light and tailgate harness

Comment

• Mikel
                            • Aug 09, 2000

I have a Sanden compressor in my 4BT, running R152A. I can't tell from the idle when the compressor is working.
                            1969 M715 6x6
                            1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

Working...
                            X