• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grand_wag_85
    Murphy's Law Poster Child
    • Dec 03, 2003

Expedition trailer build...pic heavy

Finally feeling a little better so I started to build an expedition type trailer based on an old US Army M416 1/4 ton trailer.

Here is what I have to start with:

Part of the goal for this build is to end up with a trailer to haul spare parts, supplies and camping gear while keeping the bed of the J10 nice and empty. My main goal is to have the trailer itself function as a tent platform that can be set up and torn down quickly.

A lot of guys install a roof top tent on their trailer costing well over $1k.

That's not an option for me so I'm taking a slightly different approach and sticking with the military theme. I'll be using an Army pup tent, AKA shelter halves, and making a collapsible frame to hang the canvas on.

Apparently I'm not the only one to have this idea. Found this on The CJ2a Page forums. I might do something different with the canvas but this is almost exactly what I'm trying to do:
    You know it's bad when your car's on the EPA's 10 most wanted list!

'82 J10
    '88 GW
    '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

• jaber
    Dragin Az
    • Oct 17, 2003

Cant wait to see the pics...
    Jeff

'43 cj2a
    '51 Willys p/u
    '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
    '68 Panel Delivery
    '74 CJ5
    '75 J-20 Wrecker
    '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
    '77 J-10 p/u
    '79 Cherokee
    '88 Grand Wagoneer
    '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• grand_wag_85
      • Dec 03, 2003

The first step in the build is to get rid of the racks. An afternoon with a cutoff wheel took care of that problem:

Next step is to fabricate a tailgate. Just so happened to find an old Ford tailgate. Almost a perfect fit but it looks like some trimming will be necessary.

That's about where I left off tonight. Will post up when I make some more progress.

'82 J10
      '88 GW
      '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• Zorm
        304 AMC
        • Apr 08, 1997

I've been thinking of something like the middle picture but with a wagoneer shell. Gut the Jeep, put propane under the hood, have the doors or maybe for front two (this would be a 4 door) pull out like file cabnet drawers or like RV slide outs to house the "kitchen" on one side and shower/sink on the other side. Inside, one the pullouts are our, would nice and roomy for sleeping or whar ever. Spare part storage for small parts can be a box made where the spare tire would go, behind the rear axle with the opening in the cargo area. Other longer spare parts could be mounted under the body between the frames, thus helping keep the center of g low. Large tent on the roof to fold out over one side so make a "porch" below.

Just a thought though
        83 Cherokee 4dr WT(axles) 4" lift, 351w, nv3550, NP208, installing soon

65 Corvair Corsa Convertible, 4 speed, 140 quad carb engine

71 F-250 Camper Special (in rewire stage)

HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life.

Comment

• bruner1981jpce
          350 Buick
          • Apr 23, 2011

Subscribed. I want to see how this ends up. very interested.
          Andy
          '81 Cherokee Laredo W/T 258/Weber 32/36 DGEV/HEI/176/208 AMC 20/Dana 44 3.31 gears
          Status: Work in progress Miles: Less than 140K (as of the talk with the original/previous owner) "The Jeffrey"

Build Thread: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=151814 New pics: 5/18/12

Comment

• grand_wag_85
            • Dec 03, 2003

Originally posted by Zorm
            I've been thinking of something like the middle picture but with a wagoneer shell. Gut the Jeep, put propane under the hood, have the doors or maybe for front two (this would be a 4 door) pull out like file cabnet drawers or like RV slide outs to house the "kitchen" on one side and shower/sink on the other side. Inside, one the pullouts are our, would nice and roomy for sleeping or whar ever. Spare part storage for small parts can be a box made where the spare tire would go, behind the rear axle with the opening in the cargo area. Other longer spare parts could be mounted under the body between the frames, thus helping keep the center of g low. Large tent on the roof to fold out over one side so make a "porch" below.

Just a thought though
            Sounds like it would be a pretty cool rig. Would love to see the finished product if you ever decide to build it up.

'82 J10
            '88 GW
            '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• Julep4000
              232 I6
              • Jun 22, 2011

Hey man...

First and foremost, great to hear you are feeling a little better! I can't wait to see how this puppy turns out...
              '72 J4800
              360/TH400/D20

Comment

• leadsled01
                232 I6
                • Dec 23, 2010

I have a very similar plan for my trailer, but my trailer is so darn rusty, I have to rebuild it structurally first. Awaiting your build.

Comment

• tgreese
                  • May 29, 2003

I expect the plates on the sides of your trailer were there to reinforce the cut-out tailgate. The Bantam TC-3 had a tailgate, and it had extra panels to keep the sides vertical when the tailgate is open.

I think you need something besides your Ford tailgate to keep the sides vertical.

Cool project! I'd love to find a 1/4 ton trailer for me.
                  Tim Reese
                  Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                  Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                  Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                  GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                  ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                    Señor Jackhead
                    • Aug 21, 2002

Good to see you feeling better Sean. Nice project. I bet you could haul a couple QuadraTracs in that thing to Ouray for an offering.
                    Flint
                    Ran when parked.
                    http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                    88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                    76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                    http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• grand_wag_85
                      • Dec 03, 2003

Originally posted by Julep4000
                      First and foremost, great to hear you are feeling a little better! I can't wait to see how this puppy turns out...
                      Thanks! Not out of the woods yet but a whole lot better than I was a month ago

Originally posted by tgreese
                      I expect the plates on the sides of your trailer were there to reinforce the cut-out tailgate. The Bantam TC-3 had a tailgate, and it had extra panels to keep the sides vertical when the tailgate is open.

I think you need something besides your Ford tailgate to keep the sides vertical.

Cool project! I'd love to find a 1/4 ton trailer for me.
                      Thanks! Yeah, the sides still flop around a little bit if you man handle it even with those reinforcements. I was thinking of cutting those off then cutting them up so they'll match the contour of the inside of the trailer body, then weld in place. Kind of like what this guy did:

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
                      Good to see you feeling better Sean. Nice project. I bet you could haul a couple QuadraTracs in that thing to Ouray for an offering.
                      For the longest time the trailer has been my workbench, it gave birth to the blue QT

'82 J10
                      '88 GW
                      '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

• bigun
                        • Feb 10, 2003

1. Glad to hear your feeling better!
                        2. Don't over do it
                        3. I don't know if you followed Doc-14s build over on pirate, so here's a link

charlie
                        KB0HXA
                        "Crom" 76/75 Cherokee/J20 Hybred,

Originally posted by Gambler68
                        congrats...that's the first post on here I have absolutely no effing clue how to comment on.
                        How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.
                        Robert A. Heinlein
                        The birth of CROM is recorded here
                        http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=7778

Comment

• Dr. Marneaus
                          360 AMC
                          • Jun 16, 2010

Nice! this is precisely similar to the plans I have if i decide not to go with a lil pop-up!

Maybe if yours comes out awesome i can convince the woman to let me go this route....
                          Originally posted by FSJunkie
                          Dr. Marneaus is now officially my idol.
                          The Mag - The Wag

The Beast Build Thread:Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread
                          1973 Wagoneer - 1987 360 w/ factory 4bbl - TH400 - D20 - D30/D44

Comment

• InfiniteWisdumb
                            258 I6
                            • Mar 11, 2009

I hate it when people "bubba" these trailers by cutting out the tailgate. It is a real waste.

Here are a few pics of my M416 that I restored in 2010

FSJless for now
                            Looking for an M715

Comment

• grand_wag_85
                              • Dec 03, 2003

Originally posted by bigun
                              1. Glad to hear your feeling better!
                              2. Don't over do it
                              3. I don't know if you followed Doc-14s build over on pirate, so here's a link

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1015979
                              That's a pretty neat build, dunno of many camper shells that would fit the M416 or I might go that route.

Originally posted by Dr. Marneaus
                              Maybe if yours comes out awesome i can convince the woman to let me go this route....
                              I'll try my best

Originally posted by InfiniteWisdumb
                              I hate it when people "bubba" these trailers by cutting out the tailgate. It is a real waste.
                              Yeah, me too. Always seems that they go for the tailgate, then the lunette and the lights. I really like how your restoration came out. Did you go thru and replace the brake shoes? If so where did you source them?

'82 J10
                              '88 GW
                              '77 J10 Golden Eagle 401

Comment

Working...
                              X