• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • silvercert
    327 Rambler
    • Feb 05, 2009

is this trailer too big?

Is this too big to pull behind a Wagoneer for camping gear and such?

Daniel
    I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is that I always allow each student one free pass in my classes. The bad news is that you have now used yours for this class. Doug
  • j20brett
    360 AMC
    • Jul 05, 2006

actually they are perfect. pick it up
    Kaiser - 1981 J20 115" WB - 5.3l/4l60E/np241c/3-link hp60 spooled/Leafs 14-bolt detroit/5.13's/40's

Build Thread

Fight Crime...Shoot Back.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• kwai
      232 I6
      • Mar 01, 2010

That trailer will work fine behind the wagoneer. It will sit a little high unless you have a lifted wagoneer and flip the lunette so that it sits lower. The A2 version has the 16" 8 lug wheels. Originally designed to tow behind the M1008 CUCV truck.
      1976 Cherokee Chief
      1968 Kaiser M715
      1981 Scrambler Laredo

Comment

• Daddio
        258 I6
        • Dec 13, 2008

I had one until recently and I felt like it was a little too big for a stock height and tire size wagoneer. Even more so if your rear springs are sagging. You can change the axle on the trailer and use matching tires and wheels on both, which would lower it quite a bit. Matching tires between the trailer and tow vehicle was the original plan from the military. Those tires and wheels are smaller than the ones on my old trailer so maybe your axle has already been changed.

It's not too heavy but you will know it's back there. The other things you probably know about are the pintle hitch and NATO 12 pin light plug. The trailer lights are 24v if original and easy to switch out. They also weren't designed for maximum visibility. You might need this as an adapter:
        http://saturnsurplus.com/electrical/23321.htm You can find the wire info online fairly easy.

One last thing to check is if you will get a title or is it already licensed. Sometimes it's complicated to register former military equipment.
        Last edited by Daddio; 09-29-2010, 08:25 PM.
        '88 Grand Wagoneer, towing package, 360 .030, Holley Street Dominator intake, Holley Projection, rv cam, double roller timing chain, HEI, CS144, oil pump mid plate, Thorley Headers, BJ's 3" exhaust, and more...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWWCj...layer_embedded

Comment

• Daddio
          258 I6
          • Dec 13, 2008

Here is the one I had:

M101A1 not a M101A2
          '88 Grand Wagoneer, towing package, 360 .030, Holley Street Dominator intake, Holley Projection, rv cam, double roller timing chain, HEI, CS144, oil pump mid plate, Thorley Headers, BJ's 3" exhaust, and more...

Comment

• Newjeeper22
            232 I6
            • Aug 05, 2010

id get it, cool trialer
            77 J10
            basketcase

Comment

• Lindel
              Perfesser of Jeepology
              • Jun 15, 2000

Just keep in mind, it'll have a pintle tow setup, you'll need to get the proper hitch for the tow vehicle, or change the trailer.

Other than that, it'll be fine. Change the 24V bulbs for 12V and you'll be golden.
              Jeep Grounds
              RRV Homepage
              Texas Full Size Jeep Association
              1987 Grand Wagoneer
              AMC 360/TF727/NP229
              1999 Wrangler Sport
              4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• silvercert
                327 Rambler
                • Feb 05, 2009

Originally posted by Daddio
                How much did you end up paying for it? I can't believe the price would stay at 150
                Daniel
                I have some good news and some bad news. The good news is that I always allow each student one free pass in my classes. The bad news is that you have now used yours for this class. Doug

Comment

• Gambler68
                  Rabble Rouser
                  • Feb 29, 2004

You can get pintel hitches from Northern Tool..no idea if they are road legal.

Cool trailer!
                  1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
                  1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
                  The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
                  Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• CutterN55
                    350 Buick
                    • Mar 09, 2009

Silvercert- stay on top of the bidding and no the price probably won't stay at 150. usually they go for at least a couple hundred bucks. I've been looking for one for a while and may have found one I can snag up cheap.

Gambler-the pintle hitches are good to go as far as I know, I had one on my car hauler.
                    ROMANS 12:1-2

Military guys- Check out www.MilitaryJeepers.com

'89 GW deceased
                    Ford 4spd swap Np435/205
                    Lifted/stretched on 36's/4.10 thick gears/spooled rear

'86 CJ-7 Renegade, Restored, original steel.
                    new Built TBI 258/Np435/D300 twin-sticks/Waggy D44's
                    37" Super Swampers and lots of goodies!

Comment

• CutterN55
                      350 Buick
                      • Mar 09, 2009

FWIW the M101's are sit higher and are heavy and would not be good for trail use. If using as a utility trailer they'd be okay.

The M416's are the really cool ones that go well behind a trail jeep. they are the shorter 1/2 ton version and you can do some cool stuff to them.
                      ROMANS 12:1-2

Military guys- Check out www.MilitaryJeepers.com

'89 GW deceased
                      Ford 4spd swap Np435/205
                      Lifted/stretched on 36's/4.10 thick gears/spooled rear

'86 CJ-7 Renegade, Restored, original steel.
                      new Built TBI 258/Np435/D300 twin-sticks/Waggy D44's
                      37" Super Swampers and lots of goodies!

Comment

• Daddio
                        258 I6
                        • Dec 13, 2008

Here is a picture of the the trailer I had. I paid 400 and sold it for 400. I'm sure I could have gotten more, but I wasn't trying to make money off the deal. The previous owner is the one who repainted and he did a great job.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X