• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 44BZ
    304 AMC
    • Dec 10, 2009

Originally posted by Gambler68
    still playing with spring packs in the front..hopefully can get some hours in on this week...weather is beautiful and still bug free..
    I don't really have any helpful suggestions for your steering setup, but I'm glad you're still moving forward with it. Keep on, keepin on
    Zack - 68 J2000, AMC 327, 4bbl intake, dual exhaust, Pertronix upgrade, Holley 600cfm, T18, dana 20 (twin sticked), 3" body lift w/ 35x12.50 MTRs ~ running AND driving!

Comment

• Gambler68
      Rabble Rouser
      • Feb 29, 2004

Originally posted by 44BZ
      I don't really have any helpful suggestions for your steering setup, but I'm glad you're still moving forward with it. Keep on, keepin on

Budget is down to zero again, but now it's mainly a matter of working with the stuff I have, which is good. Have to knock apart the other high steer knuckle and spacer and studs and swap them over to this one (or just swap out the ball joints..that's almost be easier..) and see if that'll work..got a welder lined up for the highsteer stuff but need to bribe one to come by and do the spring pads..fun stuff!
      1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
      1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
      The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
      Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• 44BZ
        304 AMC
        • Dec 10, 2009

What's the happs with this?
        Zack - 68 J2000, AMC 327, 4bbl intake, dual exhaust, Pertronix upgrade, Holley 600cfm, T18, dana 20 (twin sticked), 3" body lift w/ 35x12.50 MTRs ~ running AND driving!

Comment

• Gambler68
          Rabble Rouser
          • Feb 29, 2004

Originally posted by 44BZ
          What's the happs with this?
          I am working on the high steer. I am completely stalled by the lack of a ball joint install/remove kit, and too broke to buy or rent one :/
          The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
          Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• 44BZ
            304 AMC
            • Dec 10, 2009

[quote=Gambler68]I am working on the high steer. I am completely stalled by the lack of a ball joint install/remove kit, and too broke to buy or rent one :/[/quot

Man, if I had one I'd send it to you but alas I do not...I'm eager for you to get this thing runnin again. I think mine will be followin in your footsteps someday

Comment

• Gambler68
              Rabble Rouser
              • Feb 29, 2004

[QUOTE=44BZ]
              I am working on the high steer. I am completely stalled by the lack of a ball joint install/remove kit, and too broke to buy or rent one :/[/quot

Man, if I had one I'd send it to you but alas I do not...I'm eager for you to get this thing runnin again. I think mine will be followin in your footsteps someday
              Yeah, got some other things I can do of course. Tank is all rehabbed, and ready to bolt in and plumb. Pertronix install, some wiring..dang heat has been killer lately. I also need to redo the bearings in the front D44 and get pads, and rebuild the selectable hubs. Hopefully we'll have a long fall this year
              Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Gambler68
                Rabble Rouser
                • Feb 29, 2004

Well..after finally getting my high steer set up with the right lift knuckles and .250 wall dom steering link to the steering box..I've come to the sad conclusion that you cannot do a SOA HD44 swap with 'stockish' height springs by any means. You would need springs made with at least 4" of lift, and with very thick spring leaves, but only a few (certainly not the 6-9 that are in stock packs). SO...I've basically decided to completely remove the 2" springs and post mounts, and salvage spring hangers from a 77 frame I have out back, and put those on hanger under frame. I *think* I won't have any problems with the steering box I swapped in there. I have both that frame, and front frame section cut off a 82 J10 with hangers on that, that I can literally place side to side with the 68 to get proper alignment. All I have to do is get a welder rig over here. This will net me a bit more lift than I planned for, but I have *plenty* of front 2.5" FSJ spring packs here. Any $$ involved (paying a welder) would be less than buying Hellcreek or Alcan 2" lift springs, and still dealing with the finishing fab trying to work around the post mount width. And obviously much better springs for weight. It's a just a big decision right now to cut those posts off, but I think it's the best idea.

Pretty sure this is what Tad did with his, right Tad?
                Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Gambler68
                  Rabble Rouser
                  • Feb 29, 2004

2 hours of work..

I may salvage some brackets off one of the parts rigs out back, or look into having some made. Either way it's gotta be free or beer money.
                  Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                    Señor Jackhead
                    • Aug 21, 2002

wow, now ya did it...
                    Flint
                    Ran when parked.
                    http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                    88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                    76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                    http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• serehill
                      Gone,Never Forgotten.
                      • Nov 22, 2009

Vintage tin

That live again. luv that 327.

80 Cherokee
                      360 ci 727 with
                      Comp cams 270 h
                      NP208
                      Edlebrock performer intake
                      Holley 4180
                      Msd total multi spark.
                      4" rusty's springs
                      Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• hummer010
                        232 I6
                        • Jul 26, 2007

Yeah, I just read through this thread, again, for about the fifth time.

I've been eyeing my 14-bolt/10-bolt combo out of a chev 3/4 ton for awhile, and thinking about all the work involved in the swap. Next year ...
                        68 j3000 327/T18/D20 Work in Progress

Comment

• Gambler68
                          Rabble Rouser
                          • Feb 29, 2004

Originally posted by fulsizjeep
                          wow, now ya did it...
                          yeah...sometimes you gotta give yourself a kick in the rear and just doo eeet.

Sere: I can't wait to fire it
                          Hummer: 10bolt is the same as a normal D44, and the 14bolt is only good for wheeling with 37" tires or more due to clearance. Now the 14bolt with a pinion guard and a shave, and a D60 or HD44 SOA with chromoly shafts would be good for some skinny 37"s all day long..also the 14B requires a SUF, our frames are far wider than any other manufacturer, learned all that when looking. Jeep D60 is perfect I love these huge fat Swampers but it won't be driveable for long with them, likely will end up with a set of Mil Sup 36/37, or if I'm lucky a real set of tires that size. They come up all the time for sale on the Colorado4x4 forum, just gotta have the cash and gas and good timing...

anyways, yanked out a piece of frame from a 82 J10, and found enough common reference points to proceed. Front shackle mount will stick out a hair, rear one will be fine. I have yards of frame sections, boxed and unboxed, so I may start cutting up some reinforcement plates and spacers and doodads and start hunting down a welder guy. Got one with a genny and a big lincoln on a trailer that said he'd come over anytime, let's hope that's true
                          Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Gambler68
                            Rabble Rouser
                            • Feb 29, 2004

ps..that little rivet sticking out is the sole remaining damage from the cow I hit long ago
                            Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• Tad
                              • Nov 30, 2001

Pretty sure this is what Tad did with his, right Tad?
                              Yes.
                              Too bad the frame was rusted out, but it lives on as parts in CA.
                              2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                              EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
                              Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• Gambler68
                                Rabble Rouser
                                • Feb 29, 2004

how I'm lining things up. Differences between a 68 J3000 frame and a 82 J10 SWB frame are minimal in the front. Some holes are the same but not many. The threaded bumper bracket holes are identical (circled in red)

notes:

basically I'm using the center of the rad support and the center of those threaded holes as base points since the front clips are the same 63-91

Newer shock towers will bolt on with two of the holes for proper sweep back positioning. 3rd hole will need to be drilled or likely just a weld at the bottom.

The recessed areas on the 82 are the holes that Tad uses for the steering brace IIRC, as one can see, that doesn't exist on a first gen frame.

It looks like GEN2 motor mount arms for I6/360/401 years would bolt in fine with the addition of one hole drilled.

Brake line brackets and bumpstops would have to be added as well, all in different spots.
                                Last edited by Gambler68; 08-31-2011, 07:34 AM.
                                Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

Working...
                                X