• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jode
    JB Welder
    • Apr 08, 2002

7 miles per gallon ?!?!?!?!

I have been tracking my fuel usage and trying to use a light right foot for the last month to see if it makes enough difference to make it worthwhile to not always be mashing the gas. I just ran some numbers on the last three tanks?I am averaging 7.15 mpg I had no idea it was this bad. I have a stock 401 that seems to run fine, with performer intake and Carter AFB. I ?tuned? the carb myself with a vac guage as best I could (I am no pro at this) and thought I kinda had it dialed in. However, it may be running a bit rich (based on the fact that the exhaust smells a bit rich)
    So my question is, what specific things should I look for/pinpoint to try to get my mpg up. I know I am not going to get 15 mpg, but 10 would be nice
    At this point, I am thinking of taking it to this mechanic I know handing him $50 cash and saying spend an hour tinkering on the tune for this thing OK?
    No FSJs for the time being - "I'm working on it, I'm working on it" (think Mike Meyers' SNL skit about the gut)
  • JERSEY JOE
    304 AMC
    • Jan 15, 2004

Did you buy the AFB new? If not get a tuning kit and replace the jets and metering rods with the stock setup. I had a similar setup on one of my 360's. The metering rods have a large effect on fuel economy, also there are springs for the rods that should be checked. For stock settings try the Edelbrock or Carter website.

Beyond that check that the vacuum chamber on the distributor is good. Hook a hose to it, it should hold suction AND look at the breaker plate while you apply suction. It should move. Next make sure that you have the hose going to the distributor set to ported vacuum NOT manifold vacuum.
    1985 J-20 401 6 inch lift, 37's plow truck. CURRENT PROJECT
    1986 CJ 7 360 T-18 granny low Dana 44 , 4 inch lift 35's
    1882 CJ 7 360 727 auto Dana 60's 35's cage
    1970 AMX was SCCA B production. 390 cross ram. GOOGLE IT

Comment

• BK
      327 Rambler
      • Mar 21, 2003

Come on now, these things are "da bomb!". Gas mileage is low and what fun is it if you don't mash the gas now and then?
      82 Waggy

Comment

• jode
        JB Welder
        • Apr 08, 2002

Oops ? about that dist advance line?forgot to mention that I broke off the vac nipple (crappy plastic Prestolite dizzy ) That line is plugged. Makes you wonder though, could no vac advance be causing that much of a gas mileage decrease?
        No FSJs for the time being - "I'm working on it, I'm working on it" (think Mike Meyers' SNL skit about the gut)

Comment

• jode
          JB Welder
          • Apr 08, 2002

Originally posted by BK:
          what fun is it if you don't mash the gas now and then?
          Usually I do....which is why I started metering the gas consumption and going easy on the skinny. I wanted to see if it really made that much of a difference...

Comment

• pb
            350 Buick
            • Aug 28, 2003

I had been getting 7 mph for awhile (since I bought the wagon). I just replaced the wheel brake cylinders this weekend. I haven't checked the mileage, but she runs a lot better and coasts on the road.

I had looked at everything until one day I tried to push it forward 6" to get the garage door to shut. It wouldn't budge. The back driver's side brake was seized.

[ March 10, 2004, 02:05 PM: Message edited by: pb ]
            Paul
            1975 Wagoneer DD
            360 with large cap ecm controlled HEI, TBI EFI, Comp Cam 260H, Edelbrock Performer Intake, CS130 alt, 4 row radiator, S10 steering box, QT w/LO, WT 3.54 D44 axles. Rancho 9000X's, ~4" lift, Caddy rear discs.

Comment

• joe
              • Apr 28, 2000

Originally posted by jode:
              Oops ? about that dist advance line?forgot to mention that I broke off the vac nipple (crappy plastic Prestolite dizzy ) That line is plugged. Makes you wonder though, could no vac advance be causing that much of a gas mileage decrease?
              It's possible Jode. When you do put your foot in it w/o vac adv the fuel is doing nothing to make you go faster till the mechanical adv catches up. I would fix that first(by throwing the presto-no-light dizzy away) and then go from there. Granted both my trucks were/are only 360's but both got 10-11mpgs running stock 4.09 gears so yours should at least be crowding the double number range.

[ March 10, 2004, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: -joe ]
              joe
              "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• jode
                JB Welder
                • Apr 08, 2002

Good point - I should have a "new" Presto crap dizzy to throw in there by this wknd....then I'll remeasure mpg and let you know...frankly htough, I could never tell the difference

Comment

• kreb
                  350 Buick
                  • Dec 03, 2001

i just did some number crunching on my own and my 8mpg is not going to cut it. the truck runs like a top and no real problems. but the mileage is not working. the carb is rebuit and the plugs look fine. keep us posted

benjamin
                  Kreboneer
                  1991 Grand Wagoneer
                  360/ 2150
                  4" Rusty's lift 32x11.5 BFG KM, 1.5" block rear MSD/TFI, Pioneer sound
                  '85 grill, '78 WT wheels
                  houston, tx
                  [email protected]
                  "if you don't have time to do it right, you don't have time to do it twice." - stolen from another board member who's name i can't recall

Comment

• Rich 89 Gr. Wag
                    232 I6
                    • Mar 18, 2002

11-12 mpg for me with the 360 and the Motorcrap carb.
                    1989 Grand Wagoneer (stock, maroon)<br />1987 Grand Wagoneer (sold)<br />1990 BMW 750iL, a 12 cylinder screamer<br />1992 BMW 850i 6-speed<br />2000 Ford Windstar, wife\'s car

Comment

• carrotman
                      327 Rambler
                      • Oct 21, 2003

A Prestolite ignition without a vacuum advance is like towing a parachute behind your Wagoneer. When I replaced the Prestolite with an HEI on my 76 360, the vapor lock, stalling, and hard starting disappeared. I was always blaming my carb, fuel pump, fuel filter, gas tank, and gas lines. Still get only 10 MPG, but it was worth it.
                      76 Chief, T18, 3.54, HEI, Carter AFB.

Comment

• jode
                        JB Welder
                        • Apr 08, 2002

Well, I am getting the "new" prestolite this wknd, but i should have funds for the complete Motorcrap/TFI swap within a few months...that will be nice. I can turn my 31s as is, if this TFI is all it is cracked up to be, I oughta be able to really roast em after the swap heh?

Comment

• billyrb
                          BJ's Off-Road
                          • Aug 15, 2001

Jode, that vac. advance is #1 to fix. Then check the mixture and tune it a little bit leaner than what you have (if you smell a lot of gas when running). What gears are you running?

If you have 2.72's through 3.31's, with your tires and 4bbl, you should be getting around 10-12mpg. average if you do some highway or straight driving and some traffic driving, with a regular foot (in it about 15% of the time).
                          BJ's Off-Road
                          [email protected]
                          Your source for '63-'91 FSJ Parts

Comment

• Gawdzilla.
                            360 AMC
                            • Oct 11, 2003

vacuum advance really only helps when you're not on the gas (when the engine is under very little load)...so when you're cruising or coasting you develop more vacuum. more vacuum gives more advance. More advance allows you to run leaner, etc.
                            if you do a lot of stop and go driving tho, forget it. your mileage is gonna suck.
                            Ed Mitchell
                            74 J10

Comment

• jode
                              JB Welder
                              • Apr 08, 2002

Ah hah...that makes sense Gawdzilla - cuz if you have a vac guage hooked up to the manifold, vac plummets when you hit the gas, vac can only be sustained when you are cruising...it makes sense.
                              I drive to and from work in the wag, approx 5 stops per 10 miles - never exceeding 45 mph
                              Maybe that isn't really helping me either huh?

I'm going to be doing some freeway driving this wknd (although I never go over 60 anymore what with the vac advance non-functional and all) and although I will be towing a trailer, I'll track the mileage to see what it looks like.
                              Thanks all

Comment

Working...
                              X