• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HobokenWagoneer
    232 I6
    • Dec 01, 2014

Tailgate wiring - again

So I bought an 88 wagoneer which is overall great but sadly had a backyard mechanic with even less skill than myself making things "work" .

My tailgate works if you hook a battery to the wires this guy hooked to the motor. I watched him do it, and didn't think much of it thinking I could trace the wires and fix.

Not that simple.

I need to find out how the wires run from the switch on the dash back to the tailgate. Where do the wires normally run? I'd like to replace or repair stock as much as possible.

Just to be clear the tailgate works grate at the tailgate, but the wiring is completely missing (along with everything behind the rear seat) so I don't even know where to start looking. I'm trying to avoid pulling panels and looking since the last panel I pulled fell a bit apart due to age.
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

The tailgate wiring runs from the firewall then underneath along the frame and into the lower left hole in bottom of tailgate.

oljeep.com has wiring diagrams and service manuals
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• JeepJeepster
      350 Buick
      • Sep 04, 2014

Lay down under the drivers side rear of the jeep and look for the plugs near the frame rail. Its all right there.

Then like babywag said it runs to the front along the drivers side frame rail.
      2004 Jeep Liberty
      1998 Jeep ZJ 5.9
      1994 Jeep ZJ I6
      1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 360

Comment

Working...
      X