What do you folks lube your window tracks with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rang-a-stang
    Administrator
    • Oct 31, 2016

What do you folks lube your window tracks with?

Just installed new window felts and scrapers on my tailgate and now the motor sounds like it is having a hard time. I read somewhere you can put some sort of lube on the fuzzies to help the windows slide easier. True? If so, what do you use?
    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
    (Cherokee Build Thread)
    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
    00 Baby Cherokee
  • SOLSAKS
    304 AMC
    • Jul 25, 2016

I remember new car dealers using spray silicone
    but i am sure it makes a mess.
    SOLSAKS - dave
    1976 J-10 HONCHO Fleetside
    1982 J-10 Fleetside
    1988 grand wagoneer
    2004 RUBICON jeep
    Benson, NC

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

+1
      Spray silicone works fine. Not messy at all but it's not a cure for an out of alignment binding piece of window glass. Just a bit of yearly preventative maint.
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• Tripwire
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Jul 30, 2000

+2 sillicone, also as an experiment try raising the glass with the gate ajar to see if its faster it could be rubbing too hard against the weatherstripping on the upper body as it goes up ... the fuzzy tracks are adjustable and a slight tweak can make all the difference

steve
        Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

Good info! I will get some spray silly cone.

I noticed the adjustment when I installed them but am not ready to adjust yet (waiting on another part). I'll probably do both (lube and adjust). What is the best way to align it? Is that in the service manual?
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
          (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Tripwire
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Jul 30, 2000

i dont think so, but its pretty obvious , use a popsicle stick or something to measure the gap inside and out at 1/3 way up and fully closed, the should be reasonably even, with a slight preference to being tighter on the inside, you are not really keeping out water, just wind noise/ whistle it took me several attempts to find the sweet spot, and dont assume both sides of the glass should be the same as the tailgate often does not "sit" square in the opening - that can be adjusted some what, but its a pita

steve
            Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• babywag
              out of order
              • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
              Good info! I will get some spray silly cone.

I noticed the adjustment when I installed them but am not ready to adjust yet (waiting on another part). I'll probably do both (lube and adjust). What is the best way to align it? Is that in the service manual?
              Best way for all glass is with regulator disconnected.
              When adjusted glass should slide up/down very easily.
              New seals will add slight drag, and new wipes/scrapers will add more.
              With adjustment bolts/screws snug but loose enough to move they'll self adjust then tighten them down.

Some aftermarket wipes/scrapers are very stiff/poorly made and adds a lot of drag. These should be installed after glass channels are adjusted.
              Tony
              88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• ShagWagon
                350 Buick
                • Apr 10, 2016

Syl-glyde

It’s like a silicone grease in a tube.
                87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• SkylinePCG
                  258 I6
                  • Jan 11, 2005

My take on lubing: petroleum-based stuff (WD40) works best IF you can replace it at regular intervals. I say that because the oil in it latches onto dirt, and eventually defeats the original purpose.

If access is difficult-like a key hole or Window tracks, then a spray silicone is a better option for the application.
                  1980 Cherokee WT

360, 727, 219, 35s
                  Holley 4bbl, Edelbrock performer intake/cam, TFI, Hedman LT headers, HB brakes, aaaand GW seats!

Still on the shelf... Hamilton EFI, Transgo TF-2...

Comment

Working...
                  X