• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • offthebeatenpath
    232 I6
    • May 31, 2019

Post mount leaf spring options

I've got my '65 J200 w/the 230 Tornado (currently in pieces), so naturally I'm thinking about the suspension I've gone down a whole bunch of rabbit trails, and here's what I've found:

The only "off the shelf" suspension option is Hell's Creek. Not a bad option, it's just expensive - $1400 or so.
    Deaver won't return my emails.
    Some suggest getting springs re-arched. The closest place to me that would do it (4 hours away) quoted me $750 an axle. Plus bushings.
    Some say bastard pack/helper springs/add-a-leaf/blocks/air bags. All have some potential, but also each have their own drawbacks. And most of those are anectdotal or skeptical at best.

Okay, hold my beer and watch this..... Here's what I'm thinking.
    Here's the dimensions of the springs, as found in this thread (here):

1962-69 trucks use:
    22 x 22 x 2 inch front springs with 7/8 inch post mounts and 9/16 inch shackle bushings
    26 x 26 x 2 1/2 inch rear springs with a 7/8 post mount and 9/16 shackle bushings.

Then, found in this chart (here) you can see that front springs from a 76-86 CJ match the dimensions of the fronts for early Gladiators:
    22 1/16" x 22 1/16" x 2" @920lb rating (for 6 leaf pack)
    And that the rear leaf springs from a 73-87 Cheby C10 2WD match the dimensions of the rears for early Gladiators:
    26 x 26 x 2.5" @ 1290lb rating (other options also)

If, then, so......
    You found a place that had the correct bushings (some require brass, some don't), assuming the bushings that come in the springs are wrong, that could be pressed into place, like this:
    Replace worn or damaged leaf spring bushings with these replacement Dayton bushings. Search bushings based on dimensions or call for assistance.

Couldn't you theoretically have a proper set of new leaf springs for a post mount suspension equipped truck for close to $500?????? ($100/ wheel, plus bushings & labor)

Now, I know there's still a few variables. Specifically spring rate. And what the height/arch of the springs are.
    But I think this could work.
    Help me out here, am I onto something? What says you?
  • rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

There's a guy on FSJ.net that just documented converting the Post mount to a system similar to the '76 and later FSJs. Using available brackets and springs.

Comment

• offthebeatenpath
      232 I6
      • May 31, 2019

That’s a pretty cool set up, but I’m not looking at going that far- he changed all the spring and shackle mounts, all four brakes, swapped axles, changed from SOA to SUA. I’m just talking about springs

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

It may work or it may not?
        As you said height is an unknown.
        Also spring eye sizing may make finding correct post mount style bushing(s) difficult?
        Tony
        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Heep-J4000
          350 Buick
          • Feb 09, 2014

Make your bushings on a lathe from some nylon bar.

Did that for the front leaf springs of my 73 j4000
          Jeep "because mother nature hates flat roads to"

http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=180974

99' Dodge ram 2500 4x4 crew cab 5.9 Cummins ,backup work truck for now
          73' Jeep J4000 (named Heep or Desert Dragon) amc 360 V8 converted to LPG with T15/D20 (was my daily work truck for thirteen years and is getting major overhaul at the moment!)
          80' Jeep cj5 350 V8 Chevy/sm420/D300 project
          70/71 Jeep J4000 parts truck with Buick 350

Former vehicles:
          85' Volkswagen caddy mk1 1.6 diesel.
          83 Toyota land cruiser BJ42 3.4 diesel.

Comment

I found the rear posts I torched off a J4000 if anyone needs them.
            Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• offthebeatenpath
              232 I6
              • May 31, 2019

I'm still kicking this around, thought I'd bring it back to the top of the list and see if anyone else has input.

Comment

• timwiller
                232 I6
                • May 15, 2014

2c

looked into this for many hours and Hell Creek is best. the bushings are out there. post diameter is part of it and some bushing materials squeak. part of the romance...of the beast.
                1966 J-3600 Gladiator, 304 AMC, T-18/D-20 twin stick, D44/D53, custom mandrel bent magniflow exhaust

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                  Administrator
                  • Oct 31, 2016

Originally posted by timwiller
                  ...part of the romance...of the beast.
                  Awesome sentence. So Awesome. a JK/JL'er would not understand.
                  Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                  (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                  (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                  79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                  (Cherokee Build Thread)
                  11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                  09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                  00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• timwiller
                    232 I6
                    • May 15, 2014

now im curious

for example.. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Crown-Autom...YAAOSwALxgTSYz
                    1966 J-3600 Gladiator, 304 AMC, T-18/D-20 twin stick, D44/D53, custom mandrel bent magniflow exhaust

Comment

• offthebeatenpath
                      232 I6
                      • May 31, 2019

Originally posted by timwiller
                      I don't follow..... is a 9/16" bushing ID a rare breed?
                      It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to find the right bushing to press into the GM/CJ leaf spring eye.

Comment

• babywag
                        out of order
                        • Jun 08, 2005

Hellcreek posted a good resource for bushings, it includes sizes & PN's

I have seen several threads here requesting sizes on FSJ bushings, and I thought I would try to help, so here goes: ( I am going to group Wagoneers, Grand Wagoneers and Cherokees together under the heading "SJ" to keep the thread shorter, but I do know that there is a difference - just not in the spring bushings.
                        Tony
                        88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

Working...
                        X