'67 AMC 327- What oil is most appropriate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpcoutts
    304 AMC
    • Jun 28, 2002

'67 AMC 327- What oil is most appropriate?

The title says it all. I've been using 10w30. Is there a better choice for an engine from the sixties? The TSM doesn't offer much info other than use 10w30 unless the temp stays below 32 degrees.
    Jim C
    '67 J3000 Dually
    '86 J20
    '79 CJ5(in pieces)
    '86 CJ7 Doesn't need anything(so why do I have it?)
    Correction- it just needed a water pump!
  • joe
    • Apr 28, 2000

10w-30 or 10w-40 is fine. Just use a quality name brand.
    joe
    "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• tgreese
      • May 29, 2003

My Jeeps get the 20W50 Rotella or Delo for diesel engines - seems fine. I don't drive them much in the winter.
      Tim Reese
      Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
      Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
      Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
      GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
      ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• FSJunkie
        The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
        • Jan 09, 2011

The oil it was designed to run....meaning Pennzoil with Z-7 10W30. I have a case of it left over from the 1980's that I've been putting in my engines.

Or modern Quaker State high mileage 10W30. It's formulation and additives, including ZDDP, closely resemble the old oils of yore that these engines were designed to use. Quaker State developed this line of oil specifically for pre-1980 engines. It has higher ZDDP and lower detergency than other modern oils. It's also inexpensive. Walmart and Autozone have it.

I tend to stay away from Diesel oil. Yes, it works and yes it is higher ZDDP, but its higher detergency tends to offset the higher ZDDP and I think it's cleaning action is a little too aggressive. Engines benefit from having a little bit of sludge and stuff coating their insides and you don't want to strip too much of that away with detergents (solvents) in the oil.

327's don't have aggresive camshaft profiles or stiff valve springs by any means, so they are likely fine on modern low ZDDP oil, but a little extra ZDDP is good insurance since the camshafts on these engines are becoming darn near impossible to find. The Quaker State I mentioned before has enough ZDDP.

Castrol 5W50 synthetic is also high ZDDP but it is very expensive and don't let the advertising fool you: it still needs to be changed every 5000 miles or less or it breaks down. I found that out personally.

Also don't use a Wix or Napa filter on your 327. The X1258 filer they use are often defective and allow oil to drain out of the filter after the engine is shut off. Use an AC Delco PF24, STP S25, or a Purolator L30005.
        '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• jpcoutts
          304 AMC
          • Jun 28, 2002

The good news is I bought the QS 10w30 mentioned, but I ended up with a Wix filter as that was what I could find. I'll go looking for a different filter before I change it. I'm putting it in a low mileage engine, for its age but the info about the additives is the kind of help I was looking for. Thanks for all of the responses, that's what makes this such a great group!
          Jim C
          '67 J3000 Dually
          '86 J20
          '79 CJ5(in pieces)

Comment

• 440sixpack
            327 Rambler
            • Jul 21, 2016

even though your engine has low pressure springs you should run zinc in it as it was intended to have. just add one of the ZZDP additives and you should be fine.

I run only Brad Penn oils ( formerly Kendall ) in my flat tappet engines because it has everything you need added to a high quality oil.

Comment

• FSJunkie
              • Jan 09, 2011

You can add a ZDDP additive to any oil you want.

But the Quaker State high mileage 10W30 and the Castrol synthetic 5W50 oils I mentioned already have enough ZDDP. I sent off samples of each oil and had them tested. I've run them both myself.

But yes, buying plain old Valvoline conventional and pouring in some ZDDP additive works too.

Comment

• Herk
                350 Buick
                • Jun 12, 2006

Compared to the best oil available when that engine was designed, you simply can't buy oil that bad today. As others have said, pretty much any name brand will be fine. I tend to use Rotella 15w-40 in older engines and have had no problems. The whole ZDDP thing is pretty distorted by the additive marketers. Levels have dropped, but they are similar to what was in late 50's oils. It was in the late 70's when the levels went way up. Coincidentally this was right after GM started cheaping out on the materials their cams were made of.
                There are 2 rules to success in life...
                Rule #1: Don't tell people everything you know.

1971 J-4700/Buick 350 Stage 1/TH400/D20/D44/D60/Koenig PTO Winch
                2005 LJ Rubicon Pretty close to stock

Comment

• FSJunkie
                  • Jan 09, 2011

Originally posted by Herk
                  GM started cheaping out
                  Never heard that before, have we? I swear 1970's GM cars are the reason people tend to dislike 1970's American cars.

And I own a late 1970's GM car that I love. I bash on it, but I love it.

Comment

• jpcoutts
                    304 AMC
                    • Jun 28, 2002

I got the oil changed this afternoon and all is well, except in the TSM there is a footnote that says to add an extra quart of oil if you change the filter. So I added the extra quart for a total of six and the dip stick now reads what looks like a quart too much! I think I'll just watch it for a little bit and see if there is a change. I don't think draining a quart out is necessary if it remains overfull unless some one knows it to be a bad idea.
                    Jim C
                    '67 J3000 Dually
                    '86 J20
                    '79 CJ5(in pieces)

Comment

• FSJunkie
                      • Jan 09, 2011

The manual says 4 quarts is the oil capacity, add one quart if the filter is changed with it. Total capacity is 5 quarts with filter change. The filter holds 1 quart and the oil pan holds 4 quarts.

I'd drain 1 quart out if it were my engine.

Comment

• jpcoutts
                        304 AMC
                        • Jun 28, 2002

At least I didn't mis-read it and put less in after changing the filter!
                        Jim C
                        '67 J3000 Dually
                        '86 J20
                        '79 CJ5(in pieces)

Comment

• jpcoutts
                          304 AMC
                          • Jun 28, 2002

So I went back to the TSM to double check my original thought about what it says about how much oil it takes to fill the crankcase after changing the oil and filter. The maintenance table says five quarts for an oil change and the ** footnote says to add one quart when changing the filter. I then got out the owners manual and it says 4 quarts and the footnote** there says add one quart when changing the filter. Obviously the owners manual is correct and the TSM is not. I've never questioned what the TSM says and still don't but find this very interesting. Now I just need to go out and drain a quart of oil out of it.
                          Thanks for the heads up FSJunkie!
                          Jim C
                          '67 J3000 Dually
                          '86 J20
                          '79 CJ5(in pieces)

Comment

• FSJunkie
                            • Jan 09, 2011

Save the quart you drain out. You'll probably be pouring it back in about 1000 miles.

Comment

• jpcoutts
                              304 AMC
                              • Jun 28, 2002

So true! I read in one of the manuals that you should check the oil level after about 1,000 miles and add 1 qt. if needed.
                              Jim C
                              '67 J3000 Dually
                              '86 J20
                              '79 CJ5(in pieces)

Comment

Working...
                              X