• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • uglyjeep
    232 I6
    • Aug 20, 2007

Resurecting 10yo abandoned project, 6.2 Chevy Diesel swap

Well, it’s been 10 years since I've worked on a FSJ, and looks like 5 since I last logged on here (who knows why...), but I am going to be bringing my old diesel project home in the next month or so.

Poorly documented in this thread, it started life as a 1975 Cherokee Chief. An overheated 360 and minor body rot resulted in an '88 J-code 6.2 and '67 J-series cab being installed - it made sense at the time. With a new job in a different state, the truck was relegated to sitting in my parents' yard.

Since then, I've rebuilt and put several other projects back on the road, and at various points regretted not having worked on the truck instead. One of those, an 89 Bronco 2 was just wrecked and I’m now in need of a 4x4. Rather than making a normal choice, and just purchasing another small 4x4 in decent shape locally, I’ve decided to bring out the diesel. I know I’m in for quite a project but hope that I’ll have it on the road by this summer. I figured I’d start a new thread to document the process.

As it sits now –

The "pretty" side

and not so much…

6.2l diesel with 10 years of dust

Interior isn’t so well sealed either.

more dust build up (windward side)...

EDIT: to add photos, details, & link.
    Last edited by uglyjeep; 02-24-2020, 12:16 PM.
    The eternal project -'87 6.2 diesel, '75 cherokee chassis, t-18 & dana 20, & WT dana 44's(rear lock-right, front trac-lok) , '67 j-3000 cab ('75 dash & pedals, '67 column, "leather" astro bench), '33 IH D-1 (Willys Six C-113) bed.

'66 cj-6a tuxedo park
  • rocklaurence

• Jan 14, 2009

Im looking forward to seeing it on the road. I have a GM6.2 sitting on the floor for one of my projects. Let us know all the details..

Comment

• joe
      • Apr 28, 2000

Cool project. You'll like the 6.2 dsl in there. Keep the axle gearing in mind. You'll want the 6.2 to run in the 2000-2500 RPM range for optimum happiness and fuel consumption.
      joe
      "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• uglyjeep
        232 I6
        • Aug 20, 2007

Originally posted by rocklaurence
        Im looking forward to seeing it on the road. I have a GM6.2 sitting on the floor for one of my projects. Let us know all the details..
        As best as I can recall:
        • 1988 J-code Goodwrench 6.2, dressed w/ 1982 accessories, < 90,000mi
        • 1975 Cherokee chassis, with rails added for the IH bed and modified body mounts (I think one or two had to be drilled for the cab???)
        • 1975 Cherokee wide ratio T18 and twin-sticked Dana 20, adapted using modified factory adapter/spacer w/ AA Chevy to T15 adapter.
        • 1978 J-20 D44 front axle, with '88 trac-loc and 6-lug outers, 3.54 R&P
        • 1975 Cherokee D44 rear, lock-right, 3.54 R&P
        • Astro hydroboost
        • 1967(?) J-3000 cab, w/'75 Cherokee dash (I think to better fit the '75 pedal assembly and hydroboost), mild body lift (~1.5"?) for cab-frame clearance
        • Astro "premium" bench seat, mounted with modified Astro brackets.
        • '75 Cherokee front clip. I have a rhino grill here that'll be mounted alongside a pair of CJ headlight buckets and 6" off road lights in the pie plate holes
        • Early International 6' bed. I'm not sure on its original application, but I remember a brass tag...
        Originally posted by joe
        Cool project. You'll like the 6.2 dsl in there. Keep the axle gearing in mind. You'll want the 6.2 to run in the 2000-2500 RPM range for optimum happiness and fuel consumption.
        I drove the donor at one point. Not that I remember the specifics now, but I do recall being surprised at how the NA 6.2 behaves in front of a manual (compared to all the online chatter). As it is, it looks like I'll be close to 2500 at 70 (w/33's). I'd be happier with 2500 at 75, but it should be fine for my needs. I guess I could always drop down to 3.31's in the axles or run 35" tires.

-Al
        The eternal project -'87 6.2 diesel, '75 cherokee chassis, t-18 & dana 20, & WT dana 44's(rear lock-right, front trac-lok) , '67 j-3000 cab ('75 dash & pedals, '67 column, "leather" astro bench), '33 IH D-1 (Willys Six C-113) bed.

'66 cj-6a tuxedo park

Comment

• Mikel
          • Aug 09, 2000

Very cool project. Keep us updated!
          1969 M715 6x6
          1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• rang-a-stang
            Administrator
            • Oct 31, 2016

Subscribing! This thing sounds awesome!!
            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
            (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
            79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
            (Cherokee Build Thread)
            11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
            09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• letank
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Jun 03, 2002

Prime the fuel with transmission fluid... works really well.

We got our hand on one of those highway pole light trailer with a 7KW diesel air cooled generator... that had been sitting in a field for over 10 years ... new battery, fresh trany fluid as fuel... started on the 3rd crank... and now has been in service for over 7 years...
              Michel
              74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
              85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• mattmopar440
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • May 17, 2007

go through the fluids is it has an air cleaner Thank God make sure the mice havent chewed the wiring to hell behind the Dash so she doesnt burn to the ground the moment the alternator starts trying to charge id drain out all the diesel and start with fresh High sulfur offroad or Low sulfur normal diesel with a decent amount of 2 stroke added 5-6 oz per 5 gallons for first start ups like this
                87' Grand Wagoneer
                401/727/229, Currently:RUNNING
                84 J10/20 hybrid 258/727/208 Daily Driver
                80' J10 4BT/AX-15/208
                74' J10 Go Grabber Green Sold
                Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                Inferior Chevy

Comment

• mattmopar440
                  AMC 4 OH! 1
                  • May 17, 2007

Originally posted by letank
                  Prime the fuel with transmission fluid... works really well.

We got our hand on one of those highway pole light trailer with a 7KW diesel air cooled generator... that had been sitting in a field for over 10 years ... new battery, fresh trany fluid as fuel... started on the 3rd crank... and now has been in service for over 7 years...
                  Ive never tired this but I might have to give it a shot
                  87' Grand Wagoneer
                  401/727/229, Currently:RUNNING
                  84 J10/20 hybrid 258/727/208 Daily Driver
                  80' J10 4BT/AX-15/208
                  74' J10 Go Grabber Green Sold
                  Originally posted by Heavy_Metal_Thunder_81
                  Inferior Chevy

Comment

• uglyjeep
                    232 I6
                    • Aug 20, 2007

Originally posted by mattmopar440
                    ...make sure the mice havent chewed the wiring to hell behind the Dash so she doesnt burn to the ground the moment the alternator starts trying to charge...
                    Wiring??? Whats that?

The only wiring that's there are the few basic circuits I wired in years ago... mostly with wires from scrounged and hacked harnesses (I think there may even have been an extension cord "donated" to the cause). It may be best if the rats did eat it all. Definitely high on the list to replace.

Admittedly I am a bit concerned about the dry cylinders. I've been thinking that when I go out to pick it up the week after next I'll pull the glow plugs, pour in an ounce or so of marvel, and put the glow plugs back (to prevent dust from making its way in while being towed). Once home, and before attempting to start, I'll crank it without glow plugs until the cylinders are clear of oil (extra fuel...). I was thinking of bleeding the injector lines at the same time, but I hadn't considered adding oil to the fuel or priming with ATF.

'66 cj-6a tuxedo park

Comment

• uglyjeep
                      232 I6
                      • Aug 20, 2007

Figure I may as well post this while I'm here...

The tires I ordered via eBay arrived last week - a set of 5 Falken Rubitrek A/T in 33x12.5r15. According to what I've found they have similar performance to the Wildpeak A/T3W, but are slightly quieter (more of a continuous center rib), less aggressive, and have only limited distribution.

It was a deal that I figured was worth the risk (~$90/tire shipped & after tax) from a reputable seller. The tires aren't stale dated (a bit over 2 years old) and seem to have been properly stored. I suppose I'm glad I ordered them when I did, as all stock was sold within a day of my order.

It has also provided a good friend a fair amount of amusement - buying tires for a truck that I "don't have yet"...

'66 cj-6a tuxedo park

Comment

• uglyjeep
                        232 I6
                        • Aug 20, 2007

The uglyjeep is now in AZ!! It wasn't a fun trip, but we made it without incident.

Of course, while I was on the way out to CA, the stay-at-home order was given... I half expected to get hassled while there or when on the road. Thankfully there are very few cases where I was, and we didn't have any issues there or while heading back.

Loading went fairly smoothly, despite not having access to a winch. We used my dad's little 4x4 diesel tractor, a cable, and a snatch block. It worked quite well.

I had found a Banks sidewinder kit listed on Craigslist that should have been on the way and a fairly minimal detour, but the Google Maps developers must have been testing some beta routes on us... The tow vehicle is a 2wd Ford f250 with the 5.4L engine - capable of towing, but not much power left in reserve with this load and limited traction. On one road Google choose for our drive we were on pavement for a mile or so then sand for nearly 10 - in more than a few spots we came close to getting stuck.

The rest of the trip was without issue, just long and with frequent stops - my wife drove out with me and was following behind with our two dogs...

And here's one at Chiriaco Summit - the obligatory "tanks in the background photo".

'66 cj-6a tuxedo park

Comment

• uglyjeep
                          232 I6
                          • Aug 20, 2007

So I've been able to work on it here and there, but at this point its mostly been a job of figuring out what's needed... No surprise, the parts are starting to add up.

After getting it out here, the first step was to clean it up a bit to see what we're dealing with. Pressure washing removed the dirt and dust that has built up but I'll need to go back in with degreaser as well.

Having access to the lift (not my shop) is an extreme advantage.

We did give it a few goes to start, but turning the diesel over was a bit too much strain for the junk batteries we had available, and the "self regulating" glow plugs I had installed years ago weren't so regulated. All the glow plugs are now swollen... 2 have been removed so far.

While waiting for parts to arrive, we've moved on to the suspension and drivetrain.

Both rear springs are buggered, but luckily at some point I had obtained a pair as replacements (which I almost left behind - didn't remember what they were off...)

Last edited by uglyjeep; 04-07-2020, 05:00 PM.

'66 cj-6a tuxedo park

Comment

Working...
                          X