• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newwagwheeler
    232 I6
    • Aug 31, 2007

Am I steering my Jeep?

Now this issue has been plaguing me for some time, I am just now gettin gto the point where I can address it. Driving down the road and all of the sudden my jeep tries to switch lanes. Never the same direction, always keeps me guessing. Very exciting stuff here. This will happen of rough or smooth surfaces alike. Any thoughts?
  • mudjammer
    232 I6
    • Jan 13, 2005

Do you have a lift?
    88 GW SOA, shacke flip 35x12.5x15 Baja Claws

77 J10 Stock

Comment

• BarryL
      327 Rambler
      • Aug 29, 2007

Any thoughts?
      Worn tie rod ends, ball joints, etc.
      '84 Wag, 360, 727, 229, stock 177k

Comment

• Goat9
        230 Tornado
        • Sep 12, 2008

I've got a 3" lift and mine did that bad too. I put a dropped pitman arm, and that seemed to help some but not totally. I'm starting to wonder if it's the 31X10.5 tires on stock rims or bent axle! Front end seems pretty tight.

Comment

• newwagwheeler
          232 I6
          • Aug 31, 2007

Oh yea. Sorry about that. The lift consists of a SOA with chevy 6" lift springs. runnung 33 x 12.50 x 15.

Comment

• Headhoncho
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Oct 11, 2006

Originally posted by newwagwheeler
            Oh yea. Sorry about that. The lift consists of a SOA with chevy 6" lift springs. runnung 33 x 12.50 x 15.

If you remounted the spring perches on the frame to mount the ch*vy springs OR relocated the spring pads on the axle for springover, my guess is the caster/camber (can't remember which it is) is way off and causing the truck to wander.

JR
            [quote] "How does someone from Iran have a BJ's Offroad sticker but I can't seem to get one sent to New Jersey???!!!"

1980 Honcho Sportside w/37's, 351c, 14" lift, D44high pinion w/Aussie, crossover steering, 14b w/detroit, np435, 205, 5.13's, 4whl discs, hb brakes, OBAir, rusted out cab,
            1966 mustang fastback
            '07 Dodge Charger 3.5

Comment

• Headhoncho
              AMC 4 OH! 1
              • Oct 11, 2006

Drive it right to an alignment shop and have them do a 4 wheel alignment and check the caster/ camber too. I guarantee it's way off. If it's not that you must be running 7" wide rims with your 12.5 tires.

JR
              [quote] "How does someone from Iran have a BJ's Offroad sticker but I can't seem to get one sent to New Jersey???!!!"

1980 Honcho Sportside w/37's, 351c, 14" lift, D44high pinion w/Aussie, crossover steering, 14b w/detroit, np435, 205, 5.13's, 4whl discs, hb brakes, OBAir, rusted out cab,
              1966 mustang fastback
              '07 Dodge Charger 3.5

Comment

• Tad
                • Nov 30, 2001

SOA on top of 6" springs?
                That's a lot of lift for sure.
                Or are we talking SOA front and 6" springs rear?
                2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
                Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• newwagwheeler
                  232 I6
                  • Aug 31, 2007

The rims match the tires. Last time i had the alignment shop look at it, they said that the @!#$^!&&% was off just a little bit. That meant that the top of the tires was pointed in just a little bit, front and rear. There are no adjustments for these settings.

Comment

• newwagwheeler
                    232 I6
                    • Aug 31, 2007

No. The soa and 6" lift springs are in the front. The rear has rebuilt/ relocated shackle hangers, AAL, and blocks bring it up even with the front.

Comment

• billyrb
                      BJ's Off-Road
                      • Aug 15, 2001

When you did your SOA, did you convert over to High-Steer?
                      BJ's Off-Road
                      [email protected]
                      Your source for '63-'91 FSJ Parts

Comment

• rustywagoneers_com
                        304 AMC
                        • Feb 02, 2006

I want to SEE the caster numbers. Not be told that ANYTHING is 'just a little bit off'.

peace
                        Dave
                        There is no way to rule innocent men.
                        The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals.
                        Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them.
                        One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.

Comment

• Headhoncho
                          AMC 4 OH! 1
                          • Oct 11, 2006

Last time i had the alignment shop look at it, they said that the @!#$^!&&% was off just a little bit. That meant that the top of the tires was pointed in just a little bit, front and rear. There are no adjustments for these settings.
                          Was that after all the mods to the spring hangers? I still say the caster is probably off some. Did you SOA your existing front axle pads or did you install a factory SOA axle? The tires pointing in at the tops will actually help the handling. It shouldn't really cause it to wander.

JR

1966 mustang fastback
                          '07 Dodge Charger 3.5

Comment

• newwagwheeler
                            232 I6
                            • Aug 31, 2007

Wow. Lots of great ideas here. I appreciate all of the feed back. I installed a DP when I did the SOA. I used the original axle and just welded on new perches. The angle is right at 4%. I did not convert to high steer. When the alignment shop told me the problem, they did give me exact numbers. With no adjustment to be made........... those numbers have long since left my brain.

Comment

• james1414d
                              350 Buick
                              • Oct 08, 2002

Wow. Lots of great ideas here. I appreciate all of the feed back. I installed a DP when I did the SOA. I used the original axle and just welded on new perches. The angle is right at 4%. I did not convert to high steer. When the alignment shop told me the problem, they did give me exact numbers. With no adjustment to be made........... those numbers have long since left my brain.
                              I don't think there is enough info to help you. How flat is the drag link? Pictures? It sounds like you have alot of lift
                              Super wagoneer gone!

Comment

Working...
                              X