s10 Gearbox swap-good company

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Long&Low
    Anybody got pics of an S10 box in their truck?
    It looks just like a standard saginaw box...just minus one of the mounting bolts on the frame side.

aa
    1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• -Bluegill-
      258 I6
      • Oct 09, 2007

Originally posted by Long&Low
      Anybody got pics of an S10 box in their truck?
      I'd snap some, but I can see the questions now - "which muddy/rusty part is that?" LOL

It looks almost just like the stock FSJ box except only 3 bolts thru the frame mounts.
      -Rob
      www.TNFSJ.org
      www.4x4Grace.com

1979 Cherokee W/T "Blue"
      2001 TJ Sport "Rudy"

Comment

• Thomas792
        327 Rambler
        • Sep 16, 2007

So it is better why??
        1974 J10 (401, Th400, Q-Trac, D44s, 28" tires)
        Mrs Tickity - 1988 GW (360, 727, 229, D44s, 32" tires)

Comment

• -Bluegill-
          258 I6
          • Oct 09, 2007

Originally posted by Thomas792
          So it is better why??
          Most FSJ steering boxes are designed for maximum power assistance at all times, which means at interstate speeds you can almost blow on the wheel & it will change directions. When the S-10 box is centered (i.e, highway speeds), it is firmer - less pump pressure - to help keep your rig pointed straight. But off road or tight street turns it feels alot like the FSJ box. Basically more steering stability for lifted rigs.
          -Rob
          www.TNFSJ.org
          www.4x4Grace.com

1979 Cherokee W/T "Blue"
          2001 TJ Sport "Rudy"

Comment

• Thomas792
            327 Rambler
            • Sep 16, 2007

I've heard the best box was the J20 box because of the 2" bore (on the master cylinder?) So the S10 box is better? Does it matter 4x2 or 4x4 and what years? Will it leak less than my FSJ boxes?
            My GW box is leaking and a replacement from a yard that is leak free and less "sensitive" at highway speed would be great.

Comment

• -Bluegill-
              258 I6
              • Oct 09, 2007

Dunno about the J-20 box, so I can't say that the S-10 box is better; but I sure do like mine. And it is probably the only thing on my Cherk that DOESN'T leak. LOL Needs to be from a 4x4, not 2wd. My FSJ pitman arm even bolted up to it.
              -Rob
              www.TNFSJ.org
              www.4x4Grace.com

1979 Cherokee W/T "Blue"
              2001 TJ Sport "Rudy"

Comment

• Thomas792
                327 Rambler
                • Sep 16, 2007

Looks like I'll have to bring the kid's wagon to the pick'n'pull as the parts list keeps growing.

Comment

• Long&Low
                  350 Buick
                  • Jan 03, 2008

OK, so what year range S10 would I be looking for to replace the S10 box already on the J10? And it has to be a 4x4 version, correct?
                  Breakfast amounts to one live toad, I choke that mofo down, and I am rest assured that nothing worse will happen to me for the rest of the day.

CJ truck project
                  '18 Jeep Renegade
                  '15 Jeep Cherokee

Comment

• Tad
                    • Nov 30, 2001

Originally posted by Thomas792
                    I've heard the best box was the J20 box because of the 2" bore (on the master cylinder?) So the S10 box is better? Does it matter 4x2 or 4x4 and what years? Will it leak less than my FSJ boxes?
                    My GW box is leaking and a replacement from a yard that is leak free and less "sensitive" at highway speed would be great.
                    I can't really compare the two since an S10 box does not work for the older frame (pre-D44 front I think) people.
                    My intention was to use an S10 box even tough they only have three mounting tabs, unfortunatly the older steering box mounts only have three mounting points and they are not the same, this would have left me with only two, plus a steering brace, not good.

The J20 box is bigger, visibly so on the end cap, but it's a bolt in.
                    I've been running it for almost two years now with no complaints, centers well and turns 315's easily, I don't even run a steering stabilizer but will eventually put that back on. I've not noticed any loss of performance since the HB install.
                    2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                    EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
                    Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• Thomas792
                      327 Rambler
                      • Sep 16, 2007

On another bulletin board with the initials of POR, many years ago I got the word that the J20 was better because of the 2" bore of the box. The larger bore applied more pressure to the drag link so was better/easier to turn with larger tires. I was told that it felt like a J10 box with the Redneck Ram set up. That's why I brought up the J20 question and was wondering if the S10 box applied more force to the drag link then the J10 box? If the answer is no then it is really only applicable for those who want better highway manners. I personally want one that can apply more force so I think I am staying with my original (years ago) assumption that I want a J20 box. If the S10 box applies more force then the J10, does it apply as much as the J20? What are the numbers so we can compare the pros and cons?

Comment

• -Bluegill-
                        258 I6
                        • Oct 09, 2007

The only struggle my S-10 box has turning 36" Iroks is when at least one of them is wedged on a huge rock (as in larger than the tire). Dunno about ya'll - but in my life I ain't seen ANY box be able to turn in a situation like that. Otherwise, it points these big Swampers wherever I want, without even grunting.

As soon as I figure out how to get enough pump pressure to support both HB brakes and hydro-assist ram steering - I'll let ya know.
                        -Rob
                        www.TNFSJ.org
                        www.4x4Grace.com

1979 Cherokee W/T "Blue"
                        2001 TJ Sport "Rudy"

Comment

• Serious Johnson
                          AMC 4 OH! 1
                          • May 19, 2002

Can't provide any numbers, and the only rig I've had with 36s had manual steering (now that was interesting!). I can say that my 4-year-old nephew can crank the wheel on my Wag with 33s and an S-10 box when it's front wheels are trapped in a v-gulley. If I could find a 3-year-old girl willing to try replicating the experiment perhaps I'd have a useful answer.

Just how much force do you need?

S.J.
                          "Carpe Mañana".

'83 Wagoneer
                          360, .030-over, K8600 cam, Crane springs, ported heads, Edelbrock Performer, G.M. TBI, TFI, 3" exhaust,
                          T-18a/208, D44/AMC 20 w/ limited slip in both, 3.73s, 33s, BDS 4" springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, etc., etc.

Comment

• Elliott
                            Cowboy Up
                            • Jun 22, 2002

Originally posted by -Bluegill-
                            As soon as I figure out how to get enough pump pressure to support both HB brakes and hydro-assist ram steering - I'll let ya know.
                            First thing I'd try is swapping in a pump pressure releif valve from a hydroboosted one ton dually truck's pump. That'l raise you at least a couple hundred psi. If your steering assist ram has less than a 2" piston it's also going to less gpm flow requirement. For $150 Hydratech Braking will "flow" your HB, but I doubt that is something you'd need to do with a smaller steering assist cylinder and lots of them are far less than 2".
                            *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
                            ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• -Bluegill-
                              258 I6
                              • Oct 09, 2007

Thanks for the tip Elliott! Yeah, most hydro-assist setups are recommended to use a 1.5" cylinder. I also plan on getting the AGR super pump, it can't hurt.
                              -Rob
                              www.TNFSJ.org
                              www.4x4Grace.com

1979 Cherokee W/T "Blue"
                              2001 TJ Sport "Rudy"

Comment

• HeavyIron
                                232 I6
                                • Nov 18, 2007

Originally posted by Tad
                                I can't really compare the two since an S10 box does not work for the older frame (pre-D44 front I think) people.
                                My intention was to use an S10 box even tough they only have three mounting tabs, unfortunatly the older steering box mounts only have three mounting points and they are not the same, this would have left me with only two, plus a steering brace, not good.
                                I too have a pre-D44 frame and it seems that our options are limited. So Tad, does that J20 box bolt right up? What year is that box from and how about a J10 box instead?
                                68 J2000
                                70 Waggy
                                74 J10
                                And some baby Jeeps

Comment

Working...
                                X