• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 44BZ
    304 AMC
    • Dec 10, 2009

2 barrel intake, 4 barrel carb pros/cons

I learned this weekend that I have a 2 barrel intake with a 4 barrel carb and an adapter in between. Like the title says, what are the pros and cons of this setup?
    Zack - 68 J2000, AMC 327, 4bbl intake, dual exhaust, Pertronix upgrade, Holley 600cfm, T18, dana 20 (twin sticked), 3" body lift w/ 35x12.50 MTRs ~ running AND driving!
  • Ristow
    • Jan 20, 2006

lousy airflow resulting in poor atomization retention,and poor velocity through the venturiis,poor economy.

no pros. it's a bad setup.
    Originally posted by Hankrod
    Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
    ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
    I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• tgreese
      • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by Ristow

no pros. it's a bad setup.
      Yep. Only reason to do it would be if you had no other carburetor.
      Tim Reese
      Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
      Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
      Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
      GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
      ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• 44BZ
        304 AMC
        • Dec 10, 2009

So I guess I should find a decent 2 barrel carb? I understand the AMC 327 4 barrel intake is pretty hard to find....
        Zack - 68 J2000, AMC 327, 4bbl intake, dual exhaust, Pertronix upgrade, Holley 600cfm, T18, dana 20 (twin sticked), 3" body lift w/ 35x12.50 MTRs ~ running AND driving!

Comment

• 44BZ
          304 AMC
          • Dec 10, 2009

Also any suggestions on a replacement carb?

My plan was to rebuild the Edelbrock that was on it, but since I have it off and it's a less than desireable setup it doesn't make much sense to put it back on there

Comment

• ricdiculous
            232 I6
            • Feb 28, 2008

lemme know if you wanna sell your 4bbl carb.

dunno how hard it is to find parts for the 327, i'm a 360 and 258 guy.

Comment

• Great Pharoah
              350 Buick
              • May 07, 2002

Yoy could go with the Holly 2300 500cfm two barrel. That is almost as much cfm as a small four barrel, and if you have the stock cam a 500 deuce is all you need anyway. With the stock cam your engine will not suck in enough mixture to make a four barrel worthwhile, not on an AMC 327. I know there were four barrel versions of that motor, my 59 Ambassador had one, but lots of luck trying to find a four barrel intake now.
              American Jobs should be for Americans.
              Some Cheros run at 75, and some do 69,
              But if I can get mine to start and run at all, I think I'm doing fine.

Big Mike
              "Whoopi" 80 Cherokee Golden Hawk. 360/727/208
              Horseshoe Bay, Texas

Comment

• PlasticBoob
                All Makes Combined
                • Jun 30, 2003

Originally posted by Great Pharoah
                Yoy could go with the Holly 2300 500cfm two barrel. That is almost as much cfm as a small four barrel, and if you have the stock cam a 500 deuce is all you need anyway. With the stock cam your engine will not suck in enough mixture to make a four barrel worthwhile, not on an AMC 327. I know there were four barrel versions of that motor, my 59 Ambassador had one, but lots of luck trying to find a four barrel intake now.
                This is a GREAT carb. Might even be a bit too much for a stock low-revving 327, don't know too much about those engines.
                Rob
                1974 Cherokee S, fuel injected 401, Trans-am Red, Aussie locker 'out back'
                Click for video

Comment

• 44BZ
                  304 AMC
                  • Dec 10, 2009

Yoy could go with the Holly 2300 500cfm two barrel.
                  I was actually looking at this carb on the Summit Racing website. I don't know much about carburetors as I've never owned a carbureted vehicle prior to my Jtruck. How do I go about matching the right carb to my motor? I also saw the same carb in a 350cfm flavor...How will the 500 vs 350 translate to engine performance?

Comment

• tgreese
                    • May 29, 2003

I'm not a big fan of the 2300 for off-road use. IME they are great on the street, but are terrible on steep hills or broken terrain. They flood out and stall, or simply won't run at certain angles. They can be set up to work ok (with adding several accessory parts), but you'd be better off with a carburetor that already runs well on the trail.

They also get lousy mileage.

Re the 500 v. the 350, the 500 will be better at WOT (wide open throttle), but the 350 will give you better fuel control at low speed and potentially better economy. But I would not buy either of them for this application.

If you can't find the original carburetor, I suggest you get a Motorcraft 2100 or 2150. It has the same base pattern as the Holley, and will work for any application that the Holley will. The 21xx is simple, reliable, and excellent on the trail.
                    Last edited by tgreese; 10-12-2010, 09:29 AM.
                    Tim Reese
                    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.

Comment

• 44BZ
                      304 AMC
                      • Dec 10, 2009

I've only found Holley and Rochester carbs for stock replacements. Is the Motorcraft considered an aftermarket piece? What vehicle can I find the Motorcraft on?

Thanks for all the suggestions by the way. The assistance is greatly appreciated

Comment

• tgreese
                        • May 29, 2003

You would have to buy a remanufactured Motorcraft; they aren't being made anymore.

This guy on eBay sells a lot of them. He has a great reputation too. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...item4aa5659da3

You could send him an email and see if he'll work with you.

The only other sources are from a junkyard, or a carburetor rebuilder.

Jeep used them with CJs, Commandos and FSJs for many years - maybe someone here has a used one that you could rebuild. They were also used on many thousands of small-block Fords in the '70s.
                        Tim Reese

Comment

• rustywagoneers_com
                          304 AMC
                          • Feb 02, 2006

My comments are directed toward Q-jet swapping, but I am not anti-adapter-usage; though I am in a minority.

Well, I went and bit the bullet and put a quadrajet on my 1990 gwagneer 360. I ordered it from autozone and it came to the house a couple days later.Holley rebuilt part #64 7803 for a 72 olds with a 350.I opened the box and let me tell you it was a first class rebuild all pretty and properly chromated, the throttle body
                          There is no way to rule innocent men.
                          The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals.
                          Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them.
                          One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.

Comment

• 68_Gladiator
                            350 Buick
                            • Oct 01, 2007

I have a lot of 327 parts including the stock carb with a rebuild a year ago. Let me know if your interested. And as far as off-roading I've never had a problem with it and iv gone up hills steeper than id care to do again. It's great imo
                            "Go Brow or go home"

1973 J2000

Comment

• tgreese
                              • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by 68_Gladiator
                              I have a lot of 327 parts including the stock carb with a rebuild a year ago. Let me know if your interested. And as far as off-roading I've never had a problem with it and iv gone up hills steeper than id care to do again. It's great imo
                              That would be your best choice, IMO.

The aftermarket 2300 is set up for flat track racing ... center pivot float, low bowl vents, no slosh baffles, etc. etc. The factory carb /should/ be an entirely different story.
                              Tim Reese

Comment

Working...
                              X