• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HerrKooled
    258 I6
    • Aug 18, 2010

5" MBRP exhaust on J truck w/ cummins?

Question for you guys who did the conversion, I'm ordering my exhaust for the J20, however what did you use for your exhaust? Can you order something for a 94-02 Ram truck and make it fit? No one around here can custom bend 4" or 5" and I'd like to buy their entire turbo back system if i can make it work, as I love the way they sound on 12V's, performance boost and keep the EGT's down.

Thanks
    '77 J truck.
  • wap
    230 Tornado
    • Aug 09, 2012

If you want 5" for the way it looks, sounds, or just to say you have 5" then get it. However you will notice no performance gain unless you are making major power. I know of guys making over 700hp on 4" exhaust and while I have never dynoed mine I have a healthy set of twins (64mm s300 over s476) and run a 4" DP into 5 because I like the way the 5" sounds. The twins are shipped with the 4" DP from a company that knows much more about what exhaust will work best for said turbos than I. Furthermore 5" will be harder to package just FYI.

I have put on plenty of exhausts and for the most part after the DP they are all the same from the DP to the over axle pipe just with different hangers. If you can weld or fab at all you should be fine with any exhaust just get them with the clamp on hangers so you can move them and be prepared to cut and modify as necessary. If the DP will clear your fire wall you should be fine. Never worked on a cummins that wasnt in a dodge but if your DP works the rest can be modified easy enough.

Comment

• Resbum
      327 Rambler
      • Jun 16, 2010

I have a complete 4" system for my swap that came out of a Dodge. I've taken various measurements and see no reason why they won't all fit into my truck with some cutting, fab'ing, and rewelding. I'll probably be getting to it in the next few weeks and will post pics.

Resbum
      Originally posted by Resbum
      "What year is my truck?... Which part?" Build thread- http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/view...p=18290#p18290

Comment

• Mikel
        • Aug 09, 2000

My vote too on 5" being too big unless you are making mega-HP. I'm perfectly happy with my 3" exhaust and a tweaked P-pump.
        1969 M715 6x6
        1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• HerrKooled
          258 I6
          • Aug 18, 2010

Originally posted by wap
          If you want 5" for the way it looks, sounds, or just to say you have 5" then get it. However you will notice no performance gain unless you are making major power. I know of guys making over 700hp on 4" exhaust and while I have never dynoed mine I have a healthy set of twins (64mm s300 over s476) and run a 4" DP into 5 because I like the way the 5" sounds. The twins are shipped with the 4" DP from a company that knows much more about what exhaust will work best for said turbos than I. Furthermore 5" will be harder to package just FYI.

I have put on plenty of exhausts and for the most part after the DP they are all the same from the DP to the over axle pipe just with different hangers. If you can weld or fab at all you should be fine with any exhaust just get them with the clamp on hangers so you can move them and be prepared to cut and modify as necessary. If the DP will clear your fire wall you should be fine. Never worked on a cummins that wasnt in a dodge but if your DP works the rest can be modified easy enough.
          Sorry for the late reply, does the 5" give more "bass" then the 4"? I run 3" duals on my BBC chevelle at just over 600 horse and it flows great from the headers and the sound has that deep bass you feel in your chest. I'd like the same from the J truck. The P pump 12V I have for it makes just over 800 ft lbs with bigger turbo, injectors and fuel plate however I will be bumping it up to around 1000 ft lbs. Obviously horsepower is way lower on a diesel, but I'm not building it for HP.
          '77 J truck.

Comment

• joe
            • Apr 28, 2000

Dsl's do like big exh pipes..."within reason." I'm no pro gaso or dsl wrench but 4" works really well with Ford and GM pickup truck dsl's. 3 inch also works just fine. Only reason I see for going 5" culvert pipe is the "wannabe trucker look".
            Catalog marketing hype only makes you go faster cause you're hauling less weight...lighter wallet.
            joe
            "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• HerrKooled
              258 I6
              • Aug 18, 2010

Makes sense, however I always see the wannabe trucker look as running stacks. I have people tell me to run stacks and I think they would be hideous on a J truck. I have a buddy who is running 3.5" exhaust on his 68 coronet at around 740 horse, and I actually don't like the sound but he says it flows as if no exhaust is on the car - same diameter as headers. I'll probably go with 4" but I'll have to hear a 4" and 5" cummins trucks sitting right next to each other to hear if there is a difference.
              '77 J truck.

Comment

• mcjeep80
                258 I6
                • Jul 07, 2008

i know it is a little different of an animal. my 04.5 cummins had a 4 in. strait pipe. a crappy weld broke and the front of the pipe hit the ground. i replaced it with a full 5" strait pipe set up. the new pipe is WAY louder than the 4". did it help with performance? highly doubt it. does it sound the way i want? yup. does it bother my nabors when i go to work at 4:30 am? yes sir! with that said that is a BIG pipe in what is probably a tight space to start with.
                '80 WT.cherokee-tbi454/4l80/241c
                welded rockwells/ PSC full hydro /3"body lift
                front soa on 3" springs/inboarded 63s rear
                42x15x16.5 TSLs on 8 bolt H-1s

'77 Honcho, 454/th400/div.205
                3" body lift/3" of aal
                35x12.5x16.5 thorn turds

DD/Tow rig, 2005 5.9 Cummins 3500 CC/LB

Comment

• Mudbull
                  232 I6
                  • Aug 11, 2011

Not sure if I have good pics, but w/ the firewall shaved theres tons of room for my 4" pipe on my truck. It is a fabbed downpipe, the aftermarket dodge ram dp doesn't is too sloped back and was hitting the footwell.

In the above pic is the 4" Ram DP...you need to get rid of that 'diagonal kink' and let it drop straight down till its below the floor. the cab is on the lift in this pic still ~3" off the frame so the space is decieving

New piping, flange from 4" Ram pipe.
                  I understand people not liking stacks, but I think I can make it work, running it through the bedside. I loved how the 4" into 6" stack sounded on my donor.
                  Last edited by Mudbull; 07-11-2013, 06:11 PM.
                  1968 Gladiator Thriftside
                  12v p-pump cummins
                  Nv5600/Nv241dhd, D60 front, D80 rear

Comment

• 1983 j10
                    327 Rambler
                    • Apr 13, 2008

You would probably be better off ordering something with around the same wheel base so your bends may end up in or around where you need them and may be able to make it fit with little mods maybe just move the hangers. And if you want 5" get it ill tell it will be loud my buddy had a 24v with straight 5" no muffler and when he passed a cop he had to shut his truck off because they would pull him over for noise
                    1983 j10 lwb soon to be a 4.5l stroker AMC 20 rear 44 front 4spd manual in the process of restoring

01 xj 3" and 31's

Comment

• mcjeep80
                      258 I6
                      • Jul 07, 2008

not many bends on a cummins exh. rollinsmokediesel.com has great prices. the kit i got was a down pipe, tail pipe. cat del. and like 6' of strait pipe. realy simple system
                      '80 WT.cherokee-tbi454/4l80/241c
                      welded rockwells/ PSC full hydro /3"body lift
                      front soa on 3" springs/inboarded 63s rear
                      42x15x16.5 TSLs on 8 bolt H-1s

'77 Honcho, 454/th400/div.205
                      3" body lift/3" of aal
                      35x12.5x16.5 thorn turds

DD/Tow rig, 2005 5.9 Cummins 3500 CC/LB

Comment

• HerrKooled
                        258 I6
                        • Aug 18, 2010

Mudbull looks great! Did you just set the Jeep on the Ram frame? I'm thinking of doing that. Could convert my truck into dually easily doing that as my doner is a 97 3500.
                        '77 J truck.

Comment

• Mudbull
                          232 I6
                          • Aug 11, 2011

Originally posted by HerrKooled
                          Mudbull looks great! Did you just set the Jeep on the Ram frame? I'm thinking of doing that. Could convert my truck into dually easily doing that as my doner is a 97 3500.
                          Thanks! My donor was a 96 ram 3500 dually. The owner had already removed the dually front spacers and rear wheels/fenders when I got it. The dually rear axle has bigger drum brakes (to my knowledge) but it is only a couple inches wider than a non-dually.

I got a donor frame that we shortened to 120" wheelbase (as opposed to the dually 154") Otherwise it is a stock ram frame that we dropped the Kaiser body onto (w/ ram mounts relocated of course)
                          1968 Gladiator Thriftside
                          12v p-pump cummins
                          Nv5600/Nv241dhd, D60 front, D80 rear

Comment

• Logs0012
                            258 I6
                            • Apr 02, 2008

If your truck is a passenger drop, you are going to have some clearance issues at the transfer case and crossmember. It was already a tight fit with a 4"
                            Thanks and Gig 'Em
                            Lincoln Tucker
                            Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2015

[email protected]

1970 J-2000, 4bt, NV4500, NP208 - Back on the road!

Coffee, Whiskey and Women... Always straight

Comment

Working...
                            X