• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KdkGrizz
    232 I6
    • Jul 18, 2014

A727 does anything else bolt up to 360

Hey everyone. I?m sure this has been asked before. But does any other transmission bolt up to the 82 AMC 360? A donar A727 is very hard to find these days.

I heard from someone i work with that a Chrysler TF727 out of a big block car has the same bolt pattern. But have not been able to confirm.

Thanks
    Kodi

82 WAGONEER It's a project
    360ci 727 and NP208

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese...
  • 440sixpack
    327 Rambler
    • Jul 21, 2016

A 727 is easy to find around here. but AMC used the TH400 for years as well.

Both must be for an AMC application of course.

Comment

• 72jeeperjoe
      232 I6
      • Nov 08, 2016

I haven?t been able to find a AMC 727 for the life of me, they are pretty easy to rebuild though. Rebuild kits are the same for the Chrysler 727 and Jeep 727.
      1983 Jeep Wagoneer-322,000 miles.
      1972 Jeep Wagoneer-360-auto-sold
      1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-One owner-64,000 original miles-Sold unfortunately
      1968 Jeep Gladiator, full Resto in progress
      1963 two door ifs one owner Wagoneer

Comment

• 80Limited
        232 I6
        • Feb 19, 2015

I?ve got one sitting in my garage not being used.

Comment

• KdkGrizz
          232 I6
          • Jul 18, 2014

I am looking for one that I can rebuild on the bench, while keeping my Waggy on the road until the rebuilt one is ready.
          Kodi

360ci 727 and NP208

Comment

• 80Limited
            232 I6
            • Feb 19, 2015

I pulled it to swap in an Aw4. No issues with it, the 219 was starting to pop a little.

Comment

• Wagoneerlover
              350 Buick
              • Jan 18, 2004

Originally posted by KdkGrizz
              I am looking for one that I can rebuild on the bench, while keeping my Waggy on the road until the rebuilt one is ready.

An Aw-4 will work if you want a four speed automatic computer controlled transmission. Swap the transmission and keep going. The Aw-4 is pretty stout and plentiful in the salvage yards, can be gotten inexpensively too. You can also get the transfer case that comes behind it (NP242) or you can use the 208/229 with an adapter plate.

Information can be found here on the forums or you can PM me or some of the other members who have done this swap. (Or start a thread on it if you like).
              88 Grand wagoneer AMC 360 all stock
              89 Grand Wagoneer AMC 360 (Deceased)

Upgrades

1. Electric Radiator Fan 10/15/11
              2. Cs-144 Alt 10/1/11

All completed long ago (cannot remember when)
              1. TBI
              2. New fuel tank
              3. AW-4 Transmission
              4. Aluminum condensor
              5. Custom Gauge Panel

Comment

• KdkGrizz
                232 I6
                • Jul 18, 2014

Very interesting. I am going to read up on this subject. I have been reading about adapting a GM 700R4. Since i have been driving the Waggy pretty much daily the 727's 3 speed turns about 2200rpms at 70mph, which translates to about 12mpg. And I am still using the stock 2:73 gears. Me thinks I might want a 4th gear.
                Kodi

360ci 727 and NP208

Comment

• joe
                  • Apr 28, 2000

Couple thoughts. If your guts are bad find a more common Chryco TF727 and put the guts into your AMC bolt pattern case. Either way both will have a 3rd(high) gear ratio of 1:1
                  70 mph in a 4500 lb aerodynamic barn and you're getting 12 mpg?...you won!
                  Best thing you can do for mpgs is keep it tuned to the n'th degree and reduce your hwy speeds to 60mph. Sure you can spend a fortune on tranny, EFI swaps and "maybe(?)" gain 2 mpgs at 70 but...it's still an old tech 4500 lb barn.These are old "hobby" cars and are what they are and live with it warts and all.
                  Sorry but if mpgs is a major concern to you, you bought the wrong car.
                  PS: if you're running a lift, that's also a mileage killer.
                  You'll go nuts and broke trying to bring a FSJ up to modern mpg standards unless you go dsl at major expense. If in good condition and tune, bet if you can limit you hwy speed to a smooth 60 mph you can sneak 14 mpgs out of her. Best of luck to ya.
                  joe
                  "Don't mind me. I'm just here for the alibi"

Comment

• SC/397
                    Administrator
                    • Feb 01, 2010

Originally posted by KdkGrizz
                    Hey everyone. I’m sure this has been asked before. But does any other transmission bolt up to the 82 AMC 360? A donar A727 is very hard to find these days.

I heard from someone i work with that a Chrysler TF727 out of a big block car has the same bolt pattern. But have not been able to confirm.

Thanks
                    I can confirm that your co-worker is wrong. An AMC engine has it's own bolt pattern not the same as anything else. A 727 trans will be easy to find if you are in Michigan. Check Craigslist, and I will ask my buddys near Toledo if they have anything.

Edit - I will PM you a phone number.
                    Last edited by SC/397; 10-31-2017, 12:11 PM.
                    The Squeaky Wheel gets replaced in my world

Comment

• KdkGrizz
                      232 I6
                      • Jul 18, 2014

Oh no don’t get me wrong. I know exactly what I have. It will never be able to even get the mpg of my full size truck towing our 6500lb camper through the mountains. But I was just throwing around the idea of a GM 700R4 swap in the future. If I do change the front and rear diff gears when the lockers go in I know the MPG’s will be in single digits. But to finish the bucket list I want to make the Waggy ready for next years Easter safari.
                      Last edited by KdkGrizz; 11-01-2017, 04:31 AM.
                      Kodi

360ci 727 and NP208

Comment

• Ristow
                        • Jan 20, 2006

didn't read all the reply's...but ONLY a TC727 will bolt up to a AMC. they have the AMC specific bell,and were called Torque Command,rather than torque flite.
                        Originally posted by Hankrod
                        Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                        ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
                        I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• tgreese
                          • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by joe
                          70 mph in a 4500 lb aerodynamic barn and you're getting 12 mpg?...you won!
                          This!

Wind resistance goes up like the square of velocity, so a 10% reduction in speed will net nearly double that in drag reduction. The air is a mighty barrier.
                          Tim Reese
                          Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
                          Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
                          Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
                          GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
                          ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

AMC cars through most of the 70s used the 727 instead of the TH400. Should be way easier to find a 727 than a 400.

Personally, though, I wouldn't lay a finger on either of those and would be aiming for the AW4 instead. It's plenty strong enough, WAY more plentiful (how many XJs are running around out there?), and has tons of aftermarket support.

There's even a post on here right now about an AW4 swap: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=183979

aa
                            Last edited by Cecil14; 11-02-2017, 01:07 PM.
                            1983 J-10 - 4.6L(MPFI)/CS130D/Hydroboost/NV3550/D300/44/44/3.54/Disc-Disc/32s/42 gallon 'burb tank

Comment

• Pillow
                              232 I6
                              • Jun 19, 2017

If you are near VA I have an AMC 727 for cheap. (motor swap and manual trans swap in progress)

Depends on your engine as to what RPMs are comfortable. IMO 1:1 is fine... Depending on your situation. If you plan to tow 1:1 is where it's at as you will not stay in OD long. The SM465 I am dropping in mine is 1:1 high gear and with 3.31 gears should be fine, and yes it will tow occasionally.

Good Luck!
                              1983 Cherokee Pioneer - in progress LS 5.3 w LS9 cam, NP208, & SM465
                              1968 J2000 Gladiator truck (organ donor for Cherokee & J2000)
                              1973 J4000 truck - potential Gambler 500 or farm beast.

Comment

Working...
                              X