• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redwings06
    232 I6
    • Feb 14, 2006

1982 Cherokee Headlight Question

Hey Guys,

Probably to dumb question, but my Cherokee has round holes in that look like they were meant for round headlights, but they sit behind the grill and to the inside of the currently square headlights. Can I use them to mount an additional pair of headlights? Also the driver side seems to have something mounted in this space, any ideas on what that may be. Thanks for the info!

• TestTeam
    232 I6
    • May 31, 2007

Originally posted by redwings06
    Hey Guys,

Also the driver side seems to have something mounted in this space, any ideas on what that may be. Thanks for the info!

should be the horns
    Grand Wagoneer 360V8 1984

Comment

• redwings06
      232 I6
      • Feb 14, 2006

That sounds easy enough to move, any idea if these were intended for headlights? I don't see any other reason for them...

Comment

Goes back to the original Rhino grille setup as far as I know, That would be where the "pie pans" were. I suspect they originally planned for optional driving lights and never got there with them.
        Art
        ASE Master Collision Tech
        "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• mdill
          Gone. Not Forgotten.
          • Nov 22, 2000

Rumor has it that there were/are some rigs (not many) with Jeep factory light sets in the pie-plate holes. Apparently it was not a popular option.

Originally posted by goldhammer
          Goes back to the original Rhino grille setup as far as I know, That would be where the "pie pans" were. I suspect they originally planned for optional driving lights and never got there with them.
          -----------------------------------------
          Home of ADHD project list

1977 J-10 Honcho 360-T15-D20
          1977 Cherokee WT 360-Th400-NP241 true-trac(s)
          1979 Cherokee 4 Door 258-T-18-D20
          1981 Cherokee Chief WT 360-727-NP208
          1972 K20 Suburban 350 SM465 205
          And the other stuff that gets driven
          ----------------------------------------

Comment

• redwings06
            232 I6
            • Feb 14, 2006

Interesting, thanks for the info. Might as well take advantage of it since it's there

Comment

• Tinkerjeep
              Banned
              • Mar 01, 2009

Any Kaiser M715/720 Military turck uses those holes for turn signals.

Currently I have driving lights mounted there on one truck, and air intakes on the other. Easy t do when you don't have all the extra stuff the later model Wags had mounted there.

Comment

• Zorm
                304 AMC
                • Apr 08, 1997

If I could find another muscle grill, my thought was to cut the grill in front of those areas (make it a round cut) and toss some KC lights in that area, just a thought though.
                83 Cherokee 4dr WT(axles) 4" lift, 351w, nv3550, NP208, installing soon

65 Corvair Corsa Convertible, 4 speed, 140 quad carb engine

71 F-250 Camper Special (in rewire stage)

HE guides my path, forgives me when I stray and lights my life.

Comment

• redwings06
                  232 I6
                  • Feb 14, 2006

Thanks for the responses guys, I think the lights are a good idea just now sure if I'm ready to cut the grill. I think I will mount some lights and see how they look and go from there.

Comment

• serehill
                    Gone,Never Forgotten.
                    • Nov 22, 2009

do a Rhino

I know this has come up before, but couldn't find a clear answer. Has anyone successfully installed smaller headlights in the inner holes, and what make and model did the parts (headlamp buckets and trim rings) come from?

80 Cherokee
                    360 ci 727 with
                    Comp cams 270 h
                    NP208
                    Edlebrock performer intake
                    Holley 4180
                    Msd total multi spark.
                    4" rusty's springs
                    Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• redwings06
                      232 I6
                      • Feb 14, 2006

Serehill, love it. Your jeep looks awesome. Mind if I ask where you bought, and how easy/difficult was the install?

Comment

• serehill
                        Gone,Never Forgotten.
                        • Nov 22, 2009

That set up is easy

I bought some 4" lights & with brackets went to the hardware store & bought some 90 degree brackets & mounted them & had a guy build the plates. MIB in the home grown section makes the plates & has several choices of finish. You can also find early model Mid 60's head light on cars with quad headlight & bolt them in. I make a custom harness for that. They look like the ones in the link right below my picture. I have also put KC day lighters in the hole that work OK with a little trimming. You can also put early 90's Camaro square headlight in there too with a little work. Lots of choices. I have a friend with a J10 that has some 9 " ones in the pie plate hole & they are awesome.

Bought my light at auto zone.
                        Mine are like these but blue.

These are like the ones in the link you can find trims for them but they are rare. Buy 4 sell 2 lots of interest.
                        Last edited by serehill; 07-16-2014, 03:16 PM.

80 Cherokee
                        360 ci 727 with
                        Comp cams 270 h
                        NP208
                        Edlebrock performer intake
                        Holley 4180
                        Msd total multi spark.
                        4" rusty's springs
                        Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

Now starting to get LED's in smaller sizes, and maybe some of the round ATV/Quad versions might work, depending on output.
                          Art
                          ASE Master Collision Tech
                          "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• eaglejeeper
                            232 I6
                            • Nov 02, 2008

AMC JEEPS do not change much

From an old Jeeper, AMC did not change hardly anything on their Jeep
                            line since the got Jeep in 1970. This stamped piece, I believe, is the same
                            in 1970 as it was the last year of 1988. AMC just did not have the money
                            to make a lot of changes and that is why pretty much all J10s and Cherokees
                            look the same from 1970's to 1980's. This inner sheet metal member you are discussing, has the original round openings for the early J10s/Cherokees with round headlites and grilles. I believe if you compare the parts breakdown of a 1974 and a 1984 you will see this piece is the same. AMC was a poor company and just did not have the money and that is why JEEP stands for:
                            Just
                            Everyone
                            Elses
                            Parts

Comment

• redwings06
                              232 I6
                              • Feb 14, 2006

Thanks for the links, definitely some possibilities, I don't mind doing a little fabricating. LEDs would be nice too. Did your rhino grill come like that, and how hard was that install did it just bolt on? Also who did you buy from?

Originally posted by serehill
                              I bought some 4" lights & with brackets went to the hardware store & bought some 90 degree brackets & mounted them & had a guy build the plates. MIB in the home grown section makes the plates & has several choices of finish. You can also find early model Mid 60's head light on cars with quad headlight & bolt them in. I make a custom harness for that. They look like the ones in the link right below my picture. I have also put KC day lighters in the hole that work OK with a little trimming. You can also put early 90's Camaro square headlight in there too with a little work. Lots of choices. I have a friend with a J10 that has some 9 " ones in the pie plate hole & they are awesome.

Bought my light at auto zone.
                              Mine are like these but blue.

These are like the ones in the link you can find trims for them but they are rare. Buy 4 sell 2 lots of interest.
                              http://www.ebay.com/itm/58-60-65-72-...8a4076&vxp=mtr

Comment

Working...
                              X