• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • j20brett
    360 AMC
    • Jul 05, 2006

Shortened the Wheel Base today...

Its Short!

Ended up moving the hangers 18 inches forward. A total of 24 inches of frame removed behind the hangers. That bed was way heavy. Flatbed and new driveshafts next. Took 2 of us 12 hours to get it done!

Kaiser - 1981 J20 115" WB - 5.3l/4l60E/np241c/3-link hp60 spooled/Leafs 14-bolt detroit/5.13's/40's

Build Thread

Fight Crime...Shoot Back.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • Dmntxn77
    Hey watch this...
    • Nov 19, 2004

Looks good...

Why didnt you go ahead and mount those springs under the frame while you were at it?

Comment

• j20brett
      360 AMC
      • Jul 05, 2006

Would have been too much lift for now. Need to be SOA in the front to inboard the springs. Dont have the $$ for highsteer yet
      Kaiser - 1981 J20 115" WB - 5.3l/4l60E/np241c/3-link hp60 spooled/Leafs 14-bolt detroit/5.13's/40's

Build Thread

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• Dmntxn77
        Hey watch this...
        • Nov 19, 2004

How much lift you running in the front?

If those are 4" springs, I am sure that you could inboard the springs, ditch the blocks, and add a longer shackle to the front to make up some of the difference. That would only leave you an inch or so higher in the rear which I wouldnt think would be a big deal. The advantages of an under frame mounted, shackle flipped rear would make it worth it...

Comment

• j20brett
          360 AMC
          • Jul 05, 2006

Its only 2 inch springs in the front. Rancho 44044's. And i do plan on getting rid of the blocks back there now. Had to have them with these worn out waggy springs. Should set it close to just right w/o the blocks in.

Build Thread

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• Dmntxn77
            Hey watch this...
            • Nov 19, 2004

Ahhh, I see...

The rear would possibly end up quite a bit higher with only 2" springs up front.

Still though, I bet that if you added a longer shackle to the front, and designed the rear spring mounts to be as close to the frame as possible and make the new rear perches to sit as close to the tube as possible, you could make it work out well...

BTW, Im not trying to cut down your work, because it looks like you are doing a great job... Im just throwing out ideas...

Also, I dont know how well they would work with 2" springs, but I have a set of 4 AAL's that I will be selling soon if you need a touch more spring lift...

Comment

• glady8r
              Banned
              • Dec 31, 2007

nice whats the wheelbase now I was thinking of doing this to my gladiator

Comment

• j20brett
                360 AMC
                • Jul 05, 2006

I appreciate the advince. But its set for now. Been working on it for 12 hours today. I think itll settle in fine once i add the flat bed and back half cage eventually. Heck i need to take a few leaves out of the front springs to get them to flex a bit more. Thanks for the offer

Build Thread

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• j20brett
                  360 AMC
                  • Jul 05, 2006

Originally posted by glady8r
                  nice whats the wheelbase now I was thinking of doing this to my gladiator
                  131-18=113"

Build Thread

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• Dmntxn77
                    Hey watch this...
                    • Nov 19, 2004

Originally posted by j20brett
                    I appreciate the advince. But its set for now. Been working on it for 12 hours today. I think itll settle in fine once i add the flat bed and back half cage eventually. Heck i need to take a few leaves out of the front springs to get them to flex a bit more. Thanks for the offer

Comment

• Lindel
                      Perfesser of Jeepology
                      • Jun 15, 2000

Nice work Brett!
                      Jeep Grounds
                      RRV Homepage
                      Texas Full Size Jeep Association
                      1987 Grand Wagoneer
                      AMC 360/TF727/NP229
                      1999 Wrangler Sport
                      4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• fulsizjeep
                        Señor Jackhead
                        • Aug 21, 2002

Nice transformation! Giterdun!
                        Flint
                        Ran when parked.
                        http://jubileejeeps.org/quadratrac
                        88 GW, 401/727/208, 5" lift, D44s/4.10s/locked up, 35s with a few Evil Twin & TT's Fabworks mods
                        76 401 Wag, 77 401 Wag, 77 401 J20
                        http://eviltwinfab.com http://www.ttsfabworks.com

Comment

• Gambler68
                          Rabble Rouser
                          • Feb 29, 2004

I think it looks badass and I hear ya, do what ya can when ya can. Least you're gitternherdun

ps you suck for having a HOIST and that SHOP to work in. Suck.
                          1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
                          1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
                          The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
                          Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

• j20brett
                            360 AMC
                            • Jul 05, 2006

Haha thanks for the comments. Just got home from school where ive been working on this. Got the rear crossmember/bumper dont and the gas tank relocated behind the axle. Built the tank skid/support out of 1/4" plate and weighs about 80#s! But should support the weight of the truck if it lands on a rock. Only hangs 2 in below the frame rails. Forgot my camera so pics at soe point this week.

Build Thread

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Comment

• 4x4fEvEr
                              350 Buick
                              • May 25, 2005

Originally posted by j20brett
                              Heck i need to take a few leaves out of the front springs to get them to flex a bit more.
                              I seriously wouldn't do that. Three rides on my ranchos and they were bent and broken in half. If you search the 4404s'4 there's a lot of em breaking. Be sure to put something on the frame behind the shackle so they won't fould up the shackle
                              77 cherokee chief 360/435/205-60/60-42's

Comment

Working...
                              X