• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yagan
    258 I6
    • Aug 06, 2005

Originally posted by Resbum
    In regards to a lot of energy, probably not. I might lose some, but I don't think so.

Bare with me for a moment here. This may seem off-topic, but it's not and I do get back around to your comment.

A little info about automotive history in the USA. Ten years before you could buy a turbocharged 2002 Subaru WRX in the US it was available, and very successful, around the rest of the world. Even then, the one we got in the States was underpowered compared to the ones around the rest of the world. Another example is the old Toyota Pickup and 4Runner. Anywhere else on Earth a person could buy one that came with a turbo diesel engine, even in Canada. Those engines never did make it to the US. These are just two examples, but ones I have personal experience with.

Why did these two cases happen? Because the US government makes our DOT and environmental laws so overly complex and expensive that it's not profitable to the automakers to jump through all the hoops to import those engines here.

Now my personal experience. I bought a 1999 Subaru Impreza RS and turbocharged it. When I was finally happy with how it ran it launched so hard it would got through first gear so fast that I'd bang the engine off the rev-limiter before I could shift to second gear. For those that don't know, Subaru uses flat-four engines like the old VW Bugs and Porsches. Because of this design it's almost impossible to have somewhat short, equal-length exhaust runners. In this case the shortest was around 1 1/2 feet and the longest was over 4 feet.

While I was building and refining this engine the one thing I did that had the biggest single affect on engine performance was change exhaust runner diameter. I bought an aftermarket header that had 1/4" bigger runners. That header introduced a very considerable lag in turbo response and I took it back off and sold it to a guy running normally aspirated. He absolutely loved it, but it sucked @$$ on a forced induction engine. Why? Because the larger diameter tubes slowed down the gas velocity. I ened up running the stock Subaru exhaust wrapped.

Here is a must read for anyone who likes to gain knowledge through reading. Corky Bell's book, "Maximum Boost". http://www.amazon.com/Maximum-Boost-.../dp/0837601606
    It's an incredible resource about turbocharging.

The four things I took from it about spool up while building the Subaru is heat, velocity, compressor blade selection, and flow restriction. Match those and you're in the ballpark.

For my truck:
    Heat- The hotter a gas the more volume a given amount will occupy. My extension is going to be ceramic coated and wrapped and I'll have very little heat loss through it. This is also why I had the Cummins manifold ceramic coated.
    Velocity- It's the product of heat and volume. Because I won't lose much heat that won't affect velocity. The outlet of the manifold and inlet of the turbo both have two port-matched rectangles. I chose round tubes that have a very similiar cross-sectional area to those rectangles, so I shouldn't lose velocity going through larger volume tubes.
    Compressor blade design- Both the BD Super B turbo and Colt cam I chose have quicker spool up over stock. Even if I have some loss through the turbo relocator the turbo and cam will probably make up the difference.
    Flow restriction- My original plan had the gasses making two tight turns in opposite directions. That is more disruptive to flow than having the gasses make a longer, more gradual, 360 degree loop.

With all of that long-winded typing behind me I can say I don't really expect the turbo relocator will have much adverse affect on performance. If it does I'll just have to live with it since there's no way I can run a turbo without it.

Resbum
    [FONT='MS Shell Dlg 2','sans-serif']Hey Resbum. [/FONT]
    [FONT='MS Shell Dlg 2','sans-serif']1. I love your deisel build. What an inspiration! [/FONT]
    [FONT='MS Shell Dlg 2','sans-serif'] 2. I love the brief rundown on US automotive history and turbo/ diesel engine constraining by departmental regulation. [/FONT]
    [FONT='MS Shell Dlg 2','sans-serif'][/FONT]
    [FONT='MS Shell Dlg 2','sans-serif']Here in Aus we have been lucky. We have been able to obtain all the models you speak of and more in turbo diesel. Now the market here is at an advanced stage for TD engines. DOHC 4 Valve/ cyl heads, high pressure CRD, VGT?s and intercooling is now just par for the course?[/FONT]
    [FONT='MS Shell Dlg 2','sans-serif'][FONT='MS Shell Dlg 2','sans-serif'][/FONT]
    [FONT='MS Shell Dlg 2','sans-serif']My 010 D90 has all of that crammed into the remainder of its archaic design. A small displacement Ford diesel. It is truly a miraculous engine and along with the six speed box - the highlight of the car! [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[FONT='MS Shell Dlg 2','sans-serif'] [/FONT]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Velocity- It's the product of heat and volume[/FONT][FONT='MS Shell Dlg 2','sans-serif'] ? Not exactly. Indirectly - definitetly. With higher temps you have higher operating pressures in your system correct? Are you expecting this to increase velocity?[/FONT]
    Baby Blue - 81 Cherokee S 4 dr
    Twin Trans Coolers no longer in radiator flow path
    Baked Copper Coated B&M Deep Trans Pan
    Custom Cooler ducting and braided lines
    79 American Racing Cast Alloy rims
    Monroe Air, Rear Reece Hitch, Front Hidden Reece Hitch,Dual Batts, re-con?d Alt, Front Bench Seat
    My rig is ubber hot, my FSJ is a chick magnet

Comment

• Yagan
      258 I6
      • Aug 06, 2005

that'll teach me for cut and pasting from my email software to try to act like I can spell properly!
      Monroe Air, Rear Reece Hitch, Front Hidden Reece Hitch,Dual Batts, re-con?d Alt, Front Bench Seat

Comment

• Yagan
        258 I6
        • Aug 06, 2005

Hey Resbum - this is what i was trying to post..

1. I love your deisel build. What an inspiration!
        2. I love the brief rundown on US automotive history and turbo/ diesel engine constraining by departmental regulation.

Here in Aus we have been lucky. We have been able to obtain all the models you speak of and more in turbo diesel. Now the market here is at an advanced stage for TD engines. DOHC 4 Valve/ cyl heads, high pressure CRD, VGT?s and intercooling is now just par for the course

My 010 D90 has all of that crammed into the remainder of its archaic design. A small displacement Ford diesel. It is truly a miraculous engine and along with the six speed box - the highlight of the car!

Velocity- It's the product of heat and volume. Not exactly. Indirectly - definitetly.

With higher temps you have higher operating pressures in your system correct? Are you expecting this to increase velocity?

Comment

• Resbum
          327 Rambler
          • Jun 16, 2010

Originally posted by Yagan
          that'll teach me for cut and pasting from my email software to try to act like I can spell properly!
          You're not alone. I've had to redo many posts because of the dreaded "Font" scripts.
          Last edited by Resbum; 09-27-2012, 04:24 PM.
          "What year is my truck?... Which part?" Build thread- http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/view...p=18290#p18290

Comment

• Resbum
            327 Rambler
            • Jun 16, 2010

Originally posted by Yagan
            Hey Resbum...

...Here in Aus we have been lucky. We have been able to obtain all the models you speak of and more in turbo diesel...
            ...is now just par for the course

My 010 D90...

Velocity- It's the product of heat and volume. Not exactly. Indirectly - definitetly.

With higher temps you have higher operating pressures in your system correct? Are you expecting this to increase velocity?
            Hi Yagan. Thanks.

I've had several opportunities to visit your country. I'm jealous of some of the things you guys get that we don't.

Yeah, I know I offered a very simplistic definition of velocity. For the sake of everyone reading I try to keep my already long-winded posts as short as possible.

I don't expect any increase in velocity. Everything I've done has been to hopefully mitigate any loses through the extra 14" of plumbing the turbo relocator adds to the exhaust path before reaching the turbo.

Hoping for the best. Resbum
            Last edited by Resbum; 09-27-2012, 04:53 PM.
            "What year is my truck?... Which part?" Build thread- http://www.fsjnetwork.com/forum/view...p=18290#p18290

Comment

• Resbum
              327 Rambler
              • Jun 16, 2010

After seriously weighing the risks vs. rewards I decided to go ahead and wrap the turbo relocator. Ultimately, I decided to do it for heat management in the engine compartment. I've never had some of the problems others have had with wraps, so knock on wood I don't have a situation like Ross80truck wrote about.

Tomorrow I'll work on the support for the turbo end flange

Comment

• Resbum
                327 Rambler
                • Jun 16, 2010

Today I worked on something else, also.

The other day when I thought about how I could have flipped the intercooler over it made me take a serious look at clearances. I realized that I could move the inlet and outlet up a few inches, which would allow me to clear the bottom of the pillars and run full diameter 3 1/2" pipes. So after some cutting, relocating, welding, and painting I ended up with this.

Thanks again to Turbo Technologies for more welding.

I also didn't like how restrictive the stock inlet and outlet were

Comment

• Resbum
                  327 Rambler
                  • Jun 16, 2010

I'll eventually fill the bottom of the sheetmetal back in, which will put some of the original strength back.

Comment

• Mikel
                    • Aug 09, 2000

Very nice surgery on the intercooler. I never liked that necking.
                    1969 M715 6x6
                    1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• Resbum
                      327 Rambler
                      • Jun 16, 2010

Me either. It just took awhile for my pea brain to see a simple solution.

Comment

• Resbum
                        327 Rambler
                        • Jun 16, 2010

Before and after relocating the intercooler pipes. By moving them up 3" and making them 2" shorter it gave 4 more inches of clearance from the tires. Before I'm pretty sure there wouldn't have been any contact, now I know there won't be any contact.

Comment

• Resbum
                          327 Rambler
                          • Jun 16, 2010

I also made some progress on the turbo support. It should be finished tomorrow.

Comment

• Resbum
                            327 Rambler
                            • Jun 16, 2010

Finished the turbo support last night and painted it. This morning I assembled and installed it. It turned out pretty good and stout. There's more room around the oil filter then appears in the pics, but I'll probably relocate it after the break-in run.

Comment

• Resbum
                              327 Rambler
                              • Jun 16, 2010

I reached another major milestone today. I FINALLY installed all the turbo system pieces for a test fit. Everything came out perfect. I still need to do some fine tuning, minor fitment things, and double quadruple check everything on the engine, but as of this morning the major engine fabrication is complete.

Comment

• tndonor
                                258 I6
                                • Apr 05, 2006

Looking great! I like the intercooler mod!!!
                                1980 J10 4BTA (p pumped) NV4500, d300, np205. Dana 60s Sold and parted out
                                1967 M715 Cummins 6B p7100
                                HX35/HT3B compound turbos. NV4500. 203/205 Doubler. 14B FF 4.56 Detroit/ HP60 4.56 OX

Comment

Working...
                                X