X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Overdriven
    232 I6
    • Jun 11, 2011

Someone please enlighten me. This is my first experience with the manual crank. I'm not going to assume I have the stock handle or the stock gear that connects it to the regulator.

The handle looks to have threads3/4 through it that are stripped out. There are about 1/2 inch worth of threads still in the very bottom of the female end of the crank.

The gear that connects it to the regulator does not protrude through the tailgate. Yet if I put the handle in place and push hard enough the treads engage and it moves the window.

Is my problem the crank handle being one of the newer/cheaper or the gear being the wrong size? I want to make sure I'm chasing the correct demon here.

The metal sleeve that has a rubber strip in it at the base of the window is rotted in half. I'm sure this allowed extra binding to break what threads were in the rest of the crank handle. I know I need to replace it.

Thanks.
    87 Grand Wagoneer "Bullseye", 360, Auto, All stock, Dayton OH.

Comment

• Overdriven
      232 I6
      • Jun 11, 2011

Originally posted by Tad
      This may or may not work for you.
      Depends on where and how bad the teeth are stripped.
      http://www.ttsfabworks.com/tech/mantgaterepair.JPG
      Awesome writeup. I'll keep this one for later if needed.
      87 Grand Wagoneer "Bullseye", 360, Auto, All stock, Dayton OH.

Comment

• Tinkerjeep
        Banned
        • Mar 01, 2009

I believe the window/door handle splines on the regulaters (doors) are the same spline count. Dissassemble a door reg and replace the shaft in the rear Tailgate mechanism...sound stupid or plausible?

Comment

Working...
        X