• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spyoung
    230 Tornado
    • Jul 01, 2012

Tailgate window crank

I recently purchased a 79 Chief. The previous owner had started to restore and decided to sell. one of my first jobs is getting the tailgate back in order. I installed a new mechanism for the window, hand crank. As I was installing the hand crank, it fell apart. Checking on Bj's website, they say they done sell that style anymore. Does anyone know of one that is good and can be purchased? or should I look into fabricating one?
    Thanks
  • Tinkerjeep
    Banned
    • Mar 01, 2009

not so much.

Maybe buy the electric motor and actuator from a member here and remove the in-tailgate-switch...they usually grenade internally and all the contacts ...DON'T contact anymore. Then run the wires from the gate-glass-motor to the dash switch...its a bit inconvenient (or you could wire in an aftermarket switch in the gate) but then the tailgate glass actually works.

Comment

• spyoung
      230 Tornado
      • Jul 01, 2012

The tailgate came to me gutted. The P.O. sent a kit for a hand crank. It was at one time an electric motor, the switch is still in the dash. I installed the mechanism for the window this morning, the hand crank mechanism. The problem was when I was installing the crank handle it fubared on me. I was thinking I could use a 12Pt. Socket and just do it manuel for now. I havent found a socket to fit it though .

Comment

I found a manual crank set up (early FSJ wagoneer) in a picknpull in Arlington, WA but didn't have time or $$ to pull it (the sun had fried my brain. I was taking Altazzo tail lights from a Mustang convertible to put in my Eagle wagon and an HEI dist)
        Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental.

Comment

• Tinkerjeep
          Banned
          • Mar 01, 2009

Originally posted by spyoung
          The tailgate came to me gutted. The P.O. sent a kit for a hand crank. It was at one time an electric motor, the switch is still in the dash. I installed the mechanism for the window this morning, the hand crank mechanism. The problem was when I was installing the crank handle it fubared on me. I was thinking I could use a 12Pt. Socket and just do it manuel for now. I havent found a socket to fit it though .
          Mm-kay...I'm back. I looked at the TSM and the window actuation assembly is basically similar. but there is a side plate attached for the motor drive. and on the hand crank there is a small addition at the top that houses the gears for that.

Long story short... unless you have all the right parts for either you got nothing to work with. I do have a motor...and a couple dash switches but may not have the wiring harness intact to run the motor.

On another note: the splines and shaft are exactly the same as the door window crank stub. You can cut down a door latch handle or window crank handle and "fab" your own...but you will run into a clearance issue between the "new" lever arm and the vertical ridge in the tailgate.

I'm looking for some hardware for my daughters 76 Wag tailgate hand-crank. missing base-plate and knob from the lever/arm.

Comment

• itselliot
            350 Buick
            • Aug 28, 2010

tailgate

I have the mechanism (electric) complete. salvaged from a tailgate I bought just for the glass. Not sure any longer what it came from, best guess would be a late 70's cherokee chief.
            Pm your location and for details .
            If the PM's are full,...try e mail!
            [email protected]
            616 four 03 44 0 five
            '78 J-20 401 Q/T not quite stock anymore....Frame off Resto Mod..Super Cab nearing completion. SOMEDAY
            "90 GW 360/727/229/3:31s 2" lift (SOLD in 2015)
            '78 CJ7 Built from Scratch over a 7 year span.

Comment

• Tinkerjeep
              Banned
              • Mar 01, 2009

Originally posted by itselliot
              I have the mechanism (electric) complete. salvaged from a tailgate I bought just for the glass. Not sure any longer what it came from, best guess would be a late 70's cherokee chief.
              Pm your location and for details .
              Hah! I thought you were talking to me. forgive the PM I sent.

Comment

• spyoung
                230 Tornado
                • Jul 01, 2012

Today I got back to work on the window crank problem. After rebuilding the carb, fixing the exhaust leaks, the stupid gas tank rock guard, and more stuff im sure.

So heres what a did, why it worked and why it didnt.
                I welded two 1/2" nuts together they slide over the spine shaft almost snug. I then ground down the welds so a 3/4" socket fit. When the double nuts slide over the spline, it leaves about 1/2" gap from the face to the end of the shaft. I welded it in and Whalla! window comes down and goes up.....almost all the way. For some reason the teeth on the drive gears are slipping! Teeth are broken off!
                Upon further reasearch on this site I find that the spacers that were used for the electric window drive are not to be used for the manual....Some how some way this must have put the gears in a bind. Tomorrow I am going to see if I can disassemble the gears and turn them around to get good teeth to the drive gear and re install without the spacers. This discovery would explain why the hand crank was wearing out in the first half of the teeth, like I couldnt get the crank into the spline far enough.

Comment

• threepiece
                  350 Buick
                  • Sep 17, 2005

For those of you who have stripped crank handles you might want to keep them, particularly if they are in otherwise good condition. I have figured a way to repair these (the drive spline portion) to better than new condition. I probably won't be working on this process anytime soon however.
                  FSJ Hybrid build thread: http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=43332
                  We are Borg, but we don't know it yet.
                  We are being assimilated but we don't know it yet.
                  Resistance is not futile yet.
                  Are you and your children connected yet?

Comment

• Overdriven
                    232 I6
                    • Jun 11, 2011

Originally posted by threepiece188
                    For those of you who have stripped crank handles you might want to keep them, particularly if they are in otherwise good condition. I have figured a way to repair these (the drive spline portion) to better than new condition. I probably won't be working on this process anytime soon however.
                    I'm curious how you figured out how to repair the rear crank window gears. I just bought an 83 Cherokee and I really want to keep the manual handle.

Your in box is full. I tried to PM you.
                    Thanks
                    Tyson.
                    87 Grand Wagoneer "Bullseye", 360, Auto, All stock, Dayton OH.

Comment

• Tad
                      • Nov 30, 2001

This may or may not work for you.
                      Depends on where and how bad the teeth are stripped.
                      2000 Infinity QX4, 3.3L, MPFI, 4 speed auto, 2 speed Nissan tcase, Unibody, IFS front, 4 link rear solid axle with 255-70/16s

IFSJA WMS PROJECT
                      EARLY WAG LIFT SEARCH

...Pay no attention to these heathen barbarians with their cutting torches and 8" lift kits!...
                      Self Inflicted Flesh Wound

Comment

• svining
                        350 Buick
                        • May 16, 2011

I have a brand new Manual type

I read BJ's explanation of why they don't carry the manual style anymore. I bought one from Team Grand. I never used it because my motorized system only had a broken wire and now works fine.

I'm curious how you modify the kit so if I ever need to use it, i can with reasonable confidence. Pictures are great. I did hear before that the shaft didn't extend into the gears far enough and to delete the spacers used on the motorized version.

I've stockpiled switches and motors etc to last me awhile. If anyone needs a new manual type I would be willing to sell it. Chrome is nice quality.

Originally posted by Tad
                        This may or may not work for you.
                        Depends on where and how bad the teeth are stripped.
                        http://www.ttsfabworks.com/tech/mantgaterepair.JPG
                        Flashlight
                        "I started with nothing, I still got most of it left"
                        1982 GW,Stock, No Emissions Equip.
                        Mallory HEI, AMC 360, Motorcraft 2150

Comment

• FSJunkie
                          The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
                          • Jan 09, 2011

The early style cranks with the Jeep logo in the middle are nearly impossible to find. My original stripped out its splines.

The later smooth style tend to come apart. The handle seperates from the "bearing" I guess you could say that screws to the tailgate sheet metal. I solved this by grooving the retaining collar and installing a snap ring.

I still try not to use the tailgate window.
                          '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• Overdriven
                            232 I6
                            • Jun 11, 2011

Originally posted by svining
                            I've stockpiled switches and motors etc to last me awhile. If anyone needs a new manual type I would be willing to sell it. Chrome is nice quality.
                            I tore into the tailgate today to find that the regulator and arms are in perfect shape. So is the splines on the gear that connects the exterior crank to the regulator. The two things that are bad are the crank handle itself (all the splines are stripped out of it) and the metal strip that connects the glass to the regulator. it's rotted in half which allows the window to bind up.

The window strip and seal can be had from BJ's. Need to replace the window crank handle though. How much you want for it?
                            87 Grand Wagoneer "Bullseye", 360, Auto, All stock, Dayton OH.

Comment

• Mr Carts
                              258 I6
                              • Aug 22, 2011

I got one from BJs last year and the handle came off. I also could not get the lock to seat into the handle.
                              1980 Cherokee WT 360 TFI Contour Fan 727 208
                              3.31 285/75X16 Duratrac's E rated

Comment

Working...
                              X