• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vintagetrks
    304 AMC
    • May 01, 2009

Cherokee Blues

A few months back I got a solid straight Cherokee that I thought was gonna be a fairly simple project. Man was I wrong.
    Today I finally got around to getting the new fuel pump in and firing it up. Now I'm getting pretty happy she fired right up and sounded good. Look in the radiator no fluid get the hose throw some water in it (just til I can see how well it runs) then smoke starts to rise out of the right hand side of the engine bay don't know where it's comming from. Then water starts shooting out of the freeze plug by #1 cylinder. So I say F it while it's still running and try to see if I have any forward gears in the cherk so I throw it in drive nothing 2nd nothing 1st nothing reverse nothing.
    Turn the key off disgusted and go back in the house. I'm in way over my head with this thing I'm fairly sure that it's gonna be some pretty serious money and effort to get this rig in any kind of respectable state. So now I've gotta decide weather to sell it as a parts rig or send it to the scrap yard hate to scrap it cause the body is rust free and all in all it's pretty solid. I just don't know if I wanna spend the next year or two trying to get this thing running. The jeep gods are not being kind to me. Decisions Decisions.
    New Full Size Jeep Nut

I'm just a washed up old has been, Army guy.
    My opinions are outdated... After all, what have I done lately? I used to be somebody "A SOLDIER!"

04 Jeep Wrangler "Lil Ninja" 32's 2in lift swaybar disconnects
    90 Grand Wagoneer "Big Mama"
  • rockin wagoneer
    232 I6
    • Jan 01, 2010

dude that sucks so much im srry for u man i really am i know how much that sucks.
    love it,live it,be it JEEP!!!!

79 cherokee- dd on 36s

78 wagoneer-rebuilding

Comment

• Austin 4x4
      350 Buick
      • Jul 28, 2009

Sorry to hear that, man that sucks. but on the bright side you have a solid rust free body. that is by far the haredest and most exspensive and time consuming part of any project. my advise, if you don't feel comftorabal doing the work, is to start looking for a good doner drivetrain. keep your head up its just part of the FSJ fun!
      '73 J4000 4 door longbed http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=120147

'85 Wagoneer

YES i WILL be in ouray in 2013!

Comment

• vintagetrks
        304 AMC
        • May 01, 2009

It sucks bad cause I really like Cherokees and had high hopes for this one but I now realize I lack the know how to fix all the stuff that needs fixing on this rig. I'm starting to think I should sell it to someone who has the time and knowhow to fix it up. The good thing is I only paid $400.00 for the rig so I can get at least $300.00 for it if I end up sending it to the scrap yard.
        New Full Size Jeep Nut

My opinions are outdated... After all, what have I done lately? I used to be somebody "A SOLDIER!"

Comment

• rockin wagoneer
          232 I6
          • Jan 01, 2010

i would sell it or part it out and also did u check the tranny fluid cause it might b low i had the prob b4

79 cherokee- dd on 36s

78 wagoneer-rebuilding

Comment

• vintagetrks
            304 AMC
            • May 01, 2009

yep checked the tranny fluid it's full. If I was gonna do anything as far as drive train and engine go I think I would convert to a CHEVY drive train. I am so bummed right now I feel like taking my shot gun out there and putting that rig out of it's missery.
            New Full Size Jeep Nut

Comment

• jsinajeep
              304 AMC
              • Nov 26, 2005

I still have a nice 76 chero w/401.
              http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/h...eep%20Trailer/

Comment

• mrtazwrench
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Nov 10, 2001

Does it have a low-range? was the T-case maybe in nutural? I would expect not, but have seen it before.
                Chad
                "Let's see that Red Blue Green **** sucker build one of these without duct taping it together!"
                https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3&l=76427b95fd
                88Wag
                87J20 Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association
                83Cherokee WT
                82J20
                Parts vehicles: 1.5 Wags, 3.5 J20's, 1 J10 1 J300

Comment

• vintagetrks
                  304 AMC
                  • May 01, 2009

Originally posted by jsinajeep
                  I still have a nice 76 chero w/401.
                  I would still love to buy it. I'm just cash poor right now had to sell off a bunch of stuff to buy a new house and it left me pretty broke for the time being. I would love to have that Cherk of yours. Is there a way we could work out some type of arrangement?
                  New Full Size Jeep Nut

Comment

• vintagetrks
                    304 AMC
                    • May 01, 2009

Originally posted by mrtazwrench
                    Does it have a low-range? was the T-case maybe in nutural? I would expect not, but have seen it before.
                    Yep it's got a low range and I made sure it was'nt in neutral. I almost forgot about it though. I have an extra partime TC with hubs that I was gonna throw in it but I think I'll just sell that TC and hubs to help fund the purchase of a running Cherokee.
                    New Full Size Jeep Nut

Comment

• rockin wagoneer
                      232 I6
                      • Jan 01, 2010

well all i can say is good luck to ya then.

79 cherokee- dd on 36s

78 wagoneer-rebuilding

Comment

• vintagetrks
                        304 AMC
                        • May 01, 2009

Originally posted by rockin wagoneer
                        well all i can say is good luck to ya then.
                        Thanks man I'm a little better after blowing off some steam here. I'll probably just look for a running Cherokee and use this one as a parts rig. as it still has alot of good parts on it that would work well on another Cherk. Heck I even have a shiny new razor grill and an HEI ignition I was gonna put on it.
                        New Full Size Jeep Nut

Comment

• rockin wagoneer
                          232 I6
                          • Jan 01, 2010

ya i would keep it for parts like you said i mean i had 2 part trucks and everything else so ya but good luck man let us know if u get one and share pics lol.

79 cherokee- dd on 36s

78 wagoneer-rebuilding

Comment

• vintagetrks
                            304 AMC
                            • May 01, 2009

Will do. Theres a fellow in Globe Az that has one I might be able to get. I've got my fingers crossed that he still has it when I get up some $$$ soon.
                            New Full Size Jeep Nut

Comment

• Gambler68
                              Rabble Rouser
                              • Feb 29, 2004

Don't give up yet. Freeze plug kit is 12 bux. Th400 problems can quickly be diagnosed, only a handful of ways they can fail. Other than that, nothing wrong with ditching it to someone else to deal with, or parting out. Plenty of Chero WTs out there.
                              1979 Chero S "Sundog" 1979 Chero S "Hammer"
                              1968 327 J3000 1978 J10SWB
                              The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
                              Hunter S. Thompson .

Comment

Working...
                              X