• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 88GW
    258 I6
    • Nov 21, 2000

Is this a Good Long Block 360?

The site is www.rebuilt-jeep-engines.com Not computer savvy sorry no link. I know this is the age old debated question. the cost is 1248.00 with 150.00 core. Description I cut and paste follows. Sorry its kinda long.

Here it is:

What is the description of Jeep engine long blocks?
    All long blocks come with cylinder head(s) attached and valve train installed. Valve covers, timing cover, intake manifold and oil pan are not included.

All long blocks have NEW valves, valve springs, valve keepers, push rods, rocker arms, fulcrums, lifters, camshaft, timing chain (belt), timing gears, valve guides (diamond honed), three angle seats, cam, rod and main bearings, pistons, piston rings, rod bushings (if applicable), gaskets and oil pump.

All cylinder blocks, cylinder heads, crankshafts and connecting rods are cleaned and shot penned and magnafluxed for cracks. All bolt holes are tapped.

Cylinder blocks are bored to each piston and diamond honed to 18RMS finish. All oil galleys are hand brushed with white cleaning brushes and cylinders are hand cleaned with cleaning solution and white towels.

Cylinder heads have each valve guide diamond honed, seats are three angle. After assembly, heads are vacuum checked for valve seating.

Crankshafts are ground and polished to 12RMS. Each oil galley is hand brushed with a white cleaning brush.

All connecting rods are honed.

ALL OUR REMANUFACTURED LONG BLOCKS MEET OR EXCEED ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT SPECIFICATIONS

What are the Jeep engine specifications?
    Jeep Engines remanufactured by our remanufacturing line meet or exceed O.E.M. specifications.
    - New Manley valves
    - New Elgin valve springs and keepers
    - New Badger pistons
    - New Hastings molly rings
    - New Dynagear timing gears and Durabond cam bearings
    - New Dynagear timing gears and chain
    - New Elgin lifters, push rods, rockers, balls and nuts
    - New Dynagear oil pump
    - New FelPro gaskets
    - Cylinder heads are pressure checked
    - Diamond honed valve guides
    - Three angle cut valve seats
    - All head surfaces are broached
    - Blocks are bored with deck plates, cylinder walls are diamond honed
    - Crankshafts are ground and polished for .002 clearance
    - Camshafts are ground to O.E.M. specifications, hardened and polished
    - Connecting rods are sized to .002 clearance
    SOLD the 88GW and replaced with an Expedition. Still love JEEPS and will get another soon.
  • Ernzo
    327 Rambler
    • Jul 24, 2001

It's interesting. THis site, and details look real good. HOwever ther was a recent thread there about reblt motors, and a place in Spokane came up. HEre is the link.

Although it looks a little differernt (?), it must be the same place. Frankly, these specs look terrific to me, I would check out the warranty, get some refrences etc. If you DO buy one, I would really check it out carefully for quality prior to installing.
    Ernzo
    84 GW 'Louise' Bone Stock.
    Runs like a Champ.
    First Place Winner Ouray 2002 'Lowest Jeep'

'Homer" 1949 Dodge Wayfarer Roadster

(Both named after my Great Grandmother, Louise Homer)

1978 Dodge B300 w/Chrysler 360 - 727

Denver, Colorado

Comment

• GED
      258 I6
      • May 20, 2002

Sorry, I'm not good enough enought to tell you if this is a good engine.

I just noticed that this website do NOT list AMC401 as a Jeep engine.
      Wouldn't it be cool if we could swap a rebuilt 401 in place of our 360s.
      Gilles-Eric
      "La Goulue", '89 GW, reman. stock 360 with MSD6D & TBI, 727/229, 131K miles, 31x10.5 BFG AT.

Comment

• FSJeeper
        King of Unfinished Projects
        • May 20, 2000

But for the 3 angle valve job and resizing the rods, most engine rebuilders pretty much stick to those specs in their advertising. May use different parts manufacturers but they are all similar. In short, this could be considered an average rebuild.

One thing I noticed I would steer clear from, they are not using new cams but regrinding the old cams. These are known to not be hardened back to spec and do not last. This is a shortcut way for them to shave $50 to $75 off their costs. I would only go with a name brand cam.

For that price, you could take your block down to a reputable machine shop and go the extra mile with blueprinting, line boring, precision balancing, better pistons, gapless rings, and a good cam and lifters. Most machine shops have engine builders or know of builders that will do it right. Plus you have direct contact with the responsible parties if something does go wrong.
        In Process: 91 Wagoneer, D61/71 axles with 3.07 gearing, NV4500, NP205. Cummins 6BT.

Back burner project: Crew cab M715, Cummins/Allison/Rockwell Tcase/Dana 61/Dana 71.

Comment

• nhl77
          258 I6
          • Apr 11, 2002

I would be careful about the cam like FSJeeper said. It seems like a good price but how much for shipping? Is it included in the price? Shipping from Seattle to Albany could be expensive. Also take into account shipping the core back.
          89 GW<br />Edelbrock Everything<br />MSD Ignition<br />New everything and still more to go

Comment

• 88GW
            258 I6
            • Nov 21, 2000

I agree with the cam situation as well. I have already spoke with them and they will put in the cam I spec'd out to them. As far as shipping goes I will have to get more info. as well as a core return charge too. Some of you mention building a motor for this price. I have priced it out here and it will approach 2000 dollars easily and there is no guarantee that I will be able to use my OE block or heads if they have cracks.
            SOLD the 88GW and replaced with an Expedition. Still love JEEPS and will get another soon.

Comment

• FSJeeper
              King of Unfinished Projects
              • May 20, 2000

When you turn your core in they check for cracks in the block and heads. If cracked, they will not accept the core. AMC engines have a very high nickle content and are not known for cracking.

I am beginning to realize that stuff is a lot cheaper in Texas than on the West or East coast.

Look at it this way, by the time you pay shipping both ways (longblock/core) and then run the risk of having your builder on the wrong coast if something goes wrong, I think you would be money ahead having it done locally.

The trick is to start posting on local car club boards and find one of the smaller owner operated machine shops and stay away from the big outfits.
              You may have to go rural, but if you find the right shop, I think you can get it done for around the same price as that mass produced shop in Spokane.
              In Process: 91 Wagoneer, D61/71 axles with 3.07 gearing, NV4500, NP205. Cummins 6BT.

Back burner project: Crew cab M715, Cummins/Allison/Rockwell Tcase/Dana 61/Dana 71.

Comment

• 88GW
                258 I6
                • Nov 21, 2000

I called this place again. There name is S & S machine shop out of Spokane Washington. Has anyone heard of this place? It was mentioned in another thread but I couldn't understand the post. It will cost me 1568.00 with shipping and I would be able to keep my old motor. Any Ideas??

Comment

• TexasJ10
                  360 AMC
                  • Jan 03, 2002

Do they balance all of the rotating componants as well?
                  * 1981 stepside, 360, 727, 208, almost stock daily driver.
                  * 1982 Laredo j-10, 360, 727, in rough shape and in the process of being rebuilt with 401, NV4500, Klune,
                  . NP205,d60 front, d70 rear, fender work and minimal lift. It will probably take 10 years
                  * 1973 jcab mounted on 1983 j20 frame. 360/t18/208 d44/d60. Almost completed

Comment

• khurst
                    232 I6
                    • Jun 05, 2000

Well, I guess I am the Guinne pig--I'll let you know as soon as I get my 401 from them. I did alot of research(3 yrs looking) and did notice what fsjeeper said about the cam. I had them install a comp cams 260, molly rings, and a dbl roller timming chain. I also had them balance the engine with a flex plate and harmonic balancer that they provide. As far as my research has indicated they have a 2% return rate. Not bad considering-however they will only pay half the shipping back to them in the event something does go wrong and there 7 yr/70K warrenty is pro-rated. I went with them cause I couldnt find anyone else who matched there warrenty and had a 401 not to mention the shipping price was really reasonable(250 to my door). If you want hold off and I will let you know how this one runs I would hate to see anyone else get burned. Later, Kirk
                    1989 Mint condition \"Gold\" Grand <br />4\" Rusty\'s Lift W/1\" blocks<br />Mint \"Sand\" Interior<br />401 AMC .040 Over<br />AFB 625 Cal. Carb<br />Harland Sharp Roller Rockers<br />Holley Street Dominator Intake<br />Comp Cams 260H<br />727/229 with Shift Kit<br />3.54 R&P\'s<br />32X11.5 radials on 5 Spoke Alloys<br />Everything works incl. the Rear Window wiper!<br /><br />76 CJ-7<br />3.54 R&P\'s<br />3\" Lift<br />32X11.5\'s<br />Built AMC 401 V-8 <br />TH-400/Quadra track<br /><br />\"Jeeps are built--not bought!!!\"

Comment

Working...
                    X