X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Elliott
    Cowboy Up
    • Jun 22, 2002

*** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
    ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• jpcoutts
      304 AMC
      • Jun 28, 2002

Thanks Elliott. I'll have to compare all of the numbers I have and take them to the parts store to look in the books of parts that are still available from various sources. I need to determine if any of the M715 parts interchange with the other D70 parts. There seems to be a better supply of M715 parts out there. I went to pull the wheels off of my truck and took my 4 way lug wrench forgetting that the lug nuts are 1", so I came home without any new info. I also got a copy of the parts manual for M715's from the Zone.
      Jim C
      '67 J3000 Dually
      '86 J20
      '79 CJ5(in pieces)
      '86 CJ7 Doesn't need anything(so why do I have it?)
      Correction- it just needed a water pump!

Comment

• jpcoutts
        304 AMC
        • Jun 28, 2002

I received my parts manual today. Thanks Russell.

The part numbers for the drums are 8.245-2 943-518 and 8.245-2 919-657

It looks like the two#'s are interchangeable.
        Last edited by jpcoutts; 08-05-2009, 09:11 AM.
        Jim C
        '67 J3000 Dually
        '86 J20
        '79 CJ5(in pieces)

Comment

• jpcoutts
          304 AMC
          • Jun 28, 2002

Now that I've looked at the parts manual I'm confused about the hardware such as springs, pins, clips and adjusters for the drw. It looks like there is no separate listing for the drw trucks. I can't help but wonder if they just left that out or if you actually use the same parts shown for some of the other axles. The diagrams are the same. The only differences shown are for the axles that have automatic adjusting brakes, non-auto adjusting and the differences for trucks with T/C mounted e-brakes(mine has it). Is it possible that the 13" brakes use the same hardware as the 11" & 12." I left my book at the office and I'll scan the pages and post later today I hope.
          Jim C
          '67 J3000 Dually
          '86 J20
          '79 CJ5(in pieces)

Comment

• jpcoutts
            304 AMC
            • Jun 28, 2002

Here's a copy of the page from the parts manual for the brake drums:

You'll have to click on it to be able to read it.
            Jim C
            '67 J3000 Dually
            '86 J20
            '79 CJ5(in pieces)

Comment

• Elliott
              Cowboy Up
              • Jun 22, 2002

I'm sure there's guys on the M715 Zone that will have parts kicking around you can use Jim.
              *** I am collecting pics and info on any factory Jeep Dually trucks from the J-Series at the new Jeep Dually Registry.
              ***I can set you up with hydroboost for your brakes: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=106056

Comment

• Elliott
                Cowboy Up
                • Jun 22, 2002

What's the NAPA (or AutoZone, or Advance, etc) part number for the brake shoe return spring for the -715? I need to get a set prior to doing my brakes this coming weekend.

I have a 67 715, and I was wondering if anyone out there has any part numbers for the brake drums front and rear? Mine could probably be turned, but I thiknk I just want some new ones. I havent done the search by measurements yet so I just thought I'd ask first. I work at a parts store and thought someone out there may have found something from the civilian worls whihc might fit a stock setup. What has to be indexed with relation to the hubs and drums?

Comment

• jpcoutts
                  304 AMC
                  • Jun 28, 2002

Originally posted by Elliott
                  I'm sure there's guys on the M715 Zone that will have parts kicking around you can use Jim.

Thanks Elliott. I did a little looking over there and there was a post that seems to confirm that the return springs are the same as other J trucks. One of the members used them on his M715 as direct replacements. Still nothing about drums though. I'll keep after it!
                  Jim C
                  '67 J3000 Dually
                  '86 J20
                  '79 CJ5(in pieces)

Comment

• Elliott
                    Cowboy Up
                    • Jun 22, 2002

Ah, I see the difference and will post some pics. The dually D70 has drums that mount on the backside of the hub with the studs going through the hub flange. On the M715 the drum mounts over the hub and the studs go through the hub flange and then the brake drums... if I am looking at the schematic correctly. (Edit: this info is correct) I'll post some pics. I believe this is correct though, on the M715 it would have been designed this way to be able to remove the brake drums separately from the hub/axle shaft for quick tear down. On the drw you had to take it all apart to get the drum off. The D70 M715 spindles have the same dimensions (from the measurements I have (which I can share) as the DRW D70 so you could potentially upgrade to the M715 hub/drum assembly.

DRW D70:

M715 D70 Drum assembly:

Link to Gladiator D70 Spindle Measurements:
                    http://www.fullsizejeeps.com/jeeps/files/Users/Elliott/Spindle.jpg

M715 D70 Stub/spindle Measurements:
                    Everything looks the same as the Gladiator D70 except two dimensions:
                    - The diameter of the inner bearing diameter surface is 2.250" (the Gladiator D70 is 2.22).
                    - The diameter of the seal surface is 2.750" (the Gladiator D70 is 2.68).

http://www.fullsizejeeps.com/jeeps/files/Users/Elliott/D70-M715-Stub.JPG
                    Last edited by Elliott; 08-09-2009, 07:52 AM.

Comment

• jpcoutts
                      304 AMC
                      • Jun 28, 2002

You hit it exactly Elliott. If I have to go the M715 hub/drum route the question will be whether or not the shoes, wheelcyls., and other parts will be the same. I'm almost to the point that I'm willing to take a chance that my drums are useable and move forward with plans to just replace the shoes, wheelcylinders and small parts, which will work great unless the drums are too thin. There's a fellow at the Zone that is looking for some spring part #'s for me which I hope will confirm that the standard J3000 springs will work.
                      Jim C
                      '67 J3000 Dually
                      '86 J20
                      '79 CJ5(in pieces)

Comment

• Elliott
                        Cowboy Up
                        • Jun 22, 2002

Are you aware those rear wheel cylinders are likely unavailable? The M715zone.com has threads describing what year F250 wheel cylinders to use and how to fit them to your drum backing plates.

Comment

• Tornado230
                          350 Buick
                          • Sep 14, 2008

For what it is worth, I ran across someone who has a complete rear axle from a dual-wheel FC-170. Don't know if it is the same or not.
                          Contact me for more info.

Comment

• jpcoutts
                            304 AMC
                            • Jun 28, 2002

Thanks for the tip, I sent you a PM. FWIW I almost hate to scavenge parts from a FC170 DRW which I think must be the only Jeep truck more scarce than a J truck dually like mine!
                            Jim C
                            '67 J3000 Dually
                            '86 J20
                            '79 CJ5(in pieces)

Comment

• Elliott
                              Cowboy Up
                              • Jun 22, 2002

I think it is the same but you will definately want to verify that the WMS is the same if you are going to want the whole axle for possible use. I've seen conflicting info on the WMS for those and that was on the FC site... I believe it uses the same hubs/drums and has the same offset on the pinion... unlike the M715 in those three regards.

Comment

• jpcoutts
                                304 AMC
                                • Jun 28, 2002

I'm just looking for parts since I'm sure the WMS is different. I may simply ask the seller to measure it.
                                Jim C
                                '67 J3000 Dually
                                '86 J20
                                '79 CJ5(in pieces)

Comment

Working...
                                X