• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cma
    350 Buick
    • Jan 26, 2012

Worst Case, Engine Fire

Guys, yesterday i had a engine fire started from the distributor. For luck it burned down only the distributor and all wires and hoses around this area.

I got the information that AMC`s had problems with fuel fumes and the one or other distibutor burned down.

I know now that i will install a extinguisher, it was horrible, the time until i had water to delete it. For luck the fuel sparked not, otherwise she would burned down completly.....

Any other fire victims?
    Markus!

Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

Note: Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. - Mike Tyson

Cherokee Chief Laredo, 360 cui, selec trac, black, 12/1982

Picture story:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1019823...eat=directlink
  • CTGW
    232 I6
    • Jun 12, 2018

Wow! Scary for sure. Didnt know that was a problem but i have certainly smelled gas fumes...
    Adding a fire extinguisher to the list of necessary parts.
    1987 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• Don S
      • Feb 06, 2002

Sad to hear of the fire.

Not wanting to bore you here's the story.
      In 1988 I had one in Colorado at about 11,000 feet. This was Poughkeepsie Gulch were 4x4s should be at least slightly better than stock. I was pushing that a little bit in my 1976 Waggie. At a steep angle gasoline leaked from bowl gasket down fuel line dripping on tiny exhaust leak. A massive fire erupted from the other pooled leaked fuel before I could move to a more level spot to fight the fire. I jumped out grabbing my new in the box Kiddie fire extinguisher. I popped the hood singeing some unneeded hair. I triggered this beautiful red device. BUT? dear hearts? there were no happening? read as zero effect. I saw dollar signs in the black smoke? after trying two more times I looked at the gauge, the needle was leisurely laying at the bottom of the gauge. I yelled at my wife? First off never yell at your wife!
      Tune in next week for part two?

Never mind. The wife handed me a gallon jug of good old Ft. Worth tap water?
      Well yes, I know, I was once a firefighter that had fought a few car fires? with CO2.
      And that is shocking with the engine still running.

Meanwhile back on the mountain I laughingly pored water on the gasoline fire while still able to smell some burnt hair. Amazingly the fire went out.
      Even more amazing after five pushes We coasted to a stop in front of a garage next door to a motel with a vacancy in Ouray, lent a CJ-7 and went to supper.
      Surprisingly I was not ripped off for repairs and a new set of sparkplug wires.
      Ever since I carried two fire extinguishers neither of which are the Kiddie brand.

The most difficult part of this was, it was my second day of quitting smoking after thirty years. I still ain't had one! And the Waggie did Poughkeepsie Gulch a couple more times
      later.

Good luck.. Don S..

BTW? This was able to happen due to a little less oxygen at 11,000 feet.
      Sold our 1976 Wagoneer 406, MC4300, TH400, QT, TruTrac, 2" lift, 31x10.50s, duel Optimas,
      It?s took us over 161 Colorado Mountain Passes, 3 Jeep Jamboree USAs & 2 Ouray Invasions from 1985 to 2010
      ACRONYMS & ABBREVIATIONS HERE

Comment

• letank
        AMC 4 OH! 1
        • Jun 03, 2002

aaaaack, terrible story, sorry for your scare.
        From the distributor side especially, what distributor do you have, oem or hei?
        whag aboug powef steering fluid leak? hydraulic fluid leaks are worst for fires.
        Michel
        74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
        85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• Mikel
          • Aug 09, 2000

I spoke with a past owner of my '66 Toronado. He said that back in the day, the carburetor caught fire as he pulled into a car wash. He thought "this is my chance to collect the insurance money". Then someone showed up with a fire extinguisher and put out the fire
          1969 M715 6x6
          1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• letank
            AMC 4 OH! 1
            • Jun 03, 2002

remember to spray thru the grille, never pop up the hood, it will allow more air to feed the flames!
            Michel
            74 wag, 349Kmiles on original ticker/trany, except for the rust. Will it make it to the next get together without a rebuilt? Status: needs a new body.
            85 Gwag, 229 Kmiles. $250 FSJ test lab since 02, that refuses to give up but still leaks.

Comment

• SJTD
              304 AMC
              • Apr 26, 2012

I can see that working with CO2 or Halon but a dry chem?
              Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• cma
                350 Buick
                • Jan 26, 2012

Thanks for sharing your story!

Originally posted by Don S

Sad to hear of the fire.

Not wanting to bore you here's the story.
                In 1988 I had one in Colorado at about 11,000 feet. This was Poughkeepsie Gulch were 4x4s should be at least slightly better than stock. I was pushing that a little bit in my 1976 Waggie. At a steep angle gasoline leaked from bowl gasket down fuel line dripping on tiny exhaust leak. A massive fire erupted from the other pooled leaked fuel before I could move to a more level spot to fight the fire. I jumped out grabbing my new in the box Kiddie fire extinguisher. I popped the hood singeing some unneeded hair. I triggered this beautiful red device. BUT? dear hearts? there were no happening? read as zero effect. I saw dollar signs in the black smoke? after trying two more times I looked at the gauge, the needle was leisurely laying at the bottom of the gauge. I yelled at my wife? First off never yell at your wife!
                Tune in next week for part two?

Never mind. The wife handed me a gallon jug of good old Ft. Worth tap water?
                Well yes, I know, I was once a firefighter that had fought a few car fires? with CO2.
                And that is shocking with the engine still running.

Meanwhile back on the mountain I laughingly pored water on the gasoline fire while still able to smell some burnt hair. Amazingly the fire went out.
                Even more amazing after five pushes We coasted to a stop in front of a garage next door to a motel with a vacancy in Ouray, lent a CJ-7 and went to supper.
                Surprisingly I was not ripped off for repairs and a new set of sparkplug wires.
                Ever since I carried two fire extinguishers neither of which are the Kiddie brand.

The most difficult part of this was, it was my second day of quitting smoking after thirty years. I still ain't had one! And the Waggie did Poughkeepsie Gulch a couple more times
                later.

Good luck.. Don S..

BTW? This was able to happen due to a little less oxygen at 11,000 feet.
                Markus!

Picture story:

Comment

• cma
                  350 Buick
                  • Jan 26, 2012

Stock Distributor.
                  Powersteering does have new hose and line. In the next weeks i will after arrival of the new parts check again the source, start, of the fire.

Originally posted by letank
                  aaaaack, terrible story, sorry for your scare.
                  From the distributor side especially, what distributor do you have, oem or hei?
                  whag aboug powef steering fluid leak? hydraulic fluid leaks are worst for fires.
                  Markus!

Picture story:

Comment

• ShagWagon
                    350 Buick
                    • Apr 10, 2016

Sounds like fuel pump or hose leak.

It's right there.
                    87 GW- Fitech EFI,Fitech FCC,Skyjacker Hydro 4" lift,BFG AT KO2 30",Dynamax muffler,MSD distributor,MSD 6al box,Blaster2 coil,ACCEL 8mm,.045 gap,Edlebrock perf 4bbl intake,Elgin perf cam,HD alum radiator,Powermaster 150alt,Alum HD H2O pump,Serhills tailgate harness,Cowl screen mod,Evil Twin grab handles,Rstep's custom AMC lock knobs

Comment

• letank
                      AMC 4 OH! 1
                      • Jun 03, 2002

I was looking at your excellent bunch of pictures, is your fuel filter oriented properly with the return at 12 o'clock, the smaller hose 1/4" is supposed to be on top or above the main feed of 5/16" to the carburetor
                      Michel

Comment

• cma
                        350 Buick
                        • Jan 26, 2012

Do you think it could be one of the causes?
                        I have to check when i am next time at the truck.

Originally posted by letank
                        I was looking at your excellent bunch of pictures, is your fuel filter oriented properly with the return at 12 o'clock, the smaller hose 1/4" is supposed to be on top or above the main feed of 5/16" to the carburetor
                        Markus!

Picture story:

Comment

• letank
                          AMC 4 OH! 1
                          • Jun 03, 2002

Originally posted by cma
                          Do you think it could be one of the causes?
                          I have to check when i am next time at the truck.

Not too sure, but time to check the proper orientation of the fuel filter lines. I went to the extreme and relocated the fuel filter on the inner fender so the fuel does not cook above the valve cover, check my links in the signature. The wrong fuel filter orientation will usually create poor fuel delivery and poor performance

Something was set on fire and you need to find out what are the culprits, as it may not happen to one of us

Good luck
                          Michel

Comment

• JeepJeepster
                            350 Buick
                            • Sep 04, 2014

Have you checked the emissions wiring thoroughly? I try to talk about it as often as possible to get people to check it/add protection to that circuit. Its basically unprotected from the factory and given its location its easy for it to short out.
                            2004 Jeep Liberty
                            1998 Jeep ZJ 5.9
                            1994 Jeep ZJ I6
                            1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 360

Comment

• cma
                              350 Buick
                              • Jan 26, 2012

Emissions wiring? You mean the vacuum circuit? What can you protect there?

Originally posted by JeepJeepster
                              Have you checked the emissions wiring thoroughly? I try to talk about it as often as possible to get people to check it/add protection to that circuit. Its basically unprotected from the factory and given its location its easy for it to short out.
                              Markus!

Picture story:

Comment

Working...
                              X