• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vacaisle
    snide. snarky. grease covered.
    • Mar 18, 2013

Accelerator pump question

I'm wondering if I put the wrong accelerator pump in. My kit came with two. One has a slightly longer shaft. Would the longer shaft yield a bigger shot of fuel?
    89 Grand Wagoneer
    145,000 miles, TFI, MSD 6a
  • tgreese
    • May 29, 2003

Originally posted by vacaisle
    I'm wondering if I put the wrong accelerator pump in. My kit came with two. One has a slightly longer shaft. Would the longer shaft yield a bigger shot of fuel?
    You mean the height of the button on the diaphragm? You should use the one that looks like the one that came out of there.

The pump shot is already adjustable, by choice of which holes you put the rod into. That is specific to your engine too.
    Tim Reese
    Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.
    Browless and proud: '82 J20 360/T18/NP208/3.73, Destination ATs, 7600 GVWR
    Copper Polly: '75 CJ-6, 304/T15, PS, BFG KM2s, soft top
    GTI without the badges: '95 VW Golf Sport 2000cc 2D
    ECO Green: '15 FCA Jeep Cherokee KL Trailhawk

Comment

• FSJunkie
      The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
      • Jan 09, 2011

I think they mean the push rod on the diaphragm itself.

The carb rebuild kits often come with two pump diaphragms: one with a little button on it, and another with a long shaft. Somewhere else in the kit should be a small rod that if placed on the button diaphragm, should bring it to the same height as the shafted one.

Differences in length here will have an effect on the accelerator pump shot. The accelerator pump diaphragm should be not quite all the way out with the throttles completely closed, and the diaphragm should be all the way in when the lever on the throttle shaft hits the throat body. That way, the full volume of the pump can be used.
      '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• JeepWrencher
        232 I6
        • Feb 13, 2011

From what I remember when I rebuilt mine one of the shafts is for a manual and one is for an automatic.

It functions by pushing a bubble of fuel into the throat of the carb when you stab the peddal down. This is to make for better throttle response and acceleration.

I agree with the statement that when you rebuilt it you should have replaced it with the one that came out of it. I needed the longer shaft for my 83 J10.
        1983 J10 Short Bed
        AMC 360 / 727
        230,000+ miles and counting

No mods just keeping Darkhorse running

Comment

• vacaisle
          • Mar 18, 2013

Yes. The push rod is what I'm referring to. I have the longer one in now. I bought a longer one and a shorter one, then months later bought a rebuild kit which came with the longer one. It had the longer one in it.
          The issue I'm having is when I first start up in the morning I get a nearly un-noticable lag in acceleration. After about 2 times accelerating it goes away. It could also be choke related or maybe cold operation related. I'm just nit-picking because I just finished getting the carb dialed in perfect.
          89 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• jpcoutts
            304 AMC
            • Jun 28, 2002

I vote for warm-up related issues.
            Jim C
            '67 J3000 Dually
            '86 J20
            '79 CJ5(in pieces)
            '86 CJ7 Doesn't need anything(so why do I have it?)
            Correction- it just needed a water pump!

Comment

• vacaisle
              • Mar 18, 2013

Yeah I'm not going to sweat it. It's pretty minor.
              89 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• Rich88
                AMC 4 OH! 1
                • Nov 20, 2008

...The issue I'm having is when I first start up in the morning I get a nearly un-noticable lag in acceleration. After about 2 times accelerating it goes away. It could also be choke related or maybe cold operation related. I'm just nit-picking because I just finished getting the carb dialed in perfect.
                That would most likely be because the choke pull off is a tad bit too lean for the initial cold condition. You could fuss with it... BUT if it starts up acceptably, I'd leave it alone and count your blessings. However, if the lag thing gets worse with colder weather then time to get out your 1/4" driver for more pull-off adjustments.
                Jeepasaurus (Wagonus Grandi quadropedus)
                88 GW 360-.030 over/2150/727/229/Posi, e-pump, AC (broke), tow package, Monroe Air Shocks, TFI, CTO-Free, AIR-free, oil & tranny coolers, dried knuckle blood all over, GM 350 TBI in a box, waiting...
                "You're an FSJ'r when the parts guys memorize your name, phone & credit card#."

Comment

• serehill
                  Gone,Never Forgotten.
                  • Nov 22, 2009

yup

choke adjustment

80 Cherokee
                  360 ci 727 with
                  Comp cams 270 h
                  NP208
                  Edlebrock performer intake
                  Holley 4180
                  Msd total multi spark.
                  4" rusty's springs
                  Member, FSJ Prissy Restoration Association

If you can't make it better why waste your time. No use repeating the orignal mistakes. I'm to old to push it that's why.

Comment

• vacaisle
                    • Mar 18, 2013

Originally posted by Rich88
                    That would most likely be because the choke pull off is a tad bit too lean for the initial cold condition. You could fuss with it... BUT if it starts up acceptably, I'd leave it alone and count your blessings. However, if the lag thing gets worse with colder weather then time to get out your 1/4" driver for more pull-off adjustments.
                    Why would you want a richer mixture for cold weather?
                    Wouldn't the pull off adjustment only affect the initial start up, then once you blip the throttle and take off the choke unloads based on the weakening spring tension in the housing?
                    Isn't this what rotating the choke cover is for?

Seems to me you'd want a leaner mixture so the choke unloads faster in cold weather.

Edit: I just read an older post of mine where you pretty much answered my question.
                    When I start up first thing in the morning, the engine cranks and fires right up then a split second later loses power and regains it immediately. Then everything is normal and smooth. I thought this was a choke issue like it wasnt getting enough air, so I checked the initial choke plate clearance and opened it up a little more

Originally posted by Rich88
                    The choke plate adjustment (turning the round choke thermostat housing) determines how long the choke stays on. The Haynes method is how I do it too. The tighter the spring, the longer it takes to unwind as it heats up.

The choke pull-off determines how much the choke plate opens upon initial start-up. This is critical to the choke mixture, which determines how well it stays running....
                    I'm still curious though; why would you want a richer mixture in colder weather?
                    Last edited by vacaisle; 09-11-2013, 10:03 PM.
                    89 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• tgreese
                      • May 29, 2003

I'm still curious though; why would you want a richer mixture in colder weather?
                      The rich mixture overcomes the gasoline's tendency to condense out on the inside of the manifold passages when the engine is cold. Liquid fuel won't fire. The colder the ambient temp is, the harder it is to get fuel/air mix to the cylinders. Rich mixture - condensing fuel = normal mixture, more-or-less.
                      Tim Reese
                      Maine beekeeper's truck: '77 J10 LWB, 258/T15/D20/3.54 bone stock, low options (delete radio), PS, hubcaps.

Comment

• FSJunkie
                        The Nigel Tufnel of the FSJ world.
                        • Jan 09, 2011

Some of the bog is just the nature of a carburetor when the choke is engaged, and is to be expected, but you can minimize it.

As said, the accelerator pump needs to be adjusted just right, and as I mentioned, I set them to their richest position. Of course, I don't have to pass emissions...In the days before emissions, it was customary to over-fuel the pump, anyway.

There are a couple of things to check on the choke. One is the thermostat setting, or the round black cover. It adjusts how the enrichment reacts to increased airflow through the carb. If this adjustment is too lean, the engine will bog on tip-in and falter out at higher RPM when cold. Too rich, and tip-in will be messy and load up at higher RPM. The thermostat should be set to the index mark, and never moved more than 1/4 inch from it if necessary. It shouldn't need to be messed with if everything else is working properly.

The pulloff adjustment mainly affects the idle mixture, but also has an effect on tip-in. It is hard to get adjusted because an engine will idle on a very lean mixture, but will bog like crazy when loaded or accelerated. Set it to factory and go from there. When you set it to the factory setting, use a drill bit on the choke plate and use a finger to push the plate towards the closed position to take out slack in the linkage.
                        '72 Jeep Wagoneer Custom, 360 V8

I love how arguements end as soon as Ristow comments. Ristow is right...again.

Comment

• vacaisle
                          • Mar 18, 2013

I readjusted the choke today after discovering that the mark on the cover was slightly off center. The old cover I had which cracked and broke didn't have a mark on it and was positioned so that the electric connection was pointing straight down when it was on the truck. So that's how I put the new one on since I didn't see the mark and don't have any experience with 2150 choke settings. The Haynes manual says to set it 1.5 to 2.5 notches rich. 2 notches rich according to the mark and index notches was the point at which the choke plates fully closed when rotating the housing with the cam on the highest step so that's where I made the adjustments. I started it up and drove around a bit and didn't have the issue so hopefully this was the problem. I think I would describe the issue I was having as a messy acceleration and not a bog according to your descriptions of too rich vs too lean.

This is what it looks like. Does this seem about right?

The Haynes manual is really confusing because the diagram has slightly different instructions than the printed instructions. The diagram says to rotate 90* rich while the print says to rotate until the plates close. This is true for both the pull off adjustment and the fast idle cam adjustment. So this time I went with the printed instructions. Also on ristows rebuild post he doesn't mention rotating the housing.
                          89 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

• tgreese
                            • May 29, 2003

Looks like the hot air connection is capped off. The choke is thermoelectric and won't work right without both electric and hot air connections.
                            Tim Reese

Comment

• vacaisle
                              • Mar 18, 2013

Yes I know. It just takes a little longer to unwind.
                              Does that orientation of the housing look about right though?
                              89 Grand Wagoneer

Comment

Working...
                              X