• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 78 WIDETRAC
    350 Buick
    • Aug 19, 2003

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
    Ooooohhh... that roof top condensation looks Terrible! I would not know where to start in combatting it. Maybe just crack the windows at night?

Look up some of Driftwoods posts. He put some of those LEDs on his headliner and they look pretty snazzy.

I guess I should have mentioned it had snow and ice on it for 4 or 5 days. But I'm sure that will be the case again. I've always wondered exactly what the products folks put on the under side of the roofs do. Sound deaden or insulate or both? Especially Jeeps that are parked outside and are not daily drivers.

Rang, I was surprised to see that much condensation and oddly enough my drivers window was open abut 3/8 of an inch.

Thanks for the tip on Driftwoods posts.

Comment

• FleetFox
      258 I6
      • Apr 04, 2018

Not sure if you got your shackles to roll back yet or not. But if they didn't, I'd like to offer up my experience with a similar issue. I installed my front leaves and new shackles on a bare frame with no weight and the shackles we're rolled back. I figured as I added weight, they would roll forward. They did some, BUT what we eventually figured out was that there was not enough force to push the shackle past the mid point of the arc. Even with 2000 additional pounds now pressing down. The solution was to unbolt the top shackle bolt and compress the spring with a 4x4 and ratchet straps until the shackle bushing was past the 6 o'clock position in the hanger. After that every thing was peachy. You just have to get the shackle past the apex of the arc. Notching the 4x4 to fit just inside the shackle hanger helps. It's physics, but I can't actually explain the "why."

before:

[/url]1229191400 by highsiera

after, look close:

[/url]0301201534 by highsiera

Fleet Fox

Comment

• MysticRob
        350 Buick
        • Nov 26, 2019

Originally posted by 78 WIDETRAC
        I guess I should have mentioned it had snow and ice on it for 4 or 5 days. But I'm sure that will be the case again. I've always wondered exactly what the products folks put on the under side of the roofs do. Sound deaden or insulate or both? Especially Jeeps that are parked outside and are not daily drivers.

Rang, I was surprised to see that much condensation and oddly enough my drivers window was open abut 3/8 of an inch.

Thanks for the tip on Driftwoods posts.
        Condensation that bad is likely due to leaking (or lack of) seals and other ingress areas allowing too much water in the cabin. That water then can't get out and condensates on the roof under the right conditions. Seal that bad boy up, floors and all, to keep the wet out.
        --Rob--
        1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
        https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
        https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
          350 Buick
          • Aug 19, 2003

Originally posted by FleetFox
          Not sure if you got your shackles to roll back yet or not. But if they didn't, I'd like to offer up my experience with a similar issue. I installed my front leaves and new shackles on a bare frame with no weight and the shackles we're rolled back. I figured as I added weight, they would roll forward. They did some, BUT what we eventually figured out was that there was not enough force to push the shackle past the mid point of the arc. Even with 2000 additional pounds now pressing down. The solution was to unbolt the top shackle bolt and compress the spring with a 4x4 and ratchet straps until the shackle bushing was past the 6 o'clock position in the hanger. After that every thing was peachy. You just have to get the shackle past the apex of the arc. Notching the 4x4 to fit just inside the shackle hanger helps. It's physics, but I can't actually explain the "why."

before:

[/url]1229191400 by highsiera

after, look close:

[/url]0301201534 by highsiera

Fleet Fox

Thank you for sharing the method you used. I haven't been under it in quite a few days. I need to replace one shackle before I do this.

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
            350 Buick
            • Aug 19, 2003

Originally posted by MysticRob
            Condensation that bad is likely due to leaking (or lack of) seals and other ingress areas allowing too much water in the cabin. That water then can't get out and condensates on the roof under the right conditions. Seal that bad boy up, floors and all, to keep the wet out.

Well Rob that's good news. I have holes in my floor and most gaskets need replaced. So once they are solid. The condensation should be eliminated. Or at least way less.

The stuff you installed on the under side of your roof. Is it just for sound or some sort of insulation also?

Comment

• MysticRob
              350 Buick
              • Nov 26, 2019

Originally posted by 78 WIDETRAC
              Well Rob that's good news. I have holes in my floor and most gaskets need replaced. So once they are solid. The condensation should be eliminated. Or at least way less.

The stuff you installed on the under side of your roof. Is it just for sound or some sort of insulation also?
              I noticed your passenger side floorboard/door/coffee cup pic shows a LOT of water ingress on the floor so figured that could be it. Check your kick panel vents too, lots of junk gets in there, and just soaks forever. I took off my fenders to blow it out better. There are some small areas a wand will fit in.

That 80mil Kilmat is more a sound deadener, but I'm sure it has some slight insulating properties too. I put it on just to rid myself of that tinny sound when faced with large areas of sheet metal.
              --Rob--
              1988 Jeep Grand Wagoneer / Baltic Blue & Tan

My build thread:
              https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...er-restoration

My Howell TBI Install How-To:
              https://forums.ifsja.org/forum/tire-...rb-e-o-d-452-2

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                350 Buick
                • Aug 19, 2003

Originally posted by MysticRob
                I noticed your passenger side floorboard/door/coffee cup pic shows a LOT of water ingress on the floor so figured that could be it. Check your kick panel vents too, lots of junk gets in there, and just soaks forever. I took off my fenders to blow it out better. There are some small areas a wand will fit in.

That 80mil Kilmat is more a sound deadener, but I'm sure it has some slight insulating properties too. I put it on just to rid myself of that tinny sound when faced with large areas of sheet metal.

I have the kick panel vents removed, I did remove all of the debris after I pulled them. Water does come in the kick panel vent cut out's. I feel better that it's water coming causing it. I can reseal the jeep as I go. I need to get the floor pans in!!!! for a start. I do need to fix a small leak in the lower right corner on windshield gasket too.

Comment

• I haven't been on the forum since you picked her up. Came in to post up in the movies thread an old Perry Mason scene with a J truck.
                  You're really turned my decade of neglect and two more of run hard, put away damp, into something else.

The original trans was a T-176, had been gone through at least twice, once by me. Marginal box behind a 360, and wouldn't live a week behind the 401 I wanted to put in, hence the swap.
                  Check the bellcrank crossbar and pivots on the clutch. Had the extend linkage 3"with the bellhousing and trans swap.

IIRC the engine was an '84 wag, something around 80k on it. We didn't do anything major to it, but I remember the chips in the oil pump gears, so must have opened it some to check bearings and such.

Don't ask about the panel bond patch on the passenger floor, or the 3/4" hole under it. Rather embarrassing.

You brought her back from the grave, and I couldn't be happier. Great job
                  Art
                  ASE Master Collision Tech
                  "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                    Administrator
                    • Oct 31, 2016

Awesome post gold hammer! Not my truck but soooooo cool that you checked in like that. I wish the previous owner of my rig was as communicative.
                    Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                    (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                    (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                    79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                    (Cherokee Build Thread)
                    11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                    09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                    00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                      350 Buick
                      • Aug 19, 2003

Originally posted by goldhammer
                      I haven't been on the forum since you picked her up. Came in to post up in the movies thread an old Perry Mason scene with a J truck.
                      You're really turned my decade of neglect and two more of run hard, put away damp, into something else.

The original trans was a T-176, had been gone through at least twice, once by me. Marginal box behind a 360, and wouldn't live a week behind the 401 I wanted to put in, hence the swap.
                      Check the bellcrank crossbar and pivots on the clutch. Had the extend linkage 3"with the bellhousing and trans swap.

IIRC the engine was an '84 wag, something around 80k on it. We didn't do anything major to it, but I remember the chips in the oil pump gears, so must have opened it some to check bearings and such.

Don't ask about the panel bond patch on the passenger floor, or the 3/4" hole under it. Rather embarrassing.

You brought her back from the grave, and I couldn't be happier. Great job

Thanks goldhammer. It's good to see you on the board! It is an awesome Jeep.

I keep chopping away at it. I hope to get it a point to drive the 90 miles south and let you drive it again. I'll have to look for a 3/4" hole. I don't recall seeing it. That's good news about the motor. It did fire up really easy once I got the sniper hooked up.

I think I'm off 1 tooth on the distributor because I'm not able to see the balancer timing mark in the cover numbers. It hovers just below them! vacuum is at 19 inches. So I know its close. I'd like to verify the timing though.

If you find yourself in Portland It would be a pleasure to have you swing by and take a look at it in person.

Comment

• There was something about a 12 ga, that the safety got pushed off and the wife's '06 bolt handle got caught in to the trigger. You'll find it from under, up by the toe kick up.

I'm just happy to see some life back in her.
                        Art
                        "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Comment

• 78 WIDETRAC
                          350 Buick
                          • Aug 19, 2003

Originally posted by goldhammer
                          There was something about a 12 ga, that the safety got pushed off and the wife's '06 bolt handle got caught in to the trigger. You'll find it from under, up by the toe kick up.

I'm just happy to see some life back in her.

That's some cool history! Reminds me of a Hank Jr song.

After I read that I had to go and look for the hole. Yep. It's right there. I have seen it, because it's round I didn't think about it much.

Here is the pic.

She's a great Jeep, I feel lucky to be the one that got her. It's a perfect Jeep for me. I always wanted a factory 4 spd. This one just happened to get a major trans upgrade.

I kept my eye on the sale thread because it was in my home town.

I should remember this thing running around. There were more Jeeps in town in the late 70's - 80's.

My Dad had a 78 red/ white Widetrack S, and a white 66 Gladiator with a Cabover Camper. I know the Hurleys on Airport Rd had a tan/ brown 79 J-20.

Thanks again for that story and posting up on the board. Keep in touch. I want you to drive or at least ride in the Beast again.

Comment

• The tan/brown rig has been gone for the last few years.

We were headed out hunting and stopped at Circle K for coffee. She wiggled her rifle to undo her seatbelt...Ended the hunt early. A few ricochet pellets caught the fins in the radiator. Had to top off the coolant on the way home, pull the rad that day and get repaired the next day. Still haven't figured out how it didn't take out a big window at the store. Barely heard it go off.
                            Art

Comment

• SJTD
                              304 AMC
                              • Apr 26, 2012

Why did she have a loaded firearm in the vehicle while headed out hunting????
                              Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• We got complacent...and it bit us. Never chambered a round after that to this day.

Every once in awhile, we manage to survive stupidity, in spite of ourselves.
                                Art

Comment

Working...
                                X