X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kaiserjeeps
    360 AMC
    • Oct 02, 2002

Well thanks. I am trying to do an update. I am having issues posting the pictures. They are also to big for this site to try and attach. I will try in the morning with a full cup of coffee when I have more time.

Edit: Tried to upload from photobucket and no go. PB has been more of a PITA lately. Tried to upload to another site and it's not working. Sorry for the teaser. I will get it sorted out and post up.
    Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; 11-21-2010, 10:38 AM.
    Melford1972 says...
    I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
    -----------------------
    I make wag parts
    1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
    1969 1414X Wag in avocado mist
    1970 1414X Wag in avocado mist
    1968 M715 restomod
    2001 Dodge 3500
    2002 Toyota Tundra
    2006 Toyota 4runner was Liz's, parked

Building a m715 over at the m715zone
    Beloved wife Elizabeth Ann Temple Murdered by covid on Oct 19th 2021

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
      360 AMC
      • Oct 02, 2002

Well it seems I have resolved my picture posting problem. It seems I keep losing family though. Thanksgiving week I lost the third member of my family this year. You know what they say about coming in three's. I am supposed to be walking this road I guess. I have to add I am grateful to be working on jeeps in the process. I have gotten a few things done.
      I had a few more edge repairs. Just like the ones posted before. The door pillars also had some rust that needed work.

After close examination of the back side I determined I could melt back the thin spot to good metal, then back fill it and dress it back. You have to be careful with rust in places like this. If the whole panel had the same pitting then I could chase rotten metal with the TIG torch till the cows come home.
      If that was the case I would have to brace the car more and start replacing the door pillar. The 69 outside was in better condition if it was needed.

After, I used a 1.5 inch drum sander on a straight shaft air tool for the final finish.

The other side.

After.

I did some clean up on the center panel. The welded edges were taped off and the bottom side cleaned and painted then partially undercoated where it was difficult to reach once landed in the vehicle.

Then it was time for the final fitting. I elected to start with this panel since it goes in one spot and one spot only. The rear panel was a custom GMC donor panel. Starting there could mean misalignment found later. So the center was on its way in permanent. I used every single clamp and vise grip I owned. I even bought a few new ones beforehand. Every part had to be clamped and in place before the first weld. Because once you start...

Melford1972 says...
      I’d say I feel sorry for you, but I really don’t, Mr. “I-stumble-into-X-models-the-way-most-people-stumble-into-Toyota-Carollas.” 🤣
      -----------------------
      I make wag parts
      1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
      1968 M715 restomod
      2001 Dodge 3500
      2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
        360 AMC
        • Oct 02, 2002

The new panel went in nice. Here is joining it with the wheel house.

The back edges with the only original floor left in the old girl. Less than 2 square feet. LOL!

It looks good under there! No daylight!

Next is the rear custom section. The two body mount holes fell right in a bad spot. Right on the ramp of a raised stamping in the bed floor. I needed a flat section to put a plug in later.
        After some experimenting I drew a bulls eye on a piece of tin. Using a bigger section of pipe on the bottom and a smaller one on top, I was able to use my bearing press to make a part to weld in. I needed to match the depth and press accordingly. They looked like little mini gold pans when I was done. I used a hole saw on the panel. I had to be careful on the depth. I did not want to scar the floor valley bottom.

I used super magnets since I could not reach the back side. That would tell me when it fit right. Ever try to weld around a magnet? Let alone a SUPER magnet. Was quite a light show getting it tacked in place to weld.

So it looks like this.

I use a unibit to make the holes. If you want a true round hole use a unibit.
        Drill bits leave sloppy holes. This is important if you are drilling a dash for an indicator light or something you may see. I will drill the final size after I find the right metal plug.

So that leaves the rear floor. I see two cuts to make. The front edge and one small interference fit on one the original parts. Then drill and punch several dozen holes in all the panels to weld up. Home made spot welds.
        The inner rockers are going in also. I will test fit everything with the two factory inner panels I carefully extracted from a 79 years ago. Then slip the new hammer formed ones in and make any small adjustments needed. There is always a minor push or pull to do. Then off with all the weld through primer. That has been the biggest mistake of this entire project.
        I think it might be fine with a MIG or stick. But trying to TIG weld with that garbage on there has made lots more work. Avoid the stuff and paint it and seal it properly when the work is done like it is supposed to be.

Almost in.

It was not planned to have the little sunken stampings in the original jeep body part line up with the raised part of the GMC panel. That was just a lucky bonus.

Happy holidays every one.

Stay tuned.
        Last edited by Kaiserjeeps; 12-20-2010, 12:23 AM.
        Melford1972 says...
        -----------------------
        I make wag parts
        1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
        1968 M715 restomod
        2001 Dodge 3500
        2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• mud89
          304 AMC
          • Nov 18, 2009

Really impressive and very interesting, that's professional work
          J10 sportside '81, J10 Golden Eagle '77, Wagoneer '65, Gladiator '64 + parts rigs

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
            360 AMC
            • Oct 02, 2002

Whats behind floor number 2?

Clean black paint and zero rust...

It's a circus around here, but I managed to land the 2nd floor section in for a permanent ride in Sadie the full size jeep. It looks good. I get really careful when I am about to assemble something for a final time. I double check everything. It seemed to be a go. The body mounts had equal loading with each other and the others front and back. It is time to make it done deal.

Here is the floor underside painted and ready for under coating later.

I love cleco's. I found a speed nut from the hardware store can be used to clamp when the hole is to big for the selected cleco. I drilled the holes a bit big to make sure to capture all three layers. I made the floor panel poke half way through the weld hole to get a good bond.

Here it is welded but not sanded back. It says GMC because this was a donor panel from a short bed GMC truck rear half. I got it from Classic industries. They were great to deal with. It actually made a really easy add in. If anybody wants to tackle this in the future, a GMC panel worked great.

Lots of clamping and spot welding.

I was finishing the front edge when my Girl drove up. I am going to take a minute for the holiday.
            There is a little bit of wavyness in this edge. From terminating every raised stamping right next to this edge, I get some dolly and hammer work to make it level. One tiny area at a time. Then sand it back and plannish the weld to level and stress relieve. I am going to need to grow super long arms or have to get help with that work.

I want to take a picture of that clamp in the back ground and post it. 21 bucks for 4 at TP tools. They are real cool. They make a butt weld level between two panels. Makes it a lot easier to make it flat.

Have a good Christmas everyone. Don't forget to embelish on your good fortune no matter what your situation this year. I hope you all get everything you need and even a little of what you want.

Merry Christmas.
            Melford1972 says...
            -----------------------
            I make wag parts
            1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
            1968 M715 restomod
            2001 Dodge 3500
            2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Mikel
              • Aug 09, 2000

Holy cow! Amazing work!
              1969 M715 6x6
              1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                360 AMC
                • Oct 02, 2002

I'm just replacing body panels Mikel. Now your 6x6, that's amazing. I have been following that. But thanks.
                Melford1972 says...
                -----------------------
                I make wag parts
                1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                1968 M715 restomod
                2001 Dodge 3500
                2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• Mikel
                  • Aug 09, 2000

Originally posted by Kaiserjeeps
                  I'm just replacing body panels Mikel. Now your 6x6, that's amazing. I have been following that. But thanks.
                  I´ve done enough body panel replacing myself to admire good work. And what you´ve done requires a great deal of talent!
                  1969 M715 6x6
                  1963 J300 Swivel frame

Comment

• chef
                    232 I6
                    • Feb 15, 2010

Originally posted by Mikel
                    I´ve done enough body panel replacing myself to admire good work. And what you´ve done requires a great deal of talent!
                    X2
                    See build here
                    http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=125460

Comment

• Kaiserjeeps
                      360 AMC
                      • Oct 02, 2002

Happy New Year

I got the two edges welded together. Lots of spot welds and quick quenching with a wet rag to shrink it back. I used (6) 36" 1/16 filler rods. Quite a bit.
                      As I welded I had to align. It is not realistic to expect a flat panel after a weld like this. Keeping it as flat as possible as you go is helpful to making the final plannishing work turn out well. I used several straight edges from the little 3" square to a 3 foot long one.

This was my worst concern. I really like import car scissor jacks to move stuff. I gave a push under the rig to bring this up to level.

Next it was wait for a friend to come over and help plannish the weld. I am pleased to say that there is to much body panel in the way to reach. It took a few minutes to establish the coordination between the hammer and dolly. You can tell when you get a solid hit. This levels the panels completely and takes away the weld stress. It also reduces the chances of things moving later on the road after it is put in use.

Get comfortable. Every miss strike with the hammer leaves a correction to be done. I had to plannish from both sides. Don't over plannish. If you do it will stretch the metal from the hammer blows. Thats when you move to plastic hammers. Or wood or rawhide etc.

It looks pretty good.

I need to weld the inner rockers to the bottoms of the new posts. It is tight in there and I will need to shorten my TIG torch to fit. I am eager to put down some primer and see it all one color. It has been in the 20's here. To cold even with a wood stove.
                      Melford1972 says...
                      -----------------------
                      I make wag parts
                      1969 CJ-5 41 years owned
                      1968 M715 restomod
                      2001 Dodge 3500
                      2002 Toyota Tundra

Small violin, large amp

Comment

• twisted frame
                        350 Buick
                        • Apr 01, 2003

I'm learning a lot here. Thank you. Your photos and details are very valuable. It looks amazing.
                        Mike
                        1973 J4000, 360 2bbl, T18, Model 20,
                        44, 60-2, 32x11.5x15" on 15x8" CJ wagon wheels.
                        Now in black primer.

Comment

• Coryd55
                          350 Buick
                          • Jan 23, 2010

Hard to find someone that can work with metal like that now. Great job. I am jealous of your metal skills.

Looking forward to more updates.
                          1976 Cherokee Chief Build - Update 7/3/2014

Chief for sale - contact via PM if interested.

Comment

• jaber
                            Dragin Az
                            • Oct 17, 2003

I too wish I had those skills.
                            I'm trying to learn though...
                            Jeff

'43 cj2a
                            '51 Willys p/u
                            '51 Willys Parkway Conversion
                            '68 Panel Delivery
                            '74 CJ5
                            '75 J-20 Wrecker
                            '75 J-20 Cummins service bed
                            '77 J-10 p/u
                            '79 Cherokee
                            '88 Grand Wagoneer
                            '98 Grand Cherokee

Comment

• Dr Teeth
                              258 I6
                              • Nov 14, 2006

Wow!

I think we may need to change the title of this thread from "Another 70 wagoneer build" to "THE 70 wagoneer build".

Amazing work so far, the attention to detail is top notch.

Todd
                              1971 Wagoneer Buildup:
                              Part I: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=66564
                              Part II: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=69476
                              Part III: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=80046
                              Part IV: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=87303
                              Part V: http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showthread.php?t=129156

Comment

• FTP
                                230 Tornado
                                • Nov 09, 2010

That is truely incredible workmanship. I know guys that would have said no way and sent it to the scrap pile.

If you are looking for more practice I could get my 72 to you...Heck, I don't even mind if you tear another one apart to put mine back together!

Nice work, I agree w/relabeling this post as THE Rebuild - all of the others are not rebuilds in comparison.

Comment

Working...
                                X