X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rayray311
    232 I6
    • Jun 21, 2017

Yeah the issue is the constant light rain in Portland....I didn't have this issue down in San Diego

Originally posted by Crankyolman
    I got rid of my carpet but mine drips in the same place when the door is open. If it bothered me I'd probably use a small piece of aluminum tape to direct the water a little bit away from that spot. It's only a temporary solution but it only rains 8 or 9 months out of the year here.

Comment

• ZackN920
      350 Buick
      • Nov 18, 2015

On my driver side, when the door is opened it always drips on the sill. Stays outside of the carped. Passenger side I'm unsure of. Never sat in the passenger seat while its raining outside.

Um, so if this is such an issue I got a simple solution that I would try. Clean that area under the drip rail end and put a light bead of caulk or something of the such, directly from it and aim it a little farther out. What you want to do is form something the water is going to want to follow. Right now there is nothing to follow with the door open, so it just falls off and goes straight down, which apparently is right on your carpeting. You may need to build it up a little bit as well, but I would think that would work for light rain. Now if its pouring outside, your just F'd in the A.
      1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer-"Big Jeep"

AMC 360, TF727, NP229, 2.72 gears, 2" lift
      Rancho 44044 springs, Rusty's 2" AAL, TFI w/ MSD C/R
      ...in pieces for more rust repair...

Comment

• aaronsjeep
        232 I6
        • Feb 19, 2009

cowl vent

Have you cleaned out the vents behind the front wheels? You will need to remove the fenders, or go through the vents in the footwells. I've done both, I prefer to remove the front fenders and enlarge the drains while cleaning them out.

I suspect that you have water coming in from more than just where you think. My temporary solution (while living and daily driving a FSJ) in PDX has always been to remove the front carpet. It's always soaked and my Jeeps like yours have been completely rust free and I haven't wanted to leave soaked carpet in there.

Do some searches on cowl vent leak. Because there is no screen in the cowl vent beneath the windshield over the years they fill up with pine needles, leaves and other debris and plug the drains. When that happens water comes in your floor vents and keeps your front foot wells constantly wet.
        1987 GW 5.3, 4l60e NP241c

1988 GW 5.3, 4l60e, NP229

1990 GW 6.6, 727, NP229

Comment

• rang-a-stang
          Administrator
          • Oct 31, 2016

I've cleaned mine. I can watch the water drip down the inside of my door when it's wet.
          Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
          (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
          (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
          79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
          (Cherokee Build Thread)
          11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
          09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
          00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• Brynjminjones
            258 I6
            • Jun 11, 2017

Originally posted by rang-a-stang
            I've cleaned mine. I can watch the water drip down the inside of my door when it's wet.
            Have you checked the water shield underneath the door panel?
            Properly sticking that on with butyl tape and making channels to guide water to the correct places fixed 99% of the major water leaks in my GW.
            1991 Grand Wagoneer - Hunter Green. All stock. Rebuilt 360, .030" over with Melling MTA-1 cam.

1998 Cherokee (XJ) 4.0
            1997 Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 4.0
            1974 Ford F100 390

Comment

• rang-a-stang
              Administrator
              • Oct 31, 2016

Funny you should ask. When I first saw where the water was coming from, I assumed my door was full of dirt and dust like the rear quarters were. When I removed the panel it was clean and dry inside the door and the drains were open (no rust! yay). Then I closed the door, poured water down my windshield and watched it leak like rayray311 showed. My plastic liner was old, dry rotted and falling apart. Then this thread happened:
              Curious I've seen contractors use it, and always forget to ask. The stuff is usually blue, sometimes clear. Various widths, fairly thick, sticks very well but does not leave behind any residue even if left for long periods. I think this stuff would work well on doors behind panels @ least out here in SoCal to seal them up. Not

I added this stuff to my list of to-do projects.

Honestly, I am hoping rayray311 does figure out a way to keep the water from coming inside the door. at all.
              Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
              (Cherokee Build Thread)
              00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• rayray311
                232 I6
                • Jun 21, 2017

Im gonna work on it next weekend...start tinkering around.
                I pulled out the carpet this weekend to let it dry out

Dirty...cleaning suggestions?

Funny you should ask. When I first saw where the water was coming from, I assumed my door was full of dirt and dust like the rear quarters were. When I removed the panel it was clean and dry inside the door and the drains were open (no rust! yay). Then I closed the door, poured water down my windshield and watched it leak like rayray311 showed. My plastic liner was old, dry rotted and falling apart. Then this thread happened:
                Curious I've seen contractors use it, and always forget to ask. The stuff is usually blue, sometimes clear. Various widths, fairly thick, sticks very well but does not leave behind any residue even if left for long periods. I think this stuff would work well on doors behind panels @ least out here in SoCal to seal them up. Not

I added this stuff to my list of to-do projects.

Honestly, I am hoping rayray311 does figure out a way to keep the water from coming inside the door. at all.

Comment

Get a couple of cans of Tuff Stuff upholstry cleaner from any box store (Bi-Mart, Wally, or parts store), and an upholstry brush. May take a couple of sessions, but it works well for the heavy dirt/mud and grease/oil. Once you scrub it, wipe down with clean rags or an old towel.
                  Art
                  ASE Master Collision Tech
                  "Beast" - 81 "S" W/T, 85-360, T-18, Lock-rite,wag alloys, 31-10.50 Pro Comp MT's, Warn 8274 in a fabbed bumper/deer strainer(tested and approved)

88 XJ, 3" lift, 31-10.50's, custom bumpers and winch/tow bar mounts, Warn 9500HS, custom sliders/steps, camo paint, & headliner

Member: FSJ Prissy Restoration Assoc.

Comment

• JoggerFogger
                    232 I6
                    • Jul 31, 2017

Welcome to Portland! We don't tan, we rust.
                    1972 Wagoneer > Isuzu 4BD1t > 4L80E > D300 > D44
                    www.civilrock.com/72-Wagoneer

Comment

• rayray311
                      232 I6
                      • Jun 21, 2017

Aint that true...this Jeep spent its whole life in southern California....its not used to this wet climate

Originally posted by JoggerFogger
                      Welcome to Portland! We don't tan, we rust.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                        Administrator
                        • Oct 31, 2016

This would be ALOT easier to explain if I took pictures (but I didn't); I think I have an idea, rayray.

So on my doors, there is the rubber door seal that is pressed on the body that is supposed to seal it from wind/water. This is the one we all know and love (and we can see you have it in your pictures, too). Then, when I open my door, there is a rubber channel that is pinned inside to the leading edge of my doors near the hinges.
                        This picture is not my jeep but you can see a tiny part of it on the far left of the picture:

On my driver side, this little rubber channel is soft and flexible and seems to land in a place so that when my door is closed, the water that spills out of the drip rail, would hit this little rubber channel and drain down the outside of my door seal. On the passenger side, the seal is torn and hard so I THINK water is getting passed that little channel and running down the inside of door and pooling on my floor.

I don't see this little rubber channel drawn in my service manual.

If that is the case with mine (I'll try to experiment with it this weekend) maybe that is Jeep acknowledging that water does overflow the drip rail at that spot. When you look at the inside of your door jamb, do you see this little rubber channel, too?
                        Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                        (Cherokee Build Thread)
                        00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• rayray311
                          232 I6
                          • Jun 21, 2017

Yeah I saw that I actually don't have that rubber piece....Im gonna experiment with some ideas this weekend to try to resolve this. Ill post what I do

This would be ALOT easier to explain if I took pictures (but I didn't); I think I have an idea, rayray.

So on my doors, there is the rubber door seal that is pressed on the body that is supposed to seal it from wind/water. This is the one we all know and love (and we can see you have it in your pictures, too). Then, when I open my door, there is a rubber channel that is pinned inside to the leading edge of my doors near the hinges.
                          This picture is not my jeep but you can see a tiny part of it on the far left of the picture:

On my driver side, this little rubber channel is soft and flexible and seems to land in a place so that when my door is closed, the water that spills out of the drip rail, would hit this little rubber channel and drain down the outside of my door seal. On the passenger side, the seal is torn and hard so I THINK water is getting passed that little channel and running down the inside of door and pooling on my floor.

I don't see this little rubber channel drawn in my service manual.

If that is the case with mine (I'll try to experiment with it this weekend) maybe that is Jeep acknowledging that water does overflow the drip rail at that spot. When you look at the inside of your door jamb, do you see this little rubber channel, too?

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                            Administrator
                            • Oct 31, 2016

I have a spare driver's door and the rubber channel thing is on it. I'll send it to you for shipping if you want it. I can't remember if it's soft or not off the top of my head.
                            Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                            (Cherokee Build Thread)
                            00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• rayray311
                              232 I6
                              • Jun 21, 2017

My driver door is good...I don't need the whole door. I probably just need to build myself that little rubber channel....unless its just easier to just buy that piece from you

I have a spare driver's door and the rubber channel thing is on it. I'll send it to you for shipping if you want it. I can't remember if it's soft or not off the top of my head.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                                Administrator
                                • Oct 31, 2016

HAHA! That's what I meant! I can send you the rubber channel and it's little pins that hold it in, not the whole door.
                                Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                                (Cherokee Build Thread)
                                00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

Working...
                                X