• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ls3waggy
    232 I6
    • Dec 01, 2014

Vent window restoration doesn't seal

Hey guys, having an issue with one of my vent windows.

I bought a kit from BJ's to do both front vent windows, just about done with the first one (what a job) and upon installation I can see some light through the vent window seal around the pivot area.

2018-08-25_11-27-57 by Jimmy Casey Photography, on Flickr

2018-08-25_11-28-10 by Jimmy Casey Photography, on Flickr

My drivers side factory one which I haven't started on yet seals perfectly..

Any ideas what I should do here? Or what I did wrong?
  • Tripwire
    AMC 4 OH! 1
    • Jul 30, 2000

is it a hole or bunched up material? cant see it so good in the pic, it appears the window closed correctly?, you might try massaging it out/ stretching with some heat and use a wooden dowel to press the gasket tight into the corners - or buy some black silicone an put a dab in the hole?

It's just a grand ol time replacing that seal - right??? hey at least you had the guts to do it
    trip
    Last edited by Tripwire; 08-25-2018, 06:07 PM.
    Abort? Retry? Ignore? >

86 GrandWag. Howell fuel Injected 360. MSD Ignition + Dizzy. 727/229 swap BJ's 2" Lift and 31's

88 Wrangler 4.2, Howell TBI and MSD - Borla Headers w/ Cat-back + winch and 31's AND a M416 trailer (-:

Comment

• ls3waggy
      232 I6
      • Dec 01, 2014

Originally posted by Tripwire
      is it a hole or bunched up material? cant see it so good in the pic, it appears the window closed correctly?, you might try massaging it out/ stretching with some heat and use a wooden dowel to press the gasket tight into the corners - or buy some black silicone an put a dab in the hole?

It's just a grand ol time replacing that seal - right??? hey at least you had the guts to do it
      trip
      It just looks like there isn't enough material there to seal around the pivot point. The "hole" is just above the window in between the frame and the glass.

Yeah, it definitely sucks, I really just want it to work so I don't have to re do it haha

Comment

• Old Ironsides
        258 I6
        • Jul 06, 2014

Yeah I experienced the same thing when I did my Seals from BJs too. There is a 2" by 1/16" gap on both windows.

I was thinking of:

A) Going to a glass shop and seeing if they had a U shaped rubber gasket I can slip on the vent window to seal that gap,

Or

B) Getting a can of liquid plastic and making my own seal.

Haven't gotten around to it, I just turn the stereo up!
        Grant

Old Ironsides: '76 J-10, 401 (1406/2131/DUI/RV Cam), TH400, Part Time, 3" lift, 33s, 346K Miles
        Ironsides: '75 J-10, 360 (1406/2131/MSD), TH400 QT, 6" lift, 33s, 110K Miles
        '77 Cherokee Chief, 401/Th400, QT, 4" lift... Totalled
        '79 Wagoneer, 360, TH400, QT

Comment

• ls3waggy
          232 I6
          • Dec 01, 2014

Originally posted by Old Ironsides
          Yeah I experienced the same thing when I did my Seals from BJs too. There is a 2" by 1/16" gap on both windows.

I was thinking of:

A) Going to a glass shop and seeing if they had a U shaped rubber gasket I can slip on the vent window to seal that gap,

Or

B) Getting a can of liquid plastic and making my own seal.

Haven't gotten around to it, I just turn the stereo up!
          Going to attempt a liquid seal today.

Debating if I should leave the stock seal on the other side. Pretty disappointed in the aftermarket for these trucks lately haha

Comment

• SJTD
            304 AMC
            • Apr 26, 2012

Could you post a picher of the new one you haven't installed with the one you removed?
            Sic friatur crustulum

'84 GW with Nissan SD33T, early Chev NV4500, 300, narrowed Ford reverse 44, narrowed Ford 60, SOA/reversed shackle in fornt, lowered mount/flipped shackle in rear.

Comment

• ls3waggy
              232 I6
              • Dec 01, 2014

Think I figured out the issue.

Theres a sliver of weatherstrip that seems to be missing, not sure if it's a defect or not, definitely isn't something I cut off.

New one (passenger side)
              2018-08-30_11-55-53 by Jimmy Casey Photography, on Flickr

Old (drivers side)
              2018-08-30_12-00-59 by Jimmy Casey Photography, on Flickr

Comparing the two
              2018-08-30_12-01-56 by Jimmy Casey Photography, on Flickr

I'm not pulling the passenger one back apart, I'm debating if I wanna leave the drivers side on as the heat shrunk the weatherstrip. But it still seals fine.

Comment

• 440sixpack
                327 Rambler
                • Jul 21, 2016

When using repop parts you have to have reasonable expectations or you're going to be disappointed. they're seldom perfect, often not much good, and sometimes total crap. considering the ultra-low volume they sell we're lucky they make anything.

that said the vent seals I installed from Bj's fit and seal great. but I have the older style pivot so maybe that fits better.

Comment

• ls3waggy
                  232 I6
                  • Dec 01, 2014

Originally posted by 440sixpack
                  When using repop parts you have to have reasonable expectations or you're going to be disappointed. they're seldom perfect, often not much good, and sometimes total crap. considering the ultra-low volume they sell we're lucky they make anything.

that said the vent seals I installed from Bj's fit and seal great. but I have the older style pivot so maybe that fits better.
                  I understand some fitment issues, but not pieces missing. Especially for the almost 200 dollar price tag. Too much material makes sense, but not too little.

I can see there is an outline of a rubber piece thats supposed to be there but it isn't.

Comment

• 440sixpack
                    327 Rambler
                    • Jul 21, 2016

On '78 and older the pivot was altogether different. since mine fit fine I assume that's what they were made to fit. is it possible there is a pre and post 1978 seal option ?

Most likely they only make one and you just have to live with it but I'm not sure.

Comment

Working...
                    X