X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lindel
    Perfesser of Jeepology
    • Jun 15, 2000

Lest we all forget!! Bring your brain with you, too. Common sense, and rational thought, in an emergency are more precious than any medicine, or bandage that you can put in any type of kit.

Training, skills and knowledge are good, but common sense (which is becoming less and less common, BTW), along with an ability of not panicing will go further every time. More people have been saved because someone didn't panic, than because someone has some skill, or knowledge.

A lot of good ideas, and tips have been added here. Maybe we need to ask Adam to add a "medical page" to the IFSJA site, sort of like the tech pages. Not for gorey stories, but for first aid and safety tips.

Do we have any Medical Docs besides Eshan? I know we've got EMS types on the forum and mailing lists, maybe to act as moderators/guides? Just a thought.
    Jeep Grounds
    RRV Homepage
    Texas Full Size Jeep Association
    1987 Grand Wagoneer
    AMC 360/TF727/NP229
    1999 Wrangler Sport
    4.0L/AX-15/NV231

?Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction? by Ronald Reagan.

Formerly of DFW/Gun Barrel City, TX - eventually to return...

Comment

• Blackjack
      304 AMC
      • May 15, 2001

PC,
      There's something about superglue on a cut that scares me. There's got to be some nasties in that stuff that'll get into your bloodstream.

It sounds like a good idea in theory though.
      Just don't use it like in American Pie 2.
      That would suck [img]redface.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]
      Marc<br /><b>343 W6</b> <br /><br />You can\'t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline-it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer. -- Frank Zappa<br /><br />You\'re a feminist? aww isn\'t that cute........

Comment

• Joe H.
        304 AMC
        • Jun 03, 2000

Superglue is just dandy for smaller cuts...anything big, you're looking at stitches. I'm with you guys though...there's NO WAY I'm sewing myself up.

I do more hiking than off-roading, so I normally carry a little Walmart snakebite kit in my pocket. It's about the size of a butane lighter and twice as thick, and it's got everything you would need in it except antivenin. I bought my first aid kit at Sunday Dinner (local restaurant supply house). It's a general purpose kit for restaurants that has a little of everything, including my all-time favorite: clotting spray! Best thing in the world for cuts and scratches.
        1991 Grand Wagoneer<br />...stock daily driver

Comment

• CowKiller
          FSJ Executioner
          • Apr 03, 2002

a little hint, if there is anything liquid in the kit, don't let is freeze. we had that happen and didn't know about it. the next year, when we needed it, everything was ruined. we also keep a snakebite kit in ours because one guy in our club catches snakes(flybear).
          Corey Zakeosian
          2002 gmc 2500Hd duramax
          2000 Ford f-550 work truck
          1986 f350 6.9 diesel hp60 front, sterling 10.25 rear, 36x12.5 military wranglers. TOY!
          NO JEEP
          I am ready to meet my Maker. Wether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter

Comment

• desert_freak
            350 Buick
            • Dec 25, 2000

I seem to remember that not to long ago in our past one of the primary uses of super glue was to GLUE WOUNDS SHUT, some of our vets can probably elaborate on that Is there a large difference between surgical glue and over the counter super glue, I don't know but I know I will be adding some to my first aid kits

P.J.
            '74 J10, Soon SBC/700R4/208 on 35's
            '90 Wagoneer/Klune/208/SOA w/Custom Spring Hangers/HP D44 Alloy USA Axles/14 Bolt/Locked F&R/37" MTRs on H2 Rims/BJ's Bumpers/Custom Rock Sliders/Tad Rack...

Comment

• Oracle
              327 Rambler
              • Apr 07, 2002

A good bag/container for a med kit is one of the waterproof courier/document military surplus bags that periodically get offered by Sportsman's guide amongst others. You can get a lot of stuff in these and if you have to travel by foot to get somewhere, you just throw it over your shoulder.

Now i don't want to be anal about it, but depending upon how far 'out' you're going, you may want to talk to your doctor about a few things. Yes you CAN suture yourself, even do some minor surgery (don't ask) but in the absence of circumstances causing a huge adrenaline rush, it will hurt like holy jesus. Large lacerations are rarely sutured in the field, just packed and immobilized. If you are alone and face some serious blood loss, you have very little time so suturing becomes necessary HOWEVER, sewing is not easy at the best of times, I'd recommend one of the stainless staple guns. ANy farm or vet supply house will have them, FAST, and easy to do when its YOU that will be hurting. Takes some will power to force a needle through your own epidermis over and over again to close any sizable laceration the staples are more akin to yanking the football ankle tape off at the end of the game. Some of these chemical cold packs can make you a hell of a lot more comfortable, as can the heat packs in appropriate circumstances.
              Your friendly local physician can draw you up a prescription for several VERY useful things such as- a suitable (for you) antibacterial tablet (penicillin etc.); a topical painkiller (lydocaine comes to mind for those not allergic to it), some systemic pain killers i.e. "drugs" [img]smile.gif[/img] and perhaps even some nitroglycerin tabs in case someone has a heart attack, anti inflammatories, some cortizone based ointments for bug/wasp/bee bites, and even some zinc based ointments for various foot ailments.(bye the way, over the counter desinex does a BANG up job on nasty infected spider/wasp/bee stings.
              Just give some thought as to where you're going, how long you're going to be out, and how far you are from medical assistance. Then plan accordingly. Remember first thing you need is air, second is all the blood you can keep in you [img]smile.gif[/img] Those two will buy you the time necessary to deal with anything else that comes up.
              83GW, \"MudPUPPY\" <br />86\"BloodSucker\"-86GW,D44-AMC20 <br />88GW \"TheBLack\" Restored Luxo <br />88GW \"BABE\" A Wagonmaster beauty. <br />86 \"Mean Machine\" . blueprinted .03 over 401, 27gal tank, 4\" rearc\'d, 33x12.50 Laredos (REAT TIRE), Wheelwells whacked,4barrel Rochester, Manual choke, Hood Scoop, front brush bar, o2sensor with digital readout for tuning mix <br />2 90 Gen1 Mitsu Monteros, <br />2 91 Gen1 Mitsu Monty\'s<br />2 93 RangeRover County Lwb <br />1 95 SR Mitsubishi Montero GenII. <br />My Moab Rig: \"DodgeZilla\"<br />90 Cummins W350 Dodge PowerWagon,lifted,geared,locked and cocked 12k Ramsey,5spd and 205, 4.10\'s, Detroits front and rear,36\'s or 38\'s depending on mood Popup camper

Comment

• gwinn
                360 AMC
                • Nov 05, 2001

Just a couple of comments here:
                First, have on hand several pair of latex gloves. Second, along with your adhesive tape, bring a full roll of duct tape. Third, along with gauze, bring a roll of paper towels. I've come upon only one serious case where I've needed my first aid kit. I was proud of how prepared it was until that day. My wife and I patched up a motorcyclist who had driven off a 30 ft cliff. The most useful things I had to provide medical attention were my 7-gallons of water that I mixed 2-oz of iodine to on the spot. A full roll of paper towels, ( my gauze didn't go very far), and a full roll of duct tape. Unfortunately, I had but one pair of latex gloves and those were for my wife. We successfully repaired this guy, but my first aid kit is much larger now!
                1983 Cherokee Laredo "Gus"

Comment

Working...
                X