• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by Ristow
    as a fellow gearhead....sitting around talking about the time you bought new rockers for your engine and bolted them in is boring.

id rather sit around and talk about stuff like this. oddly enough,the why of it all rarely comes up .
    Didn't you find/use 1.7 stamped rockers on a few engines? Thinking they are no longer available IIRC as well.
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• Ristow
      • Jan 20, 2006

yeah,from jim miller. they were his now gone "econo series" and they were some nice rockers. go look in my 401 thread for pics. they had a big fulcrum,and you would set them at mid lift on the cam,and the top of the rocker would be 90 degrees from the stud when the installed height and pushrod length were correct.

he told me 90 bucks as i recall,came with poly locks. i shoulda bought every set he had,he was cleaning his shop out for a move. met my truck down in florida and handed them to my driver.

edit...it was 60 bucks. http://www.ifsja.org/forums/vb/showp...4&postcount=79

worked real nice with the performer grind cam.

jim miller, jim miller rockers, JM Miller, mid-lift, mid-lift rockers, mid-lift advanced rocker arm tech, advanced rocker arm tech, MEI, PVS, MRE, miller engineering, miller rocker arms, miller mid-lift, miller rockers, roller rockers, roller rocker arms, valve half lift, precision valve trains, racing engine tech, racing engine components, cylinder head tech, rocker arm tech, camshaft tech, advanced technical information, precision geometry, installed geometry, design geometry, mid-lift patent, rocker ratio, racing engines, cylinder heads, racing components, engine builders, mid-lift history, racing products, jim miller contact
      Last edited by Ristow; 04-09-2019, 07:42 AM.
      Originally posted by Hankrod
      Ristows right.................again,

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
      ... like the little 'you know what's' that you are.

Originally posted by Fasts79Chief
      I LOVE how Ristow has stolen my comment about him ... "Quoted" it ... and made himself famous for being an ***hole to people. Hahahahahahahahahha!

It's like you're unraveling a big cable-knit sweater that someone keeps knitting...and knitting...and knitting...and knitting...

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

I have a 360 in the garage I can use to mock up a set.
        We shall see what things look like.
        It is my opinion that it has many pros...and few if any cons.
        Tony

Comment

• jcisworthy
          232 I6
          • Apr 01, 2016

You can get the rockers with trunion upgrade without stands on ebay for about 150 delivered I believe.

I recommend the trunion upgrade and stands are available from GM relatively cheap. It has been a while but I think they are 15-20 dollars each

Stands are on ebay cheap also

Comment

• pickledtoast
            232 I6
            • Feb 13, 2018

I am planning on running LS1 rockers after my cam is broken in. I made new stands as the factory LS stand places the shafts too high. Milling the stand surface on the head is an option, but the $15 worth of bar stock and my free time was better. Plus I can run the factory 1.6 ratios for break in.

Difference between the LS1 and AMC pushrod cup is ~.040. LS is lower. I will know if there is an extra .040 worth of compression in the hydraulic lifter after I get this damn engine together.

I can't seem to upload photos here. Too new?

Comment

• babywag
              out of order
              • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by pickledtoast
              I am planning on running LS1 rockers after my cam is broken in. I made new stands as the factory LS stand places the shafts too high. Milling the stand surface on the head is an option, but the $15 worth of bar stock and my free time was better. Plus I can run the factory 1.6 ratios for break in.

Difference between the LS1 and AMC pushrod cup is ~.040. LS is lower. I will know if there is an extra .040 worth of compression in the hydraulic lifter after I get this damn engine together.

I can't seem to upload photos here. Too new?

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...c0&oe=5D023A47
              Nice...what installed spring height are you working with?
              Seems they used 2 different heights, which obviously effects things.
              Tony

Comment

• pickledtoast
                232 I6
                • Feb 13, 2018

I was at 1.800 before cutting seats and valves, which is when I did my stands. Oops. I'm now at 1.830 and may shim the stands a little but probably not, pattern still looks better than the factory rocker (which is not saying much).

I'm working with a 1990 AMC 360. Fixing a timing cover bolt hole oil leak lead to noticing .110 crank endplay, which lead to finding wiped out lobes (truck ran great honestly) and 2 scored cylinders. I was playing with some LS rockers on my desk while waiting for the engine to be bored. I paid $50 shipped for a clean looking set off ebay.

I should start a build thread.

Comment

• rang-a-stang
                  Administrator
                  • Oct 31, 2016

I should start a build thread.
                  Yes. Yes you should.
                  Chuck McTruck 71 J4000
                  (Chuck McTruck Build Thread)
                  (8.1L swap questions - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums​)
                  79 Cherokee Chief (SOLD, goodbye old buddy)
                  (Cherokee Build Thread)
                  11 Nissan Pathfinder Silver Edition 4x4
                  09 Mazdaspeed3 Grand Touring
                  00 Baby Cherokee

Comment

• babywag
                    out of order
                    • Jun 08, 2005

Well picked up a set of 16 w/ stands @ yard today...
                    $36.80 + tax
                    Look to be in good shape? smooth operation and pretty clean.

Last edited by babywag; 04-09-2019, 04:28 PM.
                    Tony

Comment

• jcisworthy
                      232 I6
                      • Apr 01, 2016

Cannot beat that price.

I just ordered a set with trunions installed for a 360 build in the near future. I have been using mini shaft adjustable rockers but decided to go back a torque and go factory LS rocker for this one.

I will post when I get into it

Comment

• pickledtoast
                        232 I6
                        • Feb 13, 2018

Nice price on those rockers! Nice flowmaster workbench too.

Comment

• babywag
                          out of order
                          • Jun 08, 2005

They got a bath...

Nice price on those rockers! Nice flowmaster workbench too.
                          I like my flowmaster workbench too

Tony

Comment

• Nikkormat
                            232 I6
                            • Jan 03, 2015

Awesome work guys! Eager to see how this works. Would love to do it to my beaters.

Comment

• JeepsAndGuns
                              AMC 4 OH! 1
                              • Jul 18, 2003

This seems very interesting. I will be watching this thread closely to see how it works out for you and what, if any issues you run into.
                              79 Cherokee Chief 401/T18/D20, MPFI fuel injection, hydroboost, otherwise stock.
                              Future mods: Caddy 500/NV4500/NP205, HP D60 front D60 smooth botom rear, 5.13 gears, 35x12.50's on H1 beadlock wheels. Warn M12000 winch.
                              93 Wrangler 4.6 stroker/AX15/NP231,SYE,CV, OME 2.5 lift, front hub conversion/big brakes, 31X10.50's Warn M10000 winch.

Comment

• KY79Honcho
                                230 Tornado
                                • Apr 19, 2016

This is a great looking upgrade. I need to dig thorough my extra LS parts and see if I have a set of rockers sitting around. My 76 J10(401) needs all the help it can get.
                                I would love to see a before and after dyno sheet to see what the gains really are. Similar to how they test on Motor trend "Engine masters" show.

Comment

Working...
                                X