• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FDSJr
    230 Tornado
    • Jan 08, 2016

Final electrical connections on Howell TBI install

I am coming down the home stretch on the installation of a Howell TBI on my 1991 GW. Can anyone give me a good hint on where to connect the lead that is labelled as "Switched 12 V Ignition Power". The lead is located inside the passenger compartment along with the fuse block, diagnostic connector, and ECM connectors. According to Howell it needs to connect to a 12 V source that is hot during BOTH crank (start) and run. According to the 91 GW wiring diagram there should be a green wire coming from the ignition switch that would a good spot to connect it, but I sure can't find that green wire or any other wires that originate in the ignition switch!!! Maybe there is a better, easier to find, location for the connection.
  • babywag
    out of order
    • Jun 08, 2005

I've always used the yellow wire of 2-wire duraspark ignition module plug.
    Under hood driver's side close to firewall.

Ignition switch wires are on top of steering column.
    You will need to drop column or remove instrument cluster to get good connection to any wire there.

TBI needs good power & especially ground.
    Run a dedicated ground to engine block.
    A poor ground will cause problems. Don't use a body ground.
    Tony
    88 GW, 67 J3000, 07 Magnum SRT8

Comment

• FDSJr
      230 Tornado
      • Jan 08, 2016

Thanks for the info. Dropping the steering column or removing the instrument panel is NOT going to happen!!

When I couldn't find an appropriate connection inside the passenger compartment, I had considered the yellow wire feeding the ignition module. Based on your comments, it sounds like that might be the best way to go.

Comment

• babywag
        out of order
        • Jun 08, 2005

Easy to tap into, I don't run the duraspark module anymore, but it would still be easy to tap in there.

Mine is used to trigger a relay mounted over on passenger side fender well.

Last edited by babywag; 09-03-2016, 10:09 AM.
        Tony

Comment

• FDSJr
          230 Tornado
          • Jan 08, 2016

I checked continuity between the battery positive terminal and the yellow wire to the module. There is continuity during both crank and run and no continuity when the key is off. That seems to be a perfect spot for the connection. I hope to have everything connected and ready to fire it up by Saturday.

Comment

• TexasJ10
            360 AMC
            • Jan 03, 2002

Originally posted by babywag
            Easy to tap into, I don't run the duraspark module anymore, but it would still be easy to tap in there.

Mine is used to trigger a relay mounted over on passenger side fender well.

I wonder what's been up lately that I haven't been able to view your picture posts lately. I just get a negative sign in a circle.
            * 1981 stepside, 360, 727, 208, almost stock daily driver.
            * 1982 Laredo j-10, 360, 727, in rough shape and in the process of being rebuilt with 401, NV4500, Klune,
            . NP205,d60 front, d70 rear, fender work and minimal lift. It will probably take 10 years
            * 1973 jcab mounted on 1983 j20 frame. 360/t18/208 d44/d60. Almost completed

Comment

• babywag
              out of order
              • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by TexasJ10
              I wonder what's been up lately that I haven't been able to view your picture posts lately. I just get a negative sign in a circle.
              Google discontinued picasaweb, and now photos seems problematic to host pics on this site.

No issues on other forums, but the version of vBulletin here seems picky.

Does is show for you now?
              Tony

Comment

• titanjeep
                230 Tornado
                • Aug 12, 2015

Google discontinued picasaweb, and now photos seems problematic to host pics on this site.

No issues on other forums, but the version of vBulletin here seems picky.

Does is show for you now?
                I am working the same installation and I would love to see a picture or diagram of your setup, but I am having the same issue with your pictures as some of the other members. Would you be willing to PM a picture/diagram?

Comment

• babywag
                  out of order
                  • Jun 08, 2005

Originally posted by titanjeep
                  I am working the same installation and I would love to see a picture or diagram of your setup, but I am having the same issue with your pictures as some of the other members. Would you be willing to PM a picture/diagram?
                  What do you need a pic(s) of?
                  Tony

Comment

• titanjeep
                    230 Tornado
                    • Aug 12, 2015

What do you need a pic(s) of?
                    I would love to see pictures of where you tapped into the crank signal and how you wired it into your relay and attached it to the Howell harness if you have them.

Comment

• babywag
                      out of order
                      • Jun 08, 2005

I would love to see pictures of where you tapped into the crank signal and how you wired it into your relay and attached it to the Howell harness if you have them.
                      Crank wire goes to either starter relay terminal, or easier IMHO the starter solenoid.

Power for ignition crank/run comes from old existing duraspark wiring connector. It simply runs to a relay so system gets full battery voltage.
                      If still running the DS module you can still tap into this wire easily enough.
                      I don't have a picture of the relays handy, but can take one later and post.

If needed I also created a easier to read TBI wiring diagram.

My system isn't really a Howell system, but is set up almost identical to it for CA smog purposes.
                      I added timing control, the Howell 50-state legal system doesn't utilize timing control.
                      Tony

Comment

• titanjeep
                        230 Tornado
                        • Aug 12, 2015

Crank wire goes to either starter relay terminal, or easier IMHO the starter solenoid.

Power for ignition crank/run comes from old existing duraspark wiring connector. It simply runs to a relay so system gets full battery voltage.
                        If still running the DS module you can still tap into this wire easily enough.
                        I don't have a picture of the relays handy, but can take one later and post.

If needed I also created a easier to read TBI wiring diagram.

My system isn't really a Howell system, but is set up almost identical to it for CA smog purposes.
                        I added timing control, the Howell 50-state legal system doesn't utilize timing control.
                        Thanks for the information. I still can't get the pictures to come up, but the diagram is awesome and I have been studying it.

What system are you running? I never found a CARB compliant system that also controls spark.

Comment

• babywag
                          out of order
                          • Jun 08, 2005

It's just a standard 1227747 system with timing control.
                          The GM ignition module is hidden inside a factory Duraspark box.

Far as the pictures, if I view this site on my iPhone pics do NOT show.
                          If I view from my android phone, or my laptop they show.
                          Not really sure why, but might be your issue?
                          Tony

Comment

• titanjeep
                            230 Tornado
                            • Aug 12, 2015

It took forever, but the Howell system is finally installed and running well. Thanks again for the information, I ended up using the yellow wire you identified.

Comment

• babywag
                              out of order
                              • Jun 08, 2005

It took forever, but the Howell system is finally installed and running well. Thanks again for the information, I ended up using the yellow wire you identified.

It'll run even better if you tune it. Costs a little, but worth it IMHO.
                              Tony

Comment

Working...
                              X