• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave Jeeper
    232 I6
    • Sep 08, 2019

1989 cruise control causes brake light problem

I had a 1989 Jeep Cherokee XJ (downsize, not FSJ) that had the same yellow cruise control module as my current Grand Wagoneer. I had that XJ for 25 years. One problem that came up when it was about 20 years old was that the brake lights were on and wouldn't turn off. When I traced the circuit for the brake lights, I found that the brake light wiring went through the cruise control module (presumably to turn off the cruise control when hitting the brakes). I opened up the module and found a burnt section of the circuit board that was shorting out. I was able to repair it and fix the brake lights and the cruise control.

Since the cruise module was being discussed, I thought that I would mention this in case it might help someone at some point.

David

Comment

• JeepJeepster
      350 Buick
      • Sep 04, 2014

Wonder if the ‘sensors’ or whatever it uses become corroded and it freaks out when it gets erroneous readings? Maybe moving the screws around cleaned the contacts?

I know there is a sensor on the speedo cable but how does it know throttle position? Or does it just keep giving it throttle till it satisfies the speed?
      2004 Jeep Liberty
      1998 Jeep ZJ 5.9
      1994 Jeep ZJ I6
      1989 Jeep Grand Wagoneer 360

Comment

• pickledtoast
        232 I6
        • Feb 13, 2018

I spent a little time this weekend with some wiring diagrams. I first checked the stalk switch and that ended up being faulty. Some jumper wires to duplicate the function and a test drive resulted in a functioning cruise. New stalk ordered. $21 for the stalk, $25 for the missing yellow cruise brain. Not bad.
        Last edited by pickledtoast; 11-19-2019, 09:42 AM.

Comment

• dbrownLFK
          230 Tornado
          • Oct 09, 2019

Originally posted by pickledtoast
          I spent a little time this weekend with some wiring diagrams. I first checked the stalk switch and that ended up being faulty. Some jumper wires to duplicate the function and a test drive resulted in a functioning cruise. New stalk ordered. $25 for the stalk, $30 for the missing yellow cruise brain. Not bad.
          Where/which stalk did you get? Same with the "brain." TGW wants top dollar for the stalk.

Comment

• pickledtoast
            232 I6
            • Feb 13, 2018

Originally posted by dbrownLFK
            Where/which stalk did you get? Same with the "brain." TGW wants top dollar for the stalk.
            I got this stalk from Amazon. Quality is ok, good for the price. $21

Brain I got off one of the facebook wagoneer pages for $25 shipped with the harness. I see them on ebay often for around $35.

Comment

• acct21
              327 Rambler
              • May 20, 2014

Originally posted by pickledtoast
              PM set as well.
              Sorry -- I don't get over to the forums as much as I used to.

We moved a couple years back, and all of my GW spare parts and goodies are still packed away in boxed, plastic tubs. I still have the GW (drive it every day), but I don't know that I could put my hands on that cc tester if I tried. Hopeful that when we warm up a little in the spring I can get all that stuff laid out and cataloged, but for now it is truly AWOL. Sorry.
              1990 Grand Wagoneer with HD towing package -- everything works! (for now...)

Comment

• Jep
                230 Tornado
                • Oct 25, 2020

Originally posted by acct21
                Sorry -- I don't get over to the forums as much as I used to.

We moved a couple years back, and all of my GW spare parts and goodies are still packed away in boxed, plastic tubs. I still have the GW (drive it every day), but I don't know that I could put my hands on that cc tester if I tried. Hopeful that when we warm up a little in the spring I can get all that stuff laid out and cataloged, but for now it is truly AWOL. Sorry.
                I imagine this may be a long shot but any chance you found that tester and still willing to loan it out?? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X